What are you playing this week?

I’ve driven the F40 a bit since I got a MOMO for the game a while back. It’s a pretty tough car and with 900 degrees it’s probably even scarier.

I beat Breath of the Wild. Incredible game from start to finish. It’s probably my favorite Legend of Zelda game now.

I’ve been replaying Fire Emblem Awakening again, since Fates came out around the time I usually consider replaying Awakening and ate up a lot of time afterwards. I attempted to marry someone else other than Gaius for once. That didn’t happen.

1 Like

Am I still playing Zelda breath? Yes, yes I am.

HOWEVER, Severed is free on PSN+ and is pretty solid IMO. Been playing that on the Vita. Member the Vita?

In the still continuing adventures of El_Sid in Metal Gear land, a lot more extremely spoilery things happened:

I finished chapter 1, broke Sahalanthro-whatever and dismembered Skullface. I go back to the base, and discover that Paz is not only alive for some reason, but sits half naked in my medbay, and obviously has amnesia, because no video game without someone having amnesia, right? Anyway, so I continue some of the side missions until eventually Eli busts out with the Metal Gear that I destroyed and for some reason brought back to my base. Y’know, could’ve just blown it up some more, might have made more sense. Anyway, so now I’m going through some more missions to see where this takes me. Not sure when the next plot thread is gonna start, but since basically nothing is really resolved yet, there’s gotta be more.

I do enjoy playing the main missions on the challenge settings. Makes things a lot more interesting. Although the fight with Quiet is hard as fuck, still not sure how to tackle that one without memorizing all her locations plus the order in which she uses them, for which I’m too lazy.

Pro tips for Quiet:

• Only her first couple of spots are easily predictable. After that, you have to rely on your goggles’ directional mic to listen for her humming

• Use the random cover and the shape of the terrain to your advantage and break line of sight. You’ll want to force her to move to a spot where you can sneak in some shots without getting sniped at.

• You can smoke grenades to lose her or use other throwable items distract her with.

• Momentarily popping your head out of cover with the peek action can get you her position without getting shot

Bonus

If you want to have some fun, you can use just your bionic arm to take her out. The trick is taking advantage of breaking line of sight (as well as your dodge jump, as needed).

Great, thanks, that’ll certainly help :slight_smile:

The difficult part of the extreme fight is that she one hit kills you, so there’s really no room for error. I tried it like a dozen times now and managed to get a few hits on her, but then I made some mistake, like moving into the wrong spot when I didn’t know where she was or poking my head out twice in the same spot. I figured out the microphone thing (I did play MGS3, after all), but I didn’t know I could distract her with smoke and stuff, so that’ll certainly help. I probably also need to try flanking her as best as I can. And I didn’t even think of the bionic arm :smiley: Does the Rocket Arm have that far of a reach? I’ve had it for a couple missions now, but never tried it because my usual tactics worked pretty well so far. I also just developed the Hand of Jehuty, so I don’t even know what that does.

The special arms do have a distance limit - just try them out and you’ll get a feel for their limitations.

I’m playing grandblue fantasy, just got through an event that was a real cringefest. Also just using it to pass time instead of doing productive things.

[spoiler]Ok, so I managed to take her out yesterday. Part of the trick was to not do the fight during the day, and bring D-Dog along. Nighttime gives you a lot more leeway in terms of how well she’s able to spot you. It’s a hell lot easier. And D-Dog occasionally spots her for you, which is nice. I actually got an S rank out it this way.

Then I also did the Skulls fight at the airport on extreme, which also took me a few tries before I managed to beat it. Not sure what the best tactic is there. I just went with explosive guns again, but I actually get the feeling machine guns might be more effective.

Oh yeah, and Mother Base got infected again, so I murdered a lot of my men. That was fun (no it wasn’t).[/spoiler]

Now that I finally finished Nier Automata I can actually continue playing Zelda.

Until Persona comes out.

Luckily i’ve injured my back like a big idiot so I might have time to finish Zelda before Persona.

In the consistently continuing adventures of El_Sid in Metal Gear land, there was an explosion of the most spoilery stuff yet.

You know, this is the first game in which I got two endings in the same gaming session :smiley: I’m still not sure if I’ve reached the end of plot by now, beause there’s still some unanswered questions and unresolved plot threads. However, I did play both the final Quiet mission and the “Truth” version of the Hospital escape, which did give me the traditional black screen conversation that normally marks the “proper” ending. It also dumped like an hour’s worth of tape conversations onto me, all of which I listened to. And ho-ly shit, this ending is even dumber than I expected. A phantom Big Boss? Seriously? The only thing this does is complicate things even further. Who came up with that plan? When did they come up with it? Before Big Boss was in a coma, or after? Why does Zero need Big Boss so bad for his plan he’s going to such lengths to protect him? Why would Miller still back the Phantom after learning he’s been essentially betrayed by Big Boss? Why would Miller go back to Cipher after that, after all they’ve done to him? How does Ocelot know the Entfants Terribles will eventually face Big Boss and each other? Why would he back Liquid and tell Miller to back the other? Why does everyone forget about these ridiculously powerful parasites after Skull Face dies? None of this makes any fucking sense! I love it! :smiley: This really is Kojimas masterpiece in terms of convoluted plot architecture. He’s tying all the loose threads together in the most confusing, nonsensical way possible. I really thought MGS4 had already done that, but this is really a whole other level of plot mess.

I’m still continuing to play, because I do really enjoy the gameplay, and there are sooooo many weapons and gadgets I didn’t really get around to using yet. So I’m probably gonna be messing around with the game for a while longer. My completion percentage is at around 62% now, so I’ve still got some side ops and mission challenges to go through.

[spoiler]This is pretty much all in the cassettes, but context from previous games can be helpful.

1. Zero. To protect Boss while continuing his legacy, he decided to create a proxy out of his “best man we ever had.” Venom would believe he was Boss and go on to create what Boss wanted him to, because Ocelot would be there helping him along the whole way (Ocelot only ever wants what’s best for Boss, after all).

2. Zero enacted the plan after Boss ended up in the coma, and transferred him and the medic to Cyprus in secret. He later would meet with Ocelot and make an agreement about protecting them.

3. Good question! I’m not sure if it’s explicitly stated anywhere, but I remember it being implied that Zero feels that he needs Boss to be alive. It’s been a while since I listened to those tapes, though.

4. I think he essentially says that he’s done with Cipher after he helps Venom with his mission, but I’d have to listen again. I imagine he trusts Venom more than Boss at this point, because V has shown that he’s a heroic person that cares more about other people than himself.

After all, the real Boss basically did to V what the US government did to The Boss back in Snake Eater. She was used to become a villain in the eyes of the world in order to save it, and no one would remember the true story.

1. Basically Ocelot’s a dork for rivalries and Kojima wanted to set up the dynamic between the two brothers.

2. Episode 51. If you haven’t seen the video yet, look it up. Turns out Konami didn’t give them enough time to make the true final mission of the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Ok, so apparently I haven’t reached the end of the plot just yet, because I looked up Episode 51 and found some video on it, which talks about some secret extra mission thing about nuclear disarmament that I haven’t gotten yet (I shut the video off in time to not be spoilered).

Anyway, from what you’re saying, It seems that I sort of understood most of that correctly, but I still feel like the motivations given to the characters in all of these Truth reveals are flimsy at best (Miller), nonsensical at worst (Ocelot), or just completely incomprehensible (Zero). Not that I’m complaining about that; in fact, that was exactly what I wanted. I mean, what would a Metal Gear game be without completely insane plot twists? I’m completely fine with that, but I won’t pretend that I think any of thse motivations make sense.

I do miss the more lighthearted moments of the other Metal Gear games though, there could have been more of that. All the grimdarkiness, what with the lost limbs and torture and murdering your own men and so on, really could’ve used some more emotional counterweight than Miller’s burgers. [/spoiler]

I’m still waiting on my copy of Persona 5 to show up, so in the meantime, I’ve been playing through both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. They’re decent Zelda games, but nothing that special. I did the Linked Game according to the widely accepted canon (that is Seasons->Ages, at least if you go by the manga adaptation), which I’ve never done before.

I like both games, but they each have their own problems that bother me. The bosses in Seasons are maddeningly difficult later on, whereas the Ages bosses are complete pushovers. The puzzles in Ages become obtuse and rely on trial-and-error once you get to the Crown Dungeon, whereas the Seasons puzzles are generally easy to solve save for a few puzzles that purposely obfuscate information. Thinking about it is a weird dichotomy, considering it’s using the same engine and assets (most of which is pulled from Link’s Awakening).

So, yeah. That’s a ride.

I’ve been eyeing Street Fighter V for awhile now. It was finally on sale for a good price, so I bought it. I always love playing Street Fighter games but never took the time to get decent at any of them. Maybe I’ll spend more time with this one.

I agree with the lack of more levity. I would’ve liked more beating up on Eli and other goofy happenings on Mother Base like the birthday cutscene and the “you stink” cutscene.

Since beating Plague of Shadows, I started messing with Nuclear Throne. It makes an interesting counterpoint to Enter the Gungeon, in that both are shooter roguelikes. But Gungeon plays way better with the controller (in my mind) than with a mouse and keyboard, but the opposite is true for Throne.

And both are only slightly more difficult than doing a sudoku puzzle underwater while your high school bully throws shopping carts at you.

1 Like

So this week for me is Persona, Persona, Persona, Persona (and whatever else I need to do for stream/LP work)

I also got the kingdom hearts super mega fuck you collection, but…probably won’t touch that till summer