Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

I have something I’d like to share if for no other reason than I spend a long time animating our sprite movements for this.

I’m not posting this here for the big Patreon reason, though it’d be cool if people did donate. The main thing is it talks about and links to our new Discord which is another place to talk more about Zelda and such. Because we all need to talk more about that!

1 Like

And so it’s time to start everyone’s favourite temple of the game. Where I’m sure nothing will possible ever go wrong in any way shape or form. Keys won’t be missed, we won’t get lost, we won’t die. Nothing at all. It is the water temple so it’s going to be a long trek everyone. So get your boots on.

3 Likes

Yep, I saw that ending coming a long way away. You remembered the key everybody hates, but forgot the OTHER key everybody hates. Also, the map, while you were so determined to get the other key everybody hates. The Water Temple did some neat stuff with its gimmick, but most players still weren’t used to the 3D environment and relied on Mario 64-style hints to do things like look under rising platforms. Nowadays, they could probably put this exact temple in a modern Zelda game (had they not used it here) and nobody would think twice about the complexity of it.

Order-wise, you can complete the Water Temple without ever setting foot in the Fire Temple, and you can complete the Fire Temple without going anywhere near the Forest Temple, but you do require the bow for one specific Water Temple puzzle. So you can get the bow, then beat the Water Temple, then beat the Fire Temple, and finally finish off with the Forest Temple. That’s how I usually do it, just for fun.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can exit the item menu without bringing up the save prompt since I don’t see it appear unless it’s necessary in TASes. Try pressing B instead of Start, or something like that.

Of course, I only bring this up probably after you finished the water temple…

1 Like

OoT3D definitely makes this temple better by making the Iron Boots an item, like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess did, rather than equipment. Although the Zora Tunic working like it did in TP would have made it better…

I think just making the boots an item would fix the main problem. While it’s not a huge inconvenience to go to the menus, there is just so much of it. Especially if you’re unsure of where to go.

Also, the Zora tunic in TP was incredible. I’m not sure if it would work in OoT though.

The other very specific thing Ocarina of Time 3D did that made the Water Temple better was altering the cutscene of the water going to the middle level to make it very clear that there was a hole under the now-floating block.

I don’t remember having all that much trouble with the Water Temple as a child and I’m not super sure what the reason was for. It probably would help a person if they got the map and made sure to check the rooms they hadn’t been in yet, though. Speaking of, I don’t know how you managed to get to the second room in the temple, play the song, and then immediately leave without going through the very prominent door on the wall right before you.

1 Like

Thank you, Michael, for the ending of this update. Having to find all those keys means I kinda worried you’d miss one (because I usually miss one), but I didn’t expect the punchline.

1 Like

If I can fit a meme into the video I will. It was actually Mel’s idea to put the to be continued in there so I scrambled to figure out how to edit it in time for the release. If I was better though, I wouldn’t have needed to put it in at all. And in a future video I actually mention how I could be saving even more time in this and am just not doing it because foresight is not my friend.

Listen. I never said I was great at this game. In fact, I may have said I’m bad on more than one occasion. And more importantly, I was focused on trying to do a skip to get a key that I completely forgot to go back for.

1 Like

This coming from the man who plays it once a year.

1 Like

Yeah. And maybe one day Ill become good at it.

1 Like

So we had a small hiccup at the end last time. But that’s okay. We can go back for that key and everything will be fine. Who’s ready for a cool fight? I am. I’ve been waiting for this fight for a long time. The reveal doesn’t go as planned but it’s more or less what I wanted to get out of it.

2 Likes

It’s funny that Mel asks why you can’t use bombs underwater and then immediately retracts it, considering Twilight Princess has water bombs.

I think the “correct” way to do that sequence break is to stand on the opposite side of the pit from the bombable wall, then take a couple of steps to the side and sidehop into the pit. You’ll land on the ledge near the bombable wall.

And clearly, Link used the Biggoron Sword like a wing during that fall, generating enough lift to temporarily halt his downwards momentum, thereby preventing any fall damage. Or there are specific areas which the developers expected you to have to fall a long distance and they turned off fall damage in those areas. But I know which explanation I think is more likely.

I like to think that either the Longshot is just this length of chain somebody put in the chest that Link just slaps on the Hookshot, or he finds this longer Hookshot in the chest and just goes “Welp, I don’t need this any more” and just tosses the old Hookshot over his shoulder and never looks back.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it is the latter. After all, Link has thrown away someone’s treasure once before.

I have been able to do that sequence break before, but as always I just can’t seem to get things right in a recording.

1 Like

Look, as Majora’s Mask and the infamous Romani Ranch questline demonstrates, Link has trouble understanding basic human attachments. He may not have caught on to the concept that the people giving him these items might expect him to keep them, and not just replace them when something better comes along. Link is that German guy in the Ikea commercial.

1 Like

Is everyone else tired of being wet? Us too! So we’re gonna leave that temple today. But not before one little screw up. Its funny, all in all we didn’t have too much trouble with this dungeon. So I can’t wait to see how I handle the dungeons I genuinely loved as a kid.

3 Likes

Never doubt the capacity for Homestucks to be nearby.

1 Like

Never. I dont know anything about it and yet I am unable to escape it

1 Like

It’s weird to think just how far we are without having rescued the Gorons yet. Oh well, we have to go run across some graham cracker crust right now. Don’t judge me for my spelling, I didn’t become a designer because I knew how to spell.

2 Likes

“Dessert” has two Ss because you always want two S-ervings of dessert.

1 Like