Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

We’re moving from one dungeon right into another. The Shadow Temple is another one that I really enjoyed as a kid. Despite having a lot of invisible things It doesn’t feel as punishing as trying to get everything in the well. It’s a rather straight forward place as long as you check all the side rooms as you go.

2 Likes

We’re still stuck in the Shadow Temple. But hey, at least we’re almost done it. I mean, unless something really bad happens we should be finished it in about… oh… oh no. Welp.

3 Likes

That particular scarecrow spot is deceptive because at the point where Navi moves to the spot, you’re too far away. I think you have to be on the ground to be close enough to activate it.

1 Like

Okay, did you actually play the song for Bonooru by the lakeside as an adult? You do have to both create the song as a child and recite it as an adult to get Pierre to show up, and I don’t quite recall you doing that.

Also the Shadow Temple is functionally pretty boring. Aesthetically interesting, but by virtue of having lots of bottomless pits, there’s barely anything else to do except for follow the critical path. It’s so short because it’s basically one long line that twists and turns a little and very occasionally hits a dead end, needing to turn back for a moment. Unlike the rest of the dungeons there’s no central hub room to speak of, just a shortcut to the River Styx, so aside from the very end of the dungeon there’s really not a lot visually that is very memorable or identifiable, and basically all of the puzzles are Fake Wall or Invisible Something, plus hover boots. But then, there’s not a whole lot you can do with those two items in a dungeon setting. Which would be why Majora’s Mask made the eye of truth acquirable much earlier, outside a dungeon, and scrapped the boots altogether.

1 Like

So yeah. I totally thought we had, but will be realizing in video pretty soon that I didn’t. That said, Calli just 100% Ocarina of Time on the 3DS and he’s really hard to get to show up in places even if you did.

I think the aesthetic of the Shadow Temple is what makes me like it so much. It’s such a different feel from the whole rest of the game. The straight forward aspect also made it easy for me to do when I was a kid, so it was one of the first dungeons I was able to complete without any help.

1 Like

And here we have the second to last item to collect. I really like the Gerudo Training Grounds because it does make you use basically everything you’ve collected this far. Also.I do realize my mistake in the underwater section. That does not mean it wasn’t some straight up horse hockey though.

1 Like

…I can’t believe I didn’t know about the key up through the fake ceiling. I didn’t know about the fake ceiling at all. I seriously believed that if you wasted one of the keys, you were screwed out of the ice arrows.

1 Like

The spot at the entrance that Navi was interested in gives you a fairy if you play the Song of Storms, if I remember rightly.

1 Like

There’s going to be a bit of a delay on the Zelda episode this week. For anyone not in our Discord Server, some family things just happened to us so I didn’t get a chance to upload yet. I’ll try to have the video out for tomorrow.

Mel has technically been wanting to do this for so long. But we never really got around to it. Now the time has come. Fish. Fiish. Fiiish. Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2 Likes

You know, it’s the damnedest thing. I remember fishing being really easy in this game when I was a kid, but when I do it now, I always have trouble. Either the line snaps or the fish gets away.

I wonder why that is…

1 Like

I’m amazed at how many people think it’s better to stand in the water to fish. If you’re standing out of the pond, or at least in the really shallow water, all you have to do is swing the fish around to the side and out of the water for an instant catch.

1 Like

I have never encountered a fishing game/minigame that I have actually enjoyed. The best ones, IMO, keep it simple, like Harvest Moon/Rune Factory, where fishing was literally just “press button, get fish”. Any other fishing minigame is terrible, and I hated having to catch fish twice in Twilight Princess for Wii using the goddamn motion controls. Literally almost made me quit the game, which would have been a shame because the rest of it is good.

Some of the worst fishing minigames:

• The aforementioned Wii version of Twilight Princess and its motion controls (HD was much better and I caught a fish almost instantly).
  • Breath of Fire III, where you had to bob the lure in a rhythm minigame in order to attract the fish. That’s right, a minigame within a minigame. Awful. And fishing was actually required to get some of the game’s best equipment! Awesome!

I do love how the lure ignores the counter the guy is standing behind when you try to get his hat and miss, like you mentioned. It just clips right through, because animating it going up and over the counter is just too much work. Also, how he just stands there and lets you obviously cast for his hat like a million times. I’m picturing Link asking him “Hey, can you just lean a bit more to the left?”

1 Like

I’ve never really been against fishing mini games in games. Though a bad fishing game is just unfun. I wouldn’t say this is bad fishing. But it isn’t great. And as you saw it can be really frustrating.

You know, you can stop the lure by pulling back during the cast. Also holding R reels the line in faster, I don’t think you were doing that, unless you just forgot to mention it to Mel and Calli.

1 Like

I’m very disappointed that I am not receiving more praise for catching that fucker.

1 Like

Calli you did an amazing job catching the fish officially titled “That Fucker”.

1 Like

lol thank you my dearest friend. Finally the recognition I deserve!

1 Like

We head back to the Spirit Temple because aside from that quiver that’s the only thing there is left to do! Crazy isn’t it? Yep. We will avenge Nabooru, and then it’s time to face Gandondorf himself. But not before we kill a couple of old witch’s.

4 Likes

Our journey is slowly coming to an end. We are storming Ganondorf’s castle and everything is going great. Just great. Nothing at all can go wrong at this point. And to prove that here is a video of me doing everything perfectly with no issues whatsoever.

3 Likes