Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

What a prime example of everything going exactly as planned. I mean I don’t think Super Sonic Racing played for nearly long enough, but nothing’s perfect I guess.

Link never appeared in Tekken, but he was a guest character in the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2 (IIRC). The PS2 version had Heihachi, and the XBox version had Spawn.

And in the newest Smash, they separated out Sheik and Zelda. Samus and Zero Suit Samus are also two independent movesets now.

Yes, I am just watching the previous posted video now.

Link to the Past didn’t allow you to jump on command, but the Roc’s Feather was an item that appeared in Link’s Awakening, both Oracle games, and Minish Cap, and it allowed you to jump. But Zelda 2 and Breath of the Wild are the only two mainline Zelda games with a dedicated jump button.

And really, what is a recording, if not a stream from the past?

I find it amusing that when you go face the Like-Like again, you put on the shield that it can take from you. The Mirror Shield is unique; it’s immune to being stolen.

You can’t jump while wearing the Iron Boots, so if you want to just fall, equip them.

And now we are finally to the end of our journey. All we have to do is defeat Ganondorf. ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS DEFEAT GANONDORF, MICHAEL. WHY IS THE VIDEO SO LONG?! Anyway, passive aggressiveness against my past self aside. This was a fun and interesting journey. It was certainly a learning experience but I wouldn’t change anything. Except for the inability to get the final quiver. That would have been nice. But anyway, without further ado, here is the final video.

I will be keeping this place open for one more week before closing it. Please tell me all of your final thoughts.

It appears there was a snag when OBS exported the video so theres about 20 seconds where everything pauses and there isnt anything O can really do about it. It does kick back up though and nothing desyncs.

3 Likes

Hey, that Ocarina of Time game? Pretty solid. I really enjoy it, though I don’t think I’d want to do a 3 heart run myself. And I wouldn’t sweat all the things going horribly wrong. It seems like that’s part of the territory of a challenge run, unless you’re extremely practiced. It was a fun LP.

Even if numerous fairies perished in your wake.

1 Like

You can shoot Ganondorf with a light arrow while he’s charging his big energy attack. Also spin attacking deflects the big energy attack pretty consistently. Speaking of light arrows, I could have sworn Ganon was meant to block them more in the second phase. Also one of those destructible blocks contains faeries, if I recall correctly.

Fun fact: the tower collapse lags the game in almost every single version. Even releases on better hardware, like the Ocarina of Time discs on Gamecube or the Virtual Console release, which have better performance in other areas, just can’t handle it. The sound design is even based off this expectation, because the one version that has zero lag in it — the Chinese iQue version — actually finishes the cutscene before the three thuds of the tower collapsing can play out.

Also a fun fact: The deku stick deals as much damage to Ganon as the Master Sword. By default, it is as powerful as the Master Sword, because it breaks in one hit. And Ganon has a specific table of every weapon in the game that determines how much damage it will deal to him. All weapons except the Master Sword are meant to deal one (1) damage, but deku sticks were never changed. And there’s also a small oversight where the damage of the crouching stab Link can do has no damage value of its own and instead uses the damage value of the last attack.

So if you were somehow able to glitch yourself to the end of the game with a version of Link that can actually use deku sticks, you could end the first phase in approximately 10 seconds by doing a jump attack with the deku stick and then crouch stabbing Ganon in the tail.

More fun facts: in the original 1.00 version of the game, saving and quitting after Ganon knocks your sword out of your hand resets you to the beginning of the inner tower with no sword, which is the starting point for a lot of glitches. In later versions they fixed that, but you can still get outside the tower without your sword with some special glitches.

Ocarina of Time is pretty good for a first outing into 3D Zeldy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the LP!

Don’t feel bad about the save states, heroes of time can totally time travel. Also, older games like this can be rather obnoxious about checkpoints.

I’m looking forward to your next LPs.

1 Like

In the original Legend of Zelda, it was actually Rings that reduced incoming damage, although they changed the color palette of Link’s tunic and hat when you got them. Link to the Past was the one where the Blue and Red Tunics were armor.

I love how the song Zelda uses to send Link home at the end is Zelda’s Lullaby, not the Song of Time.

All in all, I think OoT is a good Zelda game, and a strong showing for a first leap into 3D. Some things, especially the controls, have not aged well, and I don’t like how half of your tools are locked away at any point in time, only to be replaced with tools that have a very similar function. Also, the N64 had a just plain terribly-designed controller which forced software developers to design control schemes that don’t transfer well to better control designs, which was the cause of a number of your control issues after switching from your physical copy, from what I could tell. But I feel it’s a solid 3D Zelda, and living proof that the series could survive the jump. It’s not my favorite Zelda (I personally like MM, LTTP, and even TP more), but it’s pretty good.

1 Like

Thanks for all these comments everyone. I’m really happy with how this all turned out, and that you all enjoyed it!

1 Like

Thank you everyone again for joining us on this journey. It was a long journey, but incredibly rewarding. That said it’s time to close this chapter. We can close this thread and put it under “completed let’s plays” @moderators please and thank you.