The Political Cartoons Thread: Still Somehow Blaming Obama!

Dumb message aside: Are these people actually talking to each other? One gives a question and the one on the right answers her sign instead.

Yeahhhhh thatā€™s not what Matt was going for Garrison

It looks to me like Ben Garrison is fine with a personā€™s cartoon being co-opted by Nazis and used to promote hate speech while leaving that personā€™s name and reputation on themā€¦wait a minuteā€¦
FLASHBACK

4 Likes

It must be nice for Garrison, being a hack who doesnā€™t have to worry about fringe political elements hijacking his IP. Itā€™s because he doesnā€™t have any IP, because his entire career is based on shitty hot-takes about current events.

I feel so bad for Furie. Itā€™s like the run of the mill art theft you see every day on the internet x1,000,000, and thereā€™s nothing he can do about it because our copyright system can only be enforced by millionaires.

4 Likes

It so sad. To see a thing you put your heart and soul into stolen and morphed into something you can hardly recognize.

Yā€™know, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anybody have the hot take of ā€œThe replacement is pretty much equally as bad as Obamacareā€ so far, so this is pretty uniquely dumb, lol. Iā€™ve only seen ā€œThe replacement is way better/worse.ā€ What kinda cartoonist thinks ā€œObamacare was like a shark biting Uncle Samā€™s head but this new thing is like a bear biting Uncle Samā€™s head, theyā€™re almost the same bad thingā€? Interesting.

How dare this Garrison give my brand such a bad name :frowning:

Thatā€™s not Garrison, thatā€™s Jeff Darcy of cleveland.com. Heā€™s pretty much the political polar opposite of Garrison.

Though ironically this was his cartoon chiding the former Hillary campaign last week.

What? An artist doesnā€™t like a thing they made because it was co-opted by literal nazis and they killed them in-comic? Better start respecting their wi- oh wait weā€™re morally bankrupt and still need a symbol to push.

How are we supposed to know what the frog person represents if itā€™s not even labeled, Ben?

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but I read it as being from the GOPā€™s pov (because of the elephant) thereby demonstrating their double-standard.

Garrison is just barely on the cusp of realizing that fictional entities were created by another person and have no independent existence.

While heā€™s still not quite there it does give him a leg up on your garden variety nerd.

If it were criticizing Republicans, I feel like Obamacare would have been portrayed as a small dog or something, not a shark. So it feels like the cartoonist is saying ā€œthey made one thatā€™s just as bad!ā€ which is, like I said, a unique view on the situation. Most people think this is either way better or way worse than Obamacare, not ā€œjust as bad.ā€

Well, I mean, it IS criticizing Republicans, but in a vaguer way than Iā€™m used to seeing in a poltoon, with the additional weird outlook of ā€œitā€™s just as badā€.

I see what you mean. Itā€™s odd, for sure.

Been looking through the Garrison trolling saga, and itā€™sā€¦quite something. Ran into this charming piece, and Iā€™m actually not sure if it is a genuine Benny G or a spoof.

It did definitely lead to him having a real grudge against Nazis for a while, though somehow he doesnā€™t seem to tie that to the modern political situation.

I havenā€™t seen it about Trumpcare specifically but Iā€™ve been hearing it about the GOP in general since the election, so Iā€™m not really surprised to see it either. Iā€™m a little befuddled but mostly because I know enough about what Trumpcare is going to do to people that I canā€™t really parse the sentiment.

Frankly, these days ā€œRepubs and Dems are as bad as each otherā€ really only means ā€œI stopped paying attention to politics back in the Clinton administration and refuse to start, but want to maintain my moral superiority while the country goes up in flames.ā€

3 Likes

Oh man, I canā€™t wait to start my LP of ā€œIā€™m a Euphoric Loserā€ just as soon as I can get my capture card to record my MICROSOFTā„¢ XBOXā„¢

5 Likes

Local Man literally too stupid to understand the phrase ā€œWitch Huntā€.

7 Likes