What are you playing this week?

Lately, I’ve just been trying to get through a massive backlog of games that I’ve gotten via humble bundles and various other purchases that I’ve either not touched or played a little before getting distracted by the next new shiny.

Latest game I’ve played was Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. It’s a really fun metroidvania (I can’t get enough of them), and I really like the Dark Souls influences it has. I’m kinda tempted to do a second playthrough before I continue with my list of games.

So aside from the round of daily logins to MMOs I might get back to, my playtime this week has been devoted to three games.

1. Warframe, the game about being space ninjas with ridiculous weapons who deliberately prolong a solar-system-wide war by murdering both sides into a constant stalemate. While looking fancy as hell, I might add. Barrier to entry is kinda high unless you join a good clan who can help you and give you the essentials.

2. Armello, “Like Game of Thrones, but with animals” as Kotaku said. It’s a fun multiplayer strategy boardgame thing. Backstab and quite possibly literally stab your friends as you race for the throne of a corrupt, mad and dying king.

3. Toontown Rewritten, the Disney MMO risen from its grave by people who cobbled the original back together from publicly available assets, then made it better. Still grindy like you would not believe, but a multiplayer turn-based RPG is a rare thing.

Surprisingly no, I was pretty balanced with the vr mode in it!

I’m gonna be playing Digimon World: Next Order and Resident Evil 7 for the foreseeable future.

I’ve been streaming my playthrough of RE because I am a weenie who can’t do horror on their own. And thankfully I got friends willing to sit in with me and help me when I’m bad at puzzles. Plus, RE7 is a very VERY good game. only other RE I’ve really played was RE5 and I just couldn’t get into it as much as I tried. But 7 is the first horror game since Call of Cthulhu that I’ve actually kinda enjoyed playing.

Oh, I’ll also probably be playing Yakuza 4 soon, since I’ve had that game for a while and haven’t gotten very far in it ever, despite enjoying it a lot.

I’ve been playing a lot of XCom’s Long War mod lately. It’s just got something to it that even when it’s kicking my teeth in it still feels like a mostly fair game. Trying to wrap it up before diving into Long War 2, which looks really good from everything I’ve seen so far.

If you haven’t seen either and you like strategy games, or you have issues with vanilla XCom: Enemy Unknown/Within and vanilla XCom 2 you should take a look at the Long War mods.

2 Likes

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, in preparation for Persona 5. It kind of feels like this game was practice for Persona 5, kind of like how Persona Q felt. But TMS stands well on its own, and I highly recommend it for any SMT fan. I’m not a Fire Emblem fan (only ever played a bit of Awakening), but so far it seems that it’s just has references to Fire Emblem stuff, so you don’t need to be a fan of FE to enjoy it. Everything else (other than the story, which is its own thing) is very SMT, but I wouldn’t say you need to know SMT to enjoy it either.

And hey, there’s an LP of it here in this forum!

if on a DS Zelda kick I highly recommend Link Between Worlds! I’m still reeling with how impressed I was by it and I played it like three years ago? its gameplay is just so smoooooothhhhhh. and the puzzles use the mechanic so well and I had so much fun with the puzzles!

I’m finally getting around to finishing AssCreed III Liberation, which lost me a while back by introducing a lot of mechanics I thought would be interesting and then basically giving me very specific places to use them as opposed to trusting me with my own creativity. but I’m in love with Aveline enough to keep playing so that I can at least finish the story. other than that my default game is L4D2, and I keep trying not to be the worst ever at Overwatch but I think it’s unavoidable.

I’ve been meaning to get back into TMS, That game feels like the proper sequel to Persona 4 while 5 looks to be a bit more old school SMT game (I am hype as all hell for P5). I still have a hard time believing that with all the wait for “Fire Emblem x SMT” that THIS was the game that came outta it

1 Like

Oh hell yes, I didn’t know Odin Sphere Leifthrasir had a New Game+ that scaled things up to a higher level! That’s exactly what I was hoping for–I wanted to have more time to play with the super high-level skills you get towards the end of each character’s story and now I get exactly that.

all I needed to know about Odin Sphere Leifthrasir was that I was able to juggle A LOT as Gwen right off the bat and that made me so happy. I was thrilled that they just took what they learned from Muramasa and Dragon’s Crown and were just like “fuck it, throw it in our old game too”

1 Like

I actually played Link Between Worlds a few years ago and I was blown away by how good it is. Just everything about the game was amazing, especially how well they utilize the wall merge ability. I’ve kinda wanted to try doing a Hero mode run of the game since I first beat it. Maybe after Phantom Hourglass I’ll give it a try.

On a different note, tonight at Walmart I was browsing the cheap game bin and found a single copy of Pikmin 2 for $20. I think I know what I’ll be playing on my day off tomorrow!

I got to the first town so I could drop a save on Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, then got wrapped up in other projects, but it’ll have its claws in me for probably all of February. I completed the post-game in the PS2 version, and got to the midpoint with a separate Fisticuffs Only run years ago. It’s my favorite DQ from the main series, so this (technically third) playthrough is gonna rule.

I honestly don’t know what I’m going to be playing this week, I keep trying to work on my writing so I try not to game too much, but of the things I’ve been playing it’ll probably be some combination of Guild Wars 2, Warframe, Titanfall 2, and Overwatch.

This week ive played about 3 games lol

I played and finished Resident Evil 7 best RE game in years and have been going on and off with Tales of Berseria and HITMAN since I waited for the disc version.

Been playing some Paradox games lately, namely CKII and EUIV.

And by “playing” generally I mean “modding” because I’m a goddamn idiot who loves to bash their head against code for hours.

I just finished playing SMT Strange Journey and then loaded an old save of Persona 1 only to find out I was in the last dungeon so I beat that as well. Starting a new game of Persona 2 IS now. Extremely hyped for P5.

I had never played a Doom game I liked, but I was looking for a shooter because of reasons, and like a weirdo I trusted Polygon’s goatie list and bought Doom 2016 on sale. And holy fuck, what a good shooter. So cathartic, so full of good shooting, and I got really invested in the logs and lore. I beat that this weekend and I’m considering going back to grab missed collectibles. Don’t have a lot of spare time this week, though.

The lack of spare time as I grow older makes me sad.

1 Like

I’m not going to lie, I’m totally overwhelmed by my backlog. The family bought a few games for Christmas (DOOM, Deus Ex, Titanfall 2, I already had Battlefield…), but I’m hiding and just playing DOTA like always. ;_;

Link Between Worlds is really good. I haven’t enjoyed Zelda dungeons that much in a long time. A change as simple as just giving you the dungeon items outside of the dungeons let them be a lot more creative with dungeon layouts and how you progress through each one, and I really liked that.

I also love how well they introduce you to each dungeon’s central puzzle mechanics in the first room or two. Take the Dark Palace, for example. In the very first room, there’s a gap you need to cross, right away. There’s a platform that you’ve seen before and you know that kind of platform usually moves back and forth on its own–this one, though, is stationary. But there’s also a switch on the left side of the room. So you hit the switch and it immediately moves the platform across the gap, then turns off after a short period of time and moves it back. The switch is blocked by a low wall that you can’t shoot over.

So how do you hit the switch while also getting on the platform in time? Bombs! You lay a bomb next to the switch, walk to the platform and stand on it before the bomb explodes, and the platform ushers you across. Nice! But now there’s a locked door with two weird eye-shaped things to its left and right. The one on the left is open and has light shining on it from a window above it. The other is closed, but there’s a window above it that’s boarded up. Well, you just used a bomb, so you throw a bomb up to the window and blow up the boards, light shines on the eye switch, it opens, and the door opens.

Guess what? You’ve just been introduced to the dungeon’s entire rule set. You’re going to have to shine light from the top of the dungeon down on to six eye switches at the bottom to open the way to the boss by blowing up weak floor tiles and boarded-up windows. Along the way, you’ll need to use bombs to activate timed switches that you can’t hit while standing next to the thing you need the switch to open/activate/etc.

That’s clever as hell and I hope Breath of the Wild’s dungeon design trusts the player that much.

2 Likes

of all of those, I can give the highest praise to Titanfall 2, its story mode is actually pretty dang stellar and I’m a huge fan of it’s multiplayer mode