The Anime Thread: It's not just for kids! It's deep! It's EMOTIONAL!!!

Hey, Japanese cartoons are pretty cool. Sometimes. Do you like them? Let’s talk about them!

Here’s some basic questions to help get things started, but you can talk about whatever you want.

• What’s your favourite series?
  • What genres of anime do you usually enjoy?
  • What shows are you enjoying from the current season?
  • Is anime real?
1 Like

The answer to all of these is “Cromartie High”

5 Likes

anime is not real

3 Likes

I don’t really keep up with a lot of recent anime but I did make an effort to watch Yuri on Ice after it finished airing and I thought it was amazing.

3 Likes

I have recently fallen down the Jojo Hole again and am trying to catch up (I am in season 1 of Stardust Crusaders, got a ways to go!) and I am once again astounded at how creative the show is!

Correct.

2 Likes

Cromartie?

Jojo?

Hm…

4 Likes

I was wondering when someone would make this thread. In order:

• Revolutionary Girl Utena, the original Mobile Suit Gundam, FLCL, honestly I could go on but I’ll stop there.

• Usually mecha, be it something like UC Gundam that tries to be thoughtful and introspective or goofy shows like G Gundam, where a giant robot horse is piloted by a regular horse. I do have a soft spot for weird Ikuhara-type shows though.

• None of…no wait I’m still watching Iron Blooded Orphans. Honestly, nothing else this season really appealed to me, so I’ve started working through Legends of the Galactic Heroes, and hoo boy, is that an interesting show to watch in These Times.

• MASTER ASIA IS REAL, STRONG, AND MY FRIEND.

Kuvo and the gang played the first episode of Yuri on Ice and I made the effort to watch the rest and it became one of my favorites. Actually, most of the animes that they watch and if I like it enough, I scour the internet for the rest of them. Though…there are some that are questionable [handshakers :expressionless:]

Also, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Wolf’s Rain, etc

This is so perfect and I am so upset I ran out of ‘likes’ for the day cause this would earn all of them

1 Like

I’ve been getting some good usage out of Funimation recently with the Koro Sensei Quest dub, but they’ve also been dubbing Akiba’s Trip and that anime is too good. It manages to make fun of the premise, otaku culture, and anime in general. At the same time though, it celebrates all of those. I really recommend at least checking out the first two or three episodes, just to see if you like it.

Just like, know it’s Real Fuckin’ Dumb beforehand.

My favorite anime would be Baccano! It’s one of those shows I never get bored of. Most of my other favorites are the usual suspects: Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Trigun, etc.

Also, Cromartie High School is amazing. I need to rewatch that show.

1 Like

Would it be kosher to post a video I made about my favorite anime. I already posted one of mine in the youtube thread, and I don’t want to come across like I’m spamming my stuff all over the board. :sweat:

Go ahead! Nothing wrong with promoting your stuff a little, as long as it’s relevant to the topic.

Well, this is it at least. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m proud of it.

I’ll answer my own questions 'cause I’m bored.

• Favourite series: Hard to pick, but I’d say it’s a tie between Love Live! Sunshine!! and Sound! Euphonium. They’re both music shows featuring relatable characters and really well written relationships. They make me laugh, they make me cry, I love them.

• Genres: I’ll watch pretty much anything as long as it’s good, but I’m mainly drawn to music anime, which is probably obvious considering my last answer. I like action-y stuff too, particularly things like Redline and Mob Psycho 100, which present their action in really cool stylish ways. Comedy shows can be fun also, I love shows like Cromartie High and Sabagebu!

• Shows from this season: I try to watch a bit of every show each season in case something surprises me. Nothing has really cemented itself in my watch list yet, except for Little Witch Academia. It’s really charming and fun so far!

• Is anime real? Anime is real.

1 Like

Anime couldn’t be more real, friends.

This season I’m watching Little Witch Academia and Interviews with Monster Girls, though I’ve heard some good things about other series that are making me want to take a peak. I’m pretty terrible about keeping up with shows, though, so I’d hate to put too much on my watchlist.

• Favorite series: FLCL
  • Genres: I watch pretty much anything, depending on the mood.
  • Current season: Errr… what’s going on in the current season, I haven’t kept track? Was Joker Game and Death Parade last season? I liked those.
  • Is anime real: Yes.
1 Like

Everyone fuckin watch little witch academia its so good

I really need to catch up on jojo im still only on part 2…

1 Like

Favorite Series: Original Dirty Pair both TV series and OVAs and the Project EDEN movie (I have the soundtracks to this series on vinyl)
I also am big on Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Tatami Galaxy, Paranoia Agent, FLCL, Tonkatsu DJ, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mitchiko and Hatchin, original Speed Racer. If we’re talking movies, uh… you have a few hours, right?

Genres: I’m always up for trashy 80s-90s cyberpunk. I tend to like shows with a strong artistic direction, which can fit in pretty much any genre. Really as long as it’s not a show where all you’re seeing is the inside of a classroom for 20 minutes and nothing happens, you can probably convince me to watch an episode.

This Season: Little Witch Academia; goofy, vibrant, and incredibly well animated.

Is Anime Real: no