Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

If this helped me the world be so much better. But I know when it comes down to it Ill probably mess up again.

1 Like

It’s not your fault. It’s the English language that’s at fault. Remember that there’s also “desert” that sounds like “dessert” and can mean either “abandon” or “that which is deserved”. So you can’t even tell how to spell it from the way it sounds. I firmly believe that the English language was constructed to prevent as many people as possible from learning it.

1 Like

That’s what happens when you’re a Germanic language with words and concepts heavily influenced by Latin, French, and Spanish, and your people keep picking up words from other languages whenever it suits them.

I once heard English described as the linguistic equivalent of a thug in an alleyway. It went something like “English is the language that follows other languages into an alleyway, clubs them over the back of the head, and rifles through their lexicons.”

1 Like

Having spoken this language my entire life, I have to say it is the worst language there is. If I didn’t grow up with it, I’d never want to learn it. Also, shout out to the fire arrows being the most interesting way to get arrows in the game.

1 Like

A bit of a shorter video today as we finish up some of our collection of items. We’re getting down to the wire. We actually only have 2 recording sessions left to do so we’re getting on the tail end to this game. That is of course as long as nothing extremely bad happens in the next little bit… But anyway. Item upgrades and showing off how to cheat a man out of money as a 10 year old.

3 Likes

I thought I’d heard once that there’s secretly a pattern to the treasure chest minigame, but I might have been thinking of a TAS or something.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s probably a “pattern” related to RNG seeds, if you go from a cold boot directly to the treasure chest minigame. It’s the same as how mashing buttons in Pokemon does actually affect whether the capture works or not, but it’s not abuseable in most situations.

1 Like

There’s also just no reason to try and memorize for the heart piece if you just wait until you have the eye of truth. I suppose if you didn’t know you could do that then it would be good to memorize.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that in a speedrun, there’s no reason to waste time getting the Lens of Truth, unless you’re going for 100% completion. Unlike Majora’s Mask, it’s unnecessary for any% completion of OoT.

Granted, why you’d get that heart piece if you weren’t going for 100% is beyond me, but who knows. Maybe you’d deliberately fail to grind Rupees for say the Stick upgrades instead? Although I’m sure there’s gotta be a faster way to grind Rupees; even bug-farming is probably preferable.

1 Like

It really is a heart piece you would only need if you’re trying to get them all. There are so many easy heart pieces to get that aren’t out of the way. And you can probably beat the game rather easily with just the heart containers from the boses.

1 Like

I think most if not all any% speedruns tend to be 3-heart runs anyways, because picking up heart pieces/containers involves a cutscene, and if you’re skilled enough to even consider speedrunning the game you’re good enough to do a 3-heart run.

The only reason I can think of to do the heart piece there before picking up the Lens of Truth is if you’re going for 100% and want to get all the crap from Castle Town out of the way right when you first arrive, instead of having to go back later.

1 Like

Alright. Time to get to the meat of being a kid again. The Temple. I really like what the Spirit Temple has going on. Which might not be reflected by my initial start to the dungeon. But I really do. The aesthetic is nice, and the puzzles make it feel like classic Mummy/Egyptian movies where the Pyramids are a bunch of puzzle traps of death. It’s really good. Except for that Stalfos. That’s rough as a kid with three hearts.

3 Likes

Here is the little bit I I cut out from the main episode where my parents called during recording. I think my family is really cute and would love to actually have my mom in a video with us one day. All she wanted to talk about was some mail not getting delivered, but she also says some funny things along the way,

1 Like

And so Link continues his quest for every item… and hits a bit of a snag. We’re going to do archery today and we all know how good I am at aiming the bow.

3 Likes

Good lord. If it’s any consolation, I’m 99% sure that the improved quality of the Wii U’s control stick compared to the N64’s makes it so much harder to aim.

1 Like

I am fairly certain that this is the case. As is evident in this bonus episode.

1 Like

Epona is an eldritch hellbeast.

Also, I feel your pain. I think I gave up on the second quiver upgrade when I played on 3DS, and I had access to the infinitely superior gyroscope aiming on that version. I can’t imagine doing it with an analog stick.

1 Like

At the risk of repeating myself, I still swear it was a lot easier on the N64 than it is on the Wii U (or Gamecube or Wii, for that matter) because the aiming is way too sensitive in the re-releases.

Now part of me wants to do a comparison of this minigame between the N64 version, the Virtual Console version, and the 3DS version, but I don’t feel like digging out my N64 or properly setting up my Wii U for it.

1 Like

If I had a way to record my 3DS I probably could do that. I know I have a save on each version where I could go to the Archery Range. Of course, if I had been able to continue on the N64 a lot of the problems we have we would not have.

Alternatively, this and getting the Big Poes may have been even worse.

1 Like

So it’s finally time we start the second/first dungeon depending on what order you normally do your dungeons in. Really, it’s amazing not only how much you can put this off, but how unnecessary the dungeon item is. But anyway, things get really hot in this episode as we enter the Volcano. Thankfully, we won’t have to fight the boss since Darunia is going to handle that for us.

2 Likes