What are you playing this week?

Danmaku Unlimited 2 has legit one of the best mobile ports of any shmup game ever, and I’m so happy with DU3

Ignore my last post, that was from extreme frustration at the early part of Route C of Automata. The most unfun part of a game IMO ive ever played, besides that bad thing most of Nier is still fantastic.

Though, now, i’m switching between Nier and Binding of Isaac. Afterbirth + is the first Isaac ive ever played but god DAMN is it amazing. Frustrating but quick and fun and weird.

After not being able to get transportation to get a physical copy of NieR Automata, I finally went “screw it” and downloaded it on PS4.

Been enjoying so far, though I’m taking my time by doing sidequests, upgrading weapons and trying out Plug-in chip configurations.

Trying to wrap up every ending and trophy in NieR: Automata before Mass Effect comes out. 25/26 endings done, but the last one I’m missing requires a lot of work: 100% of weapons need to be acquired and fully upgraded so I can fight a level 99 superboss that I think I’m severely underlevelled for right now.. I’m definitely willing to put in that work though because I think Automata might be my favourite game ever made? I haven’t stopped thinking about it since I started it, every single part of it just clicked with me perfectly and I love it so much.

Still playing that breath of the Zelda. Don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Nier chat: I’ve just started Route C and playing as A2 now, what’s the unfun part?

Nier Automata Spoilers: I would assume it’s the partwhere 2B gets infected by the virus and you have to get her to the wooden bridge. That part can really suck because it’s controllable helplessness.

Ah right I liked that but they could have given you your objective marker sooner.

I wandered about a bit too much. Really liked how it fucked with the screen and stuff

Still working my way through MGS 5, still loving it. I had some trouble with the mission where you rescue the child soldiers. Took me ages to figure out how to get through there, I must’ve retried the last part of the mission like 20 times at least. Got an A rank for finishing it eventually for some baffling reason. I’m still not quite sure how the ranking even works. Not that I care much on a first playthrough, I’m just kind of curious about it.

As for the plot, it is still quite a lot grimdarker than all of the other Metal Gears, and I haven’t found as much goofy shit as there is in the others. But who knows, maybe by the end I’ll be firing burning cows from my fart-driven pink cow launcher or something. I refuse to believe they didn’t put any of that stuff in.

Almost all of the real goofy stuff is in gameplay or cassettes. And there’re some good ones. Oh, and a couple bits in cutscenes, too.

Well, I did find one cassette of a soldier with stomach problems, but that wasn’t quite what I had in mind :smile: But I’m quite happy there’s more goofiness coming my way. The goofiness is some of the best stuff in Metal Gear.

There is a series of tapes later that is essentially a true MGS codec moment. I don’t know what exactly you need to do to unlock those, but it does feature a character you can’t have met yet, so there’s something for you to look forward to. You’ll know it when it happens.

Nier: Automata, which is awesome. Overwatch, which has a new character this week. Guild Wars 2, which is fun. And Mass Effect: Andromeda, which is…well I guess we’ll see.

I intended to play through all the generations of Pokémon last year leading up to the release of Sun & Moon. Sort of a thing to remind me what i do and don’t like about each Gen, and to see the progression of the series over time. I got through most of the games, but ended up really procrastinating Gen 6 and ended up just skipping it.

Fast forward to present day, I’m about 6 badges in on replaying Y. My opinion on it is… still very similar to what it was roughly a month or two after initial release. It’s… it’s there. It looks fine. It sounds fine. It plays fine. But it still feels really kinda empty and soulless in a weird way. The characters and story are still a massive dive down from Gen 5 (and 7), and nothing that happens feels like it really has any meaning to it. At least I can still wear horribly mismatching colors and nobody can stop me.

In brighter news Code Name: STEAM still kicks ass and I’m so sad that game wasn’t better received. Fuck Nettlers though.

I’ve been slowly getting through Plague of Shadows, in preparation for Spectre of Torment. I think I’ve finally learned how to control this guy after six hundred million years.

1 Like

I had an extreme amount of trouble during the very beginning all out Android v Machine battle, especially the second time you play 9S.

Also sad there isn’t a Nier thread because I have no place to sing this game’s goddamn praises holy shit. I just got the last 3 main endings and FUCK IM CRYING that credit sequence was so fucking impactful and everything from Devola and Popola appearing onwards had me going “YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH” (Tho I’m still confused about them)

There is a Nier thread: post near puns in this thread; NIER AUTOMATA

It’s a big 'ol wall of spoiler text.

Oh, didn’t see that, thanks!

Just finished Nier and I really need something with a low-investment story and characters. So I’m getting Toukiden 2 today.