Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

I wish I could remember where exactly I read it, but it was definitely an intentional callback to the net and Agahnim. It was brought up in an interview somewhere, but I’m having a hell of a time trying to find it again.

I’ve never done the special ways of fighting Phantom Ganon before. I really should give it a shot. Maybe not when I only have three hearts though. But aside from that.

Here’s a little bonus in response.

2 Likes

So Mel was pretty upset at me for the whole Goron Knife incident. I mean, we all thought it was funny. But maybe we should fix that now. Time for the big ol’ trade quest.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that using the warp songs does invalidate the timers on the trading sequence. Using the shortcuts, however, does not, so you can use the Lake Hylia > Zora’s River > Lost Woods > Goron City path just fine (although you haven’t unfrozen Zora’s Domain yet, so the shortcut might only save you time going from Lost Woods to Kakariko). It really saves time on that last leg, and cements Epona’s near-complete uselessness in OoT. Really, she’s only useful for early entry into the Gerudo Fortress.

1 Like

On the previous video: If I remember correctly, the bottle has a bigger hitbox than the sword and so has an easier time reflecting the energy blasts. Phantom Ganon was one of the bosses I had real trouble with my first one or two plays through the game. Him and Barinade killed me in pretty short order, I think.

The only difference with the green bubbles in this game is that they periodically turn off their flames on their own instead of getting shot or shield bashed, which you’ll at least get another chance at much later; cursing was in Majora’s Mask. Speaking of things you forgot you could do to enemies, I like how the one time you didn’t lock on to a poe sister was for the one that you actually do need to shoot with arrows and that Z-targeting makes it much easier to aim and keep track of.

It’s a bummer that your best friend now spends the rest of her life, nay, an eternity (though she wouldn’t age anyway) basically in solitude as a sage, and even more odd that she just goes with it, but Ocarina of Time has a bit of an issue overall with side characters not having a whole lot of, well, character. Especially not compared to Majora’s Mask. Even then, the nature of Zelda games in general means that every NPC will exist to be of use to you in some way and will naturally gravitate towards helping you.

Not even that, you can clear the gorge with the longshot. Early entry, I guess, but you’d never have a real need to go there before you can go straight through the desert. The real reason you’d get Epona is for the shot of you leaving the ranch. Which, fortunately, is a very good shot.

1 Like

There is one thing that you need Epona for specifically. So she has that. Also, if you don’t get her then I don’t think you can save the ranch. But maybe Talon going back will save it regardless of getting Epona or not. What you need the horse for will come soon… oh boy…

1 Like

Wait… Suddenly I’m having a hard time trying to think of the one thing you need Epona for. Everything that’s coming to mind is either optional or has an alternative.

I guess that’s just one more reason to look forward to future updates!

1 Like

I remember. Wouldn’t have expected that to be in the list of objectives, even though it makes sense.

1 Like

Everything is in the objectives. Except one thing that I found out we’ve been locked out of because of a glitch.

1 Like

We’re quickly marking off everything on our list. Going back to being a small child to deliver some stuff and go into some holes.

3 Likes

Oh, wait, I just remembered the way more obvious thing you use Epona for. That’s probably what you’re actually talking about.

1 Like

There is technically two things that need Epona. But I honestly couldn’t imagine not saving her. Especially when it’s one of the few times you get a really cool cutscene like that.

1 Like

But needing Epona isn’t today. Today, we are going somewhere a little creepy.

3 Likes

Look, half the fun of a time travel plot is being able to accidentally (or purposefully) break time.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for the sequel where we really mess with the time stream.

1 Like

Glad the LP got there eventually. God, how I wished the cuccos would kill you before you could climb up into the well, though.

To this day I’ve never ever explored the bottom of the well fully. I would reset any time I fell in a hole, looked up in a guide how to get the lens of truth and backed out immediately after grabbing it, and I feel all the richer for the lack of experience, though the idea of a late-game difficult and largely optional dungeon only for your child form is interesting. You ultimately are getting a couple of golden skulltulas and a piece of heart, if I recall correctly, with the like like behind the bars as basically the most threatening enemy in the entire dungeon.

1 Like

I would say that some of the enemies in the floor below could be more threatening at 3 hearts. But I didn’t feel the need to really explore this. We’re probably not going to be hurting for gold skulltulas, and they are everywhere if need be.

1 Like

And now we do what I think may be the worst part of the game. Aside from one other thing. I swear I love this game to bits.

You may be wondering why I didn’t speed anything up or cut anything out… Well enjoy!

Also I said the blooper reel would be out tomorrow but it’s actually going to be next Wednesday as we have taken a short break from recording for the holidays.

3 Likes

Yeah, the gyroscope aiming is so much better than a joystick for aiming in every Zelda that offers it (the 3DS remakes of OoT and MM, TP and (IIRC) WW HD, and BotW). I always play with gyroscope aiming turned on. It’s much more precise than the joystick, although joystick aiming is steadier.

I also love the fact that you get an arrow drop literally the first patch of grass you hit after buying 30 arrows. The game knows what you want, sure. Whether or not you get it depends upon what mood the RNG is in that day.

The Big Poes seem to love heading directly for the nearest wall. Even when you manage to spawn them in an open area, they seem to beeline to the nearest wall.

1 Like

It is a major problem. I realize it is a challenge, but I don’t feel like the reward weighs what you go through. Unless you’re doing it as you run into them, but I don’t see someone hitting some of these areas with Epona. Also, it’s not so hard without Epona.

As promised, here is the big mistake we made.

Next week we will return to our regular updates. Happy Holidays.

3 Likes