Three Heart Blind Guide - Let's Play Ocarina of Time

But Sheik is coming off with some bonus stars of his own. It’s really anyones game.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it’s gonna be Dampe. Sure, he’s technically dead or whatever, but that just makes him the perfect dark horse to win!

(I also think the Giant’s Knife thing was funny.)

2 Likes

Death doesn’t mean anything in Mario Party. I am very glad that my screw up has brought out such great comments.

1 Like

So Mel continues to set us off away from the story. We’ve been asleep for seven years, let us do what we want game. And it actually does. As I bring up in the video, I’ve heard so many complaints of this being too linear of a game. But it really isn’t at all. You can do almost anything in any order without the use of speed running tricks.

2 Likes

Warmal’s next Let’s Play: Metal Gear Solid. With the “thieving skills” that got him into the Gerudos, a little Tactical Espionage Action should be nothing.

Also, fun fact about the woman who informs you about Nabooru; her clothing and makeup is tied to the same palette as Link’s tunic, so you can change their color by wearing different tunics. I don’t know if that’s intended as some sort of weird Easter egg, to save RAM somehow, or if it’s just an odd glitch.

1 Like

I am actually really bad at stealth because I do not have the patience and get bad anxiety in fear of getting caught. Which is apparent in the video.
A Metal Gear Solid LP would go terribly. But of course, that would be the point.

I did not know about the clothes changing. I really wonder why that would need to be a thing.

1 Like

…Wow. You did it without the most helpful tool at your disposal, and it only took you half an hour. I feel like I get so lost in there that I end up taking half an hour with the intended tools.

Kudos.

1 Like

If only I hadn’t failed the fights so many times it would have been even less. Its not an easy section by any means. Even if you were to have the right item. Because if you get hit by that one attack, even with your shield up, you’re gonne get sent back to the start.

1 Like

Are you sure? I could swear that spin attack is blockable with a shield.

It seemed like every time I got hit, even with shield up the last spin just hit me. Maybe it was because of the incline and maybe I did actually put down my shield too soon. But it seemed like it just gets me.

And having had the time to watch the video…

Smooth McGroove is pretty great, but I haven’t seen anything new from him in ages. Is he even still making music? Maybe he’s just gone Patreon-only.

The carpenters are probably not named after developers. Ichiro, Jiro, Saburo, and Shiro are the Japanese equivalent of “Son 1, Son 2, Son 3, and Son 4”.

There was definitely a shortcut on the upper ledge that you can get to from the cell window, but I don’t remember where the other end comes out. It’s a bit easier if, after stunning a guard with your Hookshot, you smack her with your sword. It knocks her out for much longer, although she will eventually recover.

I know Smooth McGroove had started streaming. I don’t know if he still does though. Those names for the carpenters makes a lot more sense. I don’t know where I heard they were developers. But it’s always best to take what I say with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Is everyone ready for some completely flawless gameplay?

I’m sorry. Did you think that I meant my gameplay?

3 Likes

The trick for a smooth run of the Forest Temple is to remember to collect three keys before opening any locked doors, and always backtrack before proceeding when you get something that allows you to access stuff you had to skip. That’s mainly only meaningful once you’ve done it once and know where everything is, but it really helps on future playthroughs.

It’s also neat that Sheik doesn’t go through the “Equipped as you are, you cannot even enter the Temple” spiel if you already got the Hookshot.

1 Like

I’ve never come without the hookshot. That’s really interesting. I love that as much as I love this game, and show I can be competent. I clearly fail so greatly and hilariously.

Michael, you forgot to read Navi’s description of regular poes. Namely, that Z-targeting is what makes them turn invisible.

Secondly, you can’t just cut off Running in the 90s like that and leave us all hanging.

2 Likes

I honestly did not know that that is what Navi said. I should really show off more of her descriptions.

I’m sorry. But that’s as much of the song I could fit with the speed up. If there is ever a reason to, I will meme it again.

Also fun fact. I got a copyright claim on this video, but not for what you’d expect. No, it was not for the 2 blatant uses of the Initial D soundtrack for meme purposes. It was for 10 seconds in the hedge maze where the lost woods song is easily heard. Particularly around the “hook them in the ass” comment from @teavenchurr

1 Like

Okay. I promise that this video contains far better gameplay than the last. But that’s not saying a whole lot. I do like the Forest Temple. It’s not my best, when I played this with my friends back in the day, they liked it a lot more so they ended up playing it more often than I did. But the atmosphere is really good, the music is great, and as stated earlier, if you know to get the keys before hand it can go a lot quicker.

2 Likes

The first phase of the Phantom Ganon fight is almost trivial if you look at the pattern his attacks make. He aims at the center of the pedestal, and the electric arcs always cover the same portion of the floor. I believe the Triforce marks in the corners are safe spots, and as long as you stand on one of those, he can never hit you. Then it’s just a matter of hitting him enough times to get to the second part.

I’ve won at power tennis using an empty bottle, but it’s tough. The ball moves faster every time you hit it with a sword, but not the bottle, so Phantom Ganon can return it every time. The only way to trip him up is to move forward a bit between hits to throw off the timing.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the implication is that the Great Deku Seedling is a Piccolo Jr.-esque deal; it inherited all of the knowledge of its progenitor. And if I had any Photoshop skills at all, I’d edit the “Intel Inside” logo to “TreeDad Inside”, but I don’t, so I’ll offer that joke to anyone who wants it.

The “bottle tennis” is definitely a reference to Agahnim in Link to the Past and being able to use the Bug-Catching Net to reflect his spells. Since there’s no Net in Ocarina, as you use the Bottles directly to capture things, they allowed you to reflect Phantom Ganon’s spells with the Bottle. Interestingly, it was easier to use the Net in that game, due to the full 360 arc of the Net offering better coverage than the sword. My favorite weird item interaction, though, is in Twilight Princess. In that game, if you pull out your Fishing Pole in the final battle against Ganondorf, he simply stops doing anything, allowing you to switch back to the sword and get a couple good hits in. You can completely break the fight this way. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be that he’s dumbfounded that you’d bring a fishing pole to a swordfight, or if they just didn’t bother to code a response because they assumed nobody would attempt to use the fishing rod on the final boss.