What are you playing this week?

I hope you keep playing to unlock the fun items! Also, if you’re interested in the DLC you should definitely get it.

I finally got time to play Nier Automata and HOLY FUCK is it good.

It feels like Taro Yoko wanted to make a huge love letter to the people that got all four endings of Nier.

I’m only three hours in and like 45 minutes of that was enemies screaming for help as I slaughtered them. It’s amazing.

3 Likes

After beating Zelda, I moved on to Automata and, honestly? I’m loving Automata more. There’s just so much better gameplay imo and more fluid combat. Plus, I much prefer story and focus over openended exploration.

Though my biggest gripe is (story/character spoilers)the game calling itself a sequel to Nier. I’ve only just gotten the first real ending though, so maybe something more happens beyond easter egg-esque cameos, but so far it feels too disconnected from the first game to really be a sequel to me :/. Emil’s shop is cool but the lack of talk of how or why hes there(along with the twins) is mega frustrating lol

Beyond that, I have extremely few nitpicks??? only real big one is that the fanservice is disgustingly blatant. I swear that butthole joke a few months back was dumb but if they /had/ modeled it, you’d see it 80% of the game. The running animation shows gratuitous ass. Also there being a goddamn mechanic that blows off the front of your skirt showing the thong esque panties. I had to discover that during a goddamn ending. Moment ruiner. Also only way to prevent it is to buy a decently expensive accessory lol. That should 100% be the other way around.

Finally bit the bullet and got The Witcher 3, along with all the expansion packs and whatnot. Not usually a fan of RPGs but wow, I’m thoroughly impressed. It starts off a lot quicker than 2 (no more bloated exposition dump!), and the world’s just packed with neat little details and side quests, all of which are actually pretty interesting and well written. Definitely having fun just walking around, seeing what I can find.

Also I’ve been told that the game feels a lot more immersive with the minimap off, which is what I’ve been doing. It can be easy to get lost, but the game world’s well made enough to the point where you can get around simply with landmarks, which is pretty awesome.

Coming off a post-PAX trip, I’ve been playing Zelda. Cancelled my Mass Effect Andromeda pre-order a few minutes ago, as I want it, but am not in a hurry to play it compared to BOTW.

Since I got a switch for Zelda, I figured I’d also jump the queue and buy Shovel Knight again for Spectre of Torment.

It’s so good you guys. they could literally have packaged it as a separate game. I wish everyone else could play it now too!

It’s basically a faster paced, somewhat harder shovel knight

Jim Sterling gives Zelda a 7/10 and his site gets a DDoS attack.

I still do not get how people get so upset over a game not getting straight 9’s across the board.

1 Like

They are, in fact, doing that for people that haven’t gotten Shovel Knight by now so people won’t get overloaded by content.

Ironically on his latest Spinoff Doctors podcast he mentions giving Dungeon Siege 3 7/10 and catching hell from series fans who thought that was way too high for “the travesty”.

I tried out the Mass Effect: Andromeda trial. It was really fun. Story was decent too. I hear a lot about bad animations, but I didn’t notice anything while I was playing.

I’ve become more and more wary about Andromeda with each new video I’ve seen. It’s unfortunate, because I love the 2nd game and plenty of things from the other two, so I want this to be good.

Out of all the stuff I’ve seen from ME:A (including the intro/first story mission/etc.) I’ve noticed that (in no particular order):

• Bioware still has no idea how to make hair look decent
  • everyone has lifeless eyes, and also they have weirdly blank expressions a lot of the time
  • all the human squad-mates are incredibly boring (might just be the voice acting, but the dialogue isn’t exactly helping them)
  • the only interesting squad-mates are Drack (a Krogan, so duh - also he’s voiced by a Shakespearean actor, so that’s awesome), Ventra (a lady Turian), and Peebee (surprisingly not as annoying as I expected, though might be because so many others seem to be nothing characters thus far)
  • combat gameplay looks fine, probably the best part of the game
  • the 3rd-person view is oddly distant and gives a strong sense of being disconnected from the threat of the situation (the bit with lightning strikes, for example) until it zooms the fuck in for aiming which, I have to say, threw me for a loop even though I was just watching a video. I’d probably have a hard time dealing with that when playing, at least for a while
  • they’re using a “crazy thing in the sky” plot device in the first mission after they just had a Dragon Age with one of those as the central threat of the entire story
  • Big Bioware Boobs are in full force
  • facial and walking animations appear to be reused from the last ME games despite using a completely different engine (surprising since their first Frostbite engine game DA: Inquisition had much better facial animations than in this)
  • the walking animation in particular is…interesting, because no matter what’s happening your character looks like he’s leisurely strolling about
  • the lighting looks best in sunny, outdoor areas. Most everywhere else has very flat lighting which makes everything looks like the older ME games
  • probably more things I forgot aboutt

I only have one thing to say.

Fuck Nier: Automata

I started on Halo 2 again and actually got past those damn Covenant Hunters for once (the part where they break through the doors). The section after that is super fun.

1 Like

I pray you’re not playing on Legendary, otherwise: I’m praying for you.

After encountering the Flood for the first time, no way in hell I’m doing that on Legendary.

1 Like

Just wait until the last four levels! It’s almost like Halo 2 was even more ambitious than Halo 1, but even more rushed because of development issues with the first engine they tried (not to mention not having a single playable prototype level 16 months before ship)!

I have Opinions about Halo 2 that never really aligned with the diehard fans of it, or the “Halo 2 is worse than Halo 1!!!” crowd.

1 Like

Still struggling with the progress in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns with hectic working life. Wish to get back into Stella Glow to finish the first run at least.

I got Dirt Showdown for free a couple months ago and it along with Dirt Rally have only confirmed my suspicion that the mainline Dirt games were both too dumb and not dumb enough. Dirt Rally showed how great it’d be if they went smarter, Dirt Showdown is the exact opposite, but also great. The main focus is vehicle combat. Instead of some real-world rally driver shouting in your ear every time you crash into them like in Dirt 2, a brodacious announcer spouts some inane phrase about how great it is that you wrecked someone’s day. He has a lot of phrases, some of which call back to one another, gives him a real sense of personality. There’s destruction derbies, marked man challenges, free-for alls, Gymkhana…

Oh right, Showdown is heavily sponsored by Hoonigan, so there’s dumb Gymkhana-inspired challenges where you basically jump through hoops. The game’s extremely simplified handling feel doesn’t really fit it, because it makes pulling tricks off feel mundane. The Hoonigan shit eventually becomes mandatory, so I can’t even recommend ignoring it.

Still, a really good game bogged down by a kinda bad series of games that came before it.

I’m a bit of a fan of bullet hell games. I’m not very good at them but I enjoy them. So Danmaku Unlimited 3 came out this week and I’ve been playing that. Didn’t manage to beat it yet (not even using continues because for some reason it doesn’t give you infinite, opposed to most shmups coming out on steam. Unlike the second game 3 is not a mobile port (by the way, Danmaku Unlimited 2 mobile is actually good) and as a result is made from the ground up to be much more difficult too because it doesn’t have to take a phone screen and touch controls into account, though it does have an easier mode in which destroying an enemy cancels the bullets they fired. Which trivializes a lot of the non-boss encounters. Later stages have more enemies that take a while to kill so the screen still fills up with bullets if you’re not prepared.

Its Soundtrack is pretty sweet too. Better than the second game’s OST, which was also good.

1 Like

If you like the mode where bullets cancel when an enemy is destroyed, Bullet Soul has that as part of its system and it’s coming to Steam soon.