Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

Fun fact about Volvagia: in Hyrule Warriors, he becomes this guy.

If the “all dungeons as opposite version of Link” LP you’re talking about is Doctor Kill’s “Super Wrong” LP, IIRC the Spirit Temple and Under the Well were the only two exceptions, because they both require crawlspaces Adult Link can’t bypass. And Under the Well, while technically optional and thus useless to a speedrunner like DK, is used to set up glitches he uses for the rest of the run, as well as glitching some items into his inventory.

2 Likes

That is infact thr one I was thinking of. Amd I forgot about the crawl space problem. Though, Im surprised there isnt a way to get past crawl spaces.

1 Like

In which Link breaks his spine from falling twice and survives.

2 Likes

It’s fine. He landed on a bridge held up by ropes.

1 Like

Actually, now that I think of it, IIRC Doctor Kill started the Spirit Temple off like normal on each side, then bomb-hovered to switch sides at the room with the giant statue. It’s the only place in the dungeon where the two routes connect.

Under the Well is 100% not doable as Adult Link, IIRC, because the crawlspace is the entrance to the dungeon and it’s pretty much the only thing at the bottom of Kakariko’s well.

1 Like

I’m just surprised that there isn’t a way to bypass those crawl spaces.

He did have to collect the second dungeon item as Adult Link and finish the temple as Adult Link, though, since the game will neither spawn the item or let you damage the boss otherwise.

They’re too small, Link ain’t a miracle worker.

1 Like

I mean I’m surprised there isn’t a way to glitch around or over the wall geometry to bypass them as an adult.

1 Like

They’re Too Small, Link Ain’t A Miracle Worker

You ever try to squeeze into a pair of jeans seven sizes too small?

1 Like

I have not. I’ve only ever had one pair of jeans.

1 Like

We finish off the Fire Temple today, and while we were off in the mountains Kakariko ended up in a bit of a bad spot. I guess you win some and lose some. I really enjoy the Fire Temple, even though I messed up some spots it never feels obnoxious and the bosses are actually pretty fun.

2 Likes

I must ask why you apparently refuse to use the Hookshot against Keese? In my experience, it’s the most reliable way to kill them. Wait until they’re on approach to you, target, and then pick them off.

When you went into melee with that Like-Like with your Hylian Shield and Goron Tunic equipped, I was prepared for the worst. I had apparently either forgotten or never knew that the Biggoron Sword one-shots them. I prefer to fight those things with the Bow or Bombs.

A lot of Eastern-style dragons only have arms. I’d say the fire “antennae” are more of a deviation from form on Volvagia, but they’re replacing the horns/antlers that frequently appear on Eastern dragons.

What with him using “brother” all the time, I always picture Darunia’s voice as sounding like Hulk Hogan’s.

I think the Nocturne of Shadow is my personal favorite of the Ocarina songs. Nothing in this game holds a candle to the Gerudo Valley daytime music, though. Best music in the game, by a country mile.

1 Like

Every time I try to use the hookshot I seem to miss. So while I just can’t hit Keese in this playthrough, at least it is consistent.
I think we saw the one shot on the Like-Like in the water temple. If I miss my swing though and get caught it could be bad, but so far I’ve been good on handling them.
For some reason I always picture Eastern style dragons with four limbs. But I haven’t brushed up on my Eastern lore in a while.
I’ve never imagine Darunia with Hulk Hogan’s voice. Now I need to go back through all his dialogue and experience this.
Gerudo Music 100% the best.

1 Like

You did seem to have some luck on that last Keese in the video by retreating a bit to bring it in line with your sword, at least. Maybe try that more often.

The number of limbs Eastern dragons are depicted with varies. I’ve seen both two- and four-limbed dragons with about equal frequency.

1 Like

I also truly believe there is a bit to this playing bad that has to do with recording. Not entirely mind you. But I’m commentating while trying to show off the game in an interesting way to Mel. Not a lot of thinking happens, ie. Forest Temple.

1 Like

That is something I’ve heard before, and I’d believe it. Splitting your concentration like that certainly can be taxing; I know I’m not very good at multitasking.

1 Like

The second flare dancer is supposed to be fought with the megaton hammer; you smash the ground and it immediately dispels the body.

This might be my favourite dungeon in the game. One of the best, at least. The entire thing flows in a way that most of the others don’t. The Forest and Water Temples have you getting lost looking for one more key, Shadow Temple is all sorts of obnoxious, and the Child Link dungeons are incredibly simple.

After immediately introducing its central hook and making clear where your destination is and what’s stopping you from getting there, the Fire Temple intelligently leads you slowly up to the top of the tower. You free Goron friends, learn more about the dungeon and the tricks it’s likely to pull ahead of time, and when you get the hammer you immediately get a shortcut back to the bottom floor where the door to the boss is now accessible, barring one more quick trip through the foyer.

You know where your goal is and while you don’t know where you’re going to get to it, you can feel concrete steps along the way to make an impact in the world, even if it’s just superficial. The dungeon item gets used just enough for you to feel its power, both in general, against the environment, and against the enemies; even the mini-boss, who you fight a second time specifically to showcase the strength of this awesome new weapon.

And then when you beat the temple the single most drastic visual difference between the two time periods, and the very first one you notice after becoming an adult, is gone. Goron City immediately gets repopulated, and the random explosions on the run up to Biggoron stop completely, which makes getting the sword a little easier if you haven’t picked it up yet.

I don’t know that what Child Link did in the well would have necessarily made much of an impact, unless it was Hylian holy water flooding that place, but it’s definitely a curious part of the adventure, assuming you haven’t already gone down the well the second Sheik moved out of the way and let you go back in time.

“This thing came out of the well. What if I can go back in time to stop it before it busts out? Oh, I guess I can’t…and also the well is where Kakariko just dumped a lot of bad stuff over the generations.”

It’s a side of Kakariko that kind of just got dropped in all future entries in favour of the more blatant Native American theme that’s become a core aspect of the Sheikah. But in Ocarina of Time it’s a really interesting parallel. Kakariko Village spends most of its time being a warm, inviting place, full of life, safe from harm. But it’s ultimately kind of a village of the dead. Dead that couldn’t stop living, I guess. The warp point even goes to the graveyard. It’s somewhat ironic that Castle Town got overrun with ReDeads and that the survivors all fled to Kakariko to be safe.

That reminds me: did you ever go fight the Composer Brothers? I seem to recall you just going straight into the Royal Family Tomb and I don’t remember if you fought them on your way out or not. I always thought fighting them was required to open the tomb.

1 Like

I don’t think most people know they exist in this game. I sure didn’t, until I saw them in a recent LP. Can’t remember whether it was this one or not, but I don’t think it was.

1 Like

We did not actually. It would make sense if you had to take at least one of them on before entering the tomb to get the Sun’s song.

Also, I’ve never thought to use the hammer on the fire dancer. I’ve always just been fine grabbing it out with the hookshot, and since we have the long shot it’s even easier to do. Though I imagine hitting it with the hammer instead of the Goron Sword might make it go better.

I think one of the Gorons specifically say that the hammer works on them, as well as a couple of other items.

1 Like