What are you playing this week?

Went onto Youtube and got a big fat Nier Automata spoiler sitting in my recommendations.

I just want one Yoko game where youtube doesn’t ruin it.

I had this happen with Nioh. I hate that garbage.

I’ve now setup adblock plus to just rip out the recommended videos panel. Highly suggest it if you wanna avoid this stuff.

Can you link to a tutorial on how to do that?

Oh sorry should have put it up:
https://youtube.adblockplus.me/

1 Like

I have acquired a Zelda and can now confirmed that BIG GAMES JOURNALISM is not lying and that it’s a good good, not a goofer.

1 Like

In lieu of owning a Wii U, I bought myself Horizon: Zero Dawn over the weekend, and it’s the only game I’ve been playing since. I’m loving almost everything about it: combat, story, environment. It’s a good time, almost to the point where I forgot I’m missing out on Breath of the Wild.

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to that game once I’m finished with breath of the wild.

This week though, this is zelda week.

Nier:automata just arrived which means I have to choose between Zelda and Nier.

I never thought I’d have to make this choice

1 Like

I played System Shock 2 today and got a lot farther into it than I had before. It’s a little too easy for me to get lost, but I did eventually get to the part where you have to get to the engine core.

Also, I turned off weapon degrading because it’s the one aspect of the game I hate. The first game never had it and I don’t understand why they put it into 2, especially since by default it degrades at a very high rate. I’m also not sure how the hybrids are managing to shoot off shotguns that are jammed when I loot their corpses :thinking:

I finally got around to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, beat it, and am now playing through again on the Survivor difficulty. Thankfully, stealth is a viable option for much of the game, so the difficulty hasn’t really affected anything yet.

Without spoiling anything, let me just say that Crystal Dynamics has an issue with its villains that has now gone on for both new Tomb Raider games. It doesn’t ruin the game for me, but it’s interesting.

You mean that you immediately know that they’re the villain even though the game is pretending it’s going to be a reveal later on? I only ask because I’ve just played the first game and that’s all I can remember about the villain.

I did it. I finally finished Star Fox Adventures and… it wasn’t great. Definitely going to LP it in the future because god damn.

I’m picking up Nier: Automata tomorrow after work though, so the rest of my week/weekend is set and I can’t wait~

2 Likes

I’m just gonna spoiler tag all of this (also spoilers for the Tomb Raider reboot), but:

[spoiler]The reveal was definitely something that did NOT surprise me at all. I guessed it as soon as she showed up, but my issue is more to do with the very end.

In Tomb Raider, you deal with Mathias through a QTE cutscene, but he only ever had that staff and just wore his cult robes, so a gunfight with him wouldn’t have made sense. Now in RofTR, Konstantin is an actual gunman, but you fight him by proxy in the helicopter and then have a short stealth fight with him. After defeating Konstantin, it’s nothing but cutscene for the rest of the game and Ana is killed off after the credits. And the reveal that Ana "manipulated Konstantin into looking for the Divine Source makes no sense because she didn’t actually need to manipulate him. They’re siblings, he was going to help her out anyway.

What I mean is that the new Tomb Raider series doesn’t seem to know how to dispatch its villains. Mathias and Ana die in cutscene and Konstantin’s actual fight is so short, that is doesn’t feel quite right.[/spoiler]

Also, holy shit is Rise of the Tomb Raider just a carbon copy of Uncharted 2.

2 Likes

Ratchet and clank in the Vita to see if I can enjoy fun childish platformers :slight_smile:

…oddly enough? I’m playing Tails Adventure after a long time from when I saw and tried it out on the Gamecube’s Sonic Gems Collection, straight from the 3DS eShop. It’s pretty cool and unlike a lot of Sonic games, pretty slow paced and a metroidvania (for the Game Gear too).
I’m digging it so far, a lot of it feels very good (throwing bombs at an arc feels very satisfying), birds are invading Tails island for some reason i still have no clue because i’m still playing, and it’s a nice, smaller change from the big metroidvanias i played for a bit.
the biggest flaw so far is that you can only carry four items at a time though. that usually means backtracking to your house to get the items you need to solve a puzzle (which isn’t that big a hassle). i’m not entirely sure why that’s a thing, it’s pretty superfluous. plus a few game gear glitches are still here, so your HUD can be covered by foreground objects and the like
other than that? still playing through, the music’s catchy too

Counting the days until the EU release of Nier. Can’t wait to spend the weekend with it.

Picked up Horizon as I adore post-post-post Apoclyptic settings, where nature has retaken the world. The combat is pretty great (Although no lockon is weird) and the writing is very enjoyable so far.

Waiting for Nier on the 17th, though. But until then, Robot Dinosaur Hunting.

I am waiting until Nier is out so my mind can be torn asunder from having to decide between playing Zelda and Nier every time I wanna play something.

I spent some money on gaming for once and got myself MGS 5. It’s a game I’ve very long been curious about, and I got it for a decent price, so why not. I’m a huge MGS fan, so of course I had to get it eventually.

I’m three missions in, and so far I’m just loving it. Sure, all the grimdark stuff is super dumb, but that’s what I like about it. I like the crazy MGS plots, they’re great. I don’t want anything realistic, that’s not why I play games. I play games to have fun, and I get a lot of mileage out of the crazy shit that happens in MGS. It’s somehow awesome and hilariously stupid at the same time, I love that about it. Some people say the game gets repetetive after a while, but from what I can tell so far, there’s a lot of ways to mix up the gameplay by yourself, so I guess I’ll keep myself entertained by trying new things. That’s part of what MGS is about, I feel.