The Political Cartoons Thread: Still Somehow Blaming Obama!

What a complete wanker

Yes, but also, remember: there are a lot of faux-intellectual MRA types on the right and they pride themselves deeply on being creatures of pure rational thought. The left gets angry about things because theyā€™re childish, irrational, and petty; the right gets angry about things because itā€™s logical and justified to be angry about it.

One of the core problems with conservatism is that to a certain degree, conservatives never fully internalized that thing people supposedly figure out around age two that other people are independent beings with thoughts and experiences distinct from their own. The more you disagree with them, the more they think of you as some kind of weird talking animal or fleshy automaton with a hard-wired directive to be contrary and wrong. Iā€™m trying to put into words a hypothesis about how this ties into their tendency to think theyā€™re under some kind of directed attack all the time but Iā€™m having trouble with it. I think the rough version is, they donā€™t look at politeness as something you do because people deserve to be treated decently regardless of creed, itā€™s a survival tactic, because if youā€™re not careful around dumb animals theyā€™ll interpret any innocuous thing as provocation and attack.

2 Likes

Thank Christ Bill Leak is dead. Iā€™m not joking when I say I thought it wouldā€™ve been another aneurysm that did him in.

Anyway. ā€œMar-A-Locoā€:

5 Likes

zooms into the lower lines
I canā€™t believe noted defender of pedophilia Milo Yiannopoulis would be rejected.
So much for the tolerant left

2 Likes

Jenner fact: I thought his name was pronounced Mee-lo not My-lo because I have gone out of my way to avoid ever hearing his name.

3 Likes

There was a thread on SAā€™s Debate and Discussion forum about this. It was a thinktank/discussion and analysis of the psychological patterns of communities and how theyā€™ve shaped modern politics. think the title was ā€œDecoding Authoritarians,ā€ by Prester Jane (then Fred).

I thought it was really interesting and pretty sensible. Prester Jane is currently doing a rewrite and editing to get her theories up on a blog and/or book deal, sheā€™s been talking with published authors in the fields already.

1 Like

This is good. I highly encourage you to avoid hearing him speak as well, because he sounds exactly as douchy as youā€™d think. Heā€™s the exact gay stereotype that you absolutely dread he is, with the most punchable ideas and voice imaginable. I had to apologize to Matpat after hearing him speak because I had been proven wrong about who has the most annoying voice on the planet.

4 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to read that, any word on when I can expect something? I was speaking anecdotally and Iā€™m curious to hear what someone who like, knows about psychology professionally has to say about it.

Asked around, and one poster was kind enough to assemble a summary for me. This is still a work in progress, and as they suggest, if youā€™re really curious it might be worthwhile to simply filter the thread by the OPā€™s posts and slog on through. Iā€™ll check back in once and a while to wait for the new blog, as well.

Hereā€™s a summary

Oh when did that thread get reopened? I knew PJ closed it right after the election, and I kinda sorta toxxed myself for the election and havenā€™t been back since so I havenā€™t been paying attention.

Not sure on the when exactly, but it was recent. PJ took a hiatus to acquire a better headspace, but it looks like sheā€™s back and doing well.

Remember Mother Goose and Grimm, the otherwise not political syndicated comic strip in the newspaper? Remember the comic they did about Hans Blix, the leader of the UN team that looked for ā€œweapons of mass destructionā€ in Iraq and concluded there werenā€™t any? Because Iā€™ve never forgotten:

11 Likes

Omg thatā€™s Robotnik in the second car on the right

1 Like

Right next to the obligatory crying Statue of Liberty.

Interesting and informative, but I think not quite what Iā€™m talking about? Iā€™ve observed some common patterns of behavior in what I guess youā€™d generously call ā€œreasonable conservatives.ā€ People who are grade-A selfish buttholes without being full-blown cultists, and thatā€™s what I was referring to.

Well, it doesnā€™t apply to just the cultists, as you put it, as those would be Narrativisits at high levels of compaction, to use PJā€™s terms. Itā€™s a look at the sorts of thought patterns and behaviors that can lead to more and more radicalized assholery.

By implication, the FGYM ā€œreasonable conservativesā€ would stand a good chance of being Narrativists at medium levels of compaction.

Fair. Thinking about how Iā€™m trying to vocalize my observations it does seem like the behaviors Iā€™m thinking of are scaled-back versions of capital-A Authoritarian shit.

ā€œPoint-of-Purchase Of No Returnā€

3 Likes

What loser kid doesnā€™t want to hang out with death.

3 Likes