The Anime Thread: It's not just for kids! It's deep! It's EMOTIONAL!!!

I’m part of the “Most anime is trash but god when there’s a diamond in the rough, boy is it shiny” crowd. I love the few animes I like which is why I haven’t given up on the medium as a whole, though.

My favs in no particular order:

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
Sailor Moon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kill La Kill
Does RWBY count lol?
Fate/Zero and UBW
FLCL
Berserk
Anything by Junji Ito

Berserk, Junji, and Madoka(and jojo to an extant) fill my horror needs while having really great stories.

I was always a Sailor Moon kid and never liked DBZ, and SM was my entire childhood. Madoka Magica took a lot of things from that and made a fantastic mature modern take and didn’t skimp on the obvious lesbian implications either. Urobuchi is A+. (Sayaka is still my favorite)

FLCL and RWBY are just fun

I try to avoid fanservice animes but KLK(Gamagoori, Tsumugu) and Fate/(Archer, Rider, Lancers) fulfill my wish for equal opportunity fanservice instead of just the girls being sexualized and I’m all for that.

Though i still have a few ~guilty pleasures~ like Panty and Stocking.

Some good stuff:

• One Punch Man
  • FLCL
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Soul Eater

FLCL is just the right kind of dumb.
MP100 is just full of likable characters.
Soul Eater’s ending was so good.

2 Likes

I’m just a filthy casual that enjoys Dragon Ball Super. Who doesn’t want to watch gods play a casual game of baseball?

I’m making my first post on this forum to talk about how much I like 3gatsu No Lion. It’s like, a lot. I like it a lot. I read ahead in the manga after catching up on the show and everything is good and hard and perfect.

It really handles depression in the manner it should be handled in: unflinching but respectful. There’s no self-harm, there’s no grandiose gestures of unfailing sadness. Just soft-spoken spirals into quiet anguish.

And by the same token it goes out of its way to show that it believes that struggle has a purpose to it. I’m talking in broad strokes because I don’t want to lessen the impact of the show but it’s absolutely what I needed in rough, weird times.

4 Likes

I barely watch anime and TV but I’ve seen some lately. I suggest everyone to wath JoJo and Space Patrol Luluco. I loved those. Oh! And Mob Psycho 100.
I have no idea what anime have aired or are airing at the moment to be honest.

Also I saw this on twitter and have no idea if it is real or not https://twitter.com/DUCKNUTS/status/746384762248507392

It’s not, but it might as well be. Macross 7 is rock powered fighter jets versus space vampires and it kinda rules.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kill La Kill. I love the action, humor and the beautiful animation and the story is actually pretty good, if a bit overly absurd. But the fanservice is sooo baaad I feel kinda dirty watching it?

I got halfway through Kill la Kill before that shit turned me off, so I get what you mean there.

Did you get to the part where everyone had to be naked? Because that happens!

I think so? Basically everything about that series escaped my mind the second I stopped watching.

Yeah, I also found Kill la Kill a little difficult to watch. I’ve read lots of interpretations about how the fanservice is supposed to be satirical or something, but that doesn’t make it any less uncomfortable to look at!

At least the music is rad.

The music is amazing, and it was supposed to be a parody of fanservice, but lost that last part towards the middle. One super cool part is there was never any body shaming as far as I remember, which is something I cannot remember seeing in any other anime.

• Favorite series: Gurren Lagann, FLCL, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun. Other somewhat recent notable series include Jojo, Blood Blockade Battlefront, and Star Driver.
  • Favorite genres: Fantastic action with a sense of humor. Mecha shows where either the robot or the pilot aren’t completely cold and unfeeling; get that blood heated up!
  • Current season: Uh … hmmm. Nothing so far?
  • Anime is so incredibly real.

It is criminal that people are talking about Kill La Kill, which admittedly has its moments and has great animation but the real main character is Mako, but not Nichijou, the best execution of the slice-of-life genre there has been in a long time.

3 Likes

Series: Gurren Lagann, Fist of the North Star, Ghost in the Shell, Usagi Drop

Genre: I usually watch action, but I’ve been trying new things lately.

Favorite thing this season: I don’t keep up with current stuff. I only watch old stuff like how I’m currently watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Sailor Moon.

Is anime real: the only real thing to me is Hatsune Miku.

I like to pretend I’m into anime when… I haven’t actually seen much or read many comics. I really should look into more things but I’m also very lazy.

I mean I love Jojo! But… I’m also really boring in that I fixate almost purely on Stardust Crusaders because that one speaks to me the most, I guess.

Kaiji’s a series very near and dear to my heart and I’m still holding out for a season 3 even though I know that’ll never happen.

Haibane Renmei is a show that struck me hard as a kid and actually helped me then when I was dealing with some deep anxiety and depression around then.

I’m suuuper into the works of Osamu Tezuka. It’s all had some big influence over my stuff. I love the way he’d reuse his own characters as tho they were actors it’s really fun seeing familiar faces. Metropolis was made years after his death but it’s still :ok_hand:

Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita is also excellent. I still need to check out the OVA but I’m just dreading the thought of there being a potential live-action film someday.

Berserk is good but it’s also… Berserk and I have conflicting feelings for it.

I like watching my mom’s old animes that she’d see in French like Captain Harlock (Albator) and Grendizer (Goldorak).

I guess there’s also Sailor Moon… ? I was honestly really into Crystal’s 3rd “season” because I’ve always liked the manga a little more than the 90s series.

Oh yeah and something something Junji Ito.

• Kaiji is definately my favorite anime, and this thread just reminded me I need to rewatch it soon, because there’s not enough crying in my life

• I usually enjoy dumb action shit, and anything to do with giant robots, but then I also get in these moods where I want to watch something really depressing. I’ve watched “welcome to the NHK” more than once, usually in a single sitting

• All I’m watching right now are Dragon Ball Super and Jojo.

• I saw someone claim anime wasn’t real on Monday and I’m still hootin and hollerin about it

1 Like

No joke, Kaiji is the reason I got out of a 6-month slog and decided to get my life back on track.

Daily Lives of High School Boys and I are ready to throw down.

I also like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note (might have to revisit it to be sure), Panty And Stocking, and of the recent anime, Yuri On Ice is great, as is Haikyuu. Haikyuu is super sweet and pure and I’m hoping they get a fourth season because the manga has some really good moments.

Of the long-running anime, I loved waking up every morning before school for DBZ, I overall think Naruto was worth it, so long as you cut out every single filler episode and probably a few on top of that, and I’m finally tackling One Piece in chunks, which I had only ever watched the 4Kids dub of way back when, not realising as a child just how severely they filed it down. Currently up to the end of the Water 7 arc, which I think was stellar from start to finish and wholly made up for how the Sky Island arc practically stopped the entire show dead in its tracks. I also watched the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies and Zeta Gundam both in pretty quick succession, so I’ve been giving myself some air from that series before I go back to Gundam ZZ.

Anime’s pretty real, y’all.

1 Like

Yeah I can understand that turning people off, though the nudity being so prevalent desensitized me to it as it went on and I just kinda stopped paying attention to it. Also that ending scene with everyone catching the falling Ryuko was somehow still really sweet to me.