The Anime Thread: It's not just for kids! It's deep! It's EMOTIONAL!!!

Team Rocket also finally wins against Ash, in a legit fight

Everything Iā€™ve heard about Pokemon Sun and Moon the anime has made me want to watch it but I donā€™t want to try catching up on it since I think itā€™s already close to 20 episodes

I started with episode 12; its brainless enough that you can figure out whatā€™s going on within about two minutes of each episode.
@LumberjackBonanza And even better they have no idea what theyā€™re supposed to do

I made a thing, figured this would be the most relevent thread.

I just started watching Monster the other day. Iā€™m only up to episode 7, and itā€™s interesting so far. Iā€™m not too sure how it will go on for 70 episodes though. Anyone here have any opinions on this show?

I watched the first episode a while back and it didnā€™t really grab meā€¦

I stopped at around, sayā€¦ episode 40-50 or so? I lost steam watching it because I watched it at a marathon pace (which i recommend you not do in general if you want to enjoy it to itā€™s fullest), and I really want to get back into it!

also love the first ending song

and the music mainly used for the ā€œon the next episodeā€ segments sticks with me

1 Like

Said earlier I might talk about some favorite anime movies and OVAs, so hereā€™s that.

Belladonna of Sadness ā€“ Massive trigger warnings for this one. Terrifying psychedelic drama about a young woman in rural medieval France who makes a pact with a demon. Made in 1973, recently rediscovered and given limited theatrical showings in the US.

Cyber City Oedo 808 ā€“ DICK SPLASH!! Campy 80s cyberpunk courtesy of Yoshiaki Kawajiri, with the best English dub ever made.

Dirty Pair Project EDEN ā€“ Kei and Yuri go up against a mad scientist, and thereā€™s a lot of cheesy 80s music, fluid animation, and a fantastic James Bond-style title sequence. This movie fucking rules.

Mind Game ā€“ Masaki Yuasa, the director of Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, and Kaiba, started with this wildly inventive fantasy thatā€™s mostly about being stuck in your 20s, death, and finding purpose in life. Contains the best depiction of God in a motion picture.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket ā€“ The story of a boy, a terrorist, impending nuclear annihilation, and one magical Christmas youā€™ll never forget!

Neo-Tokyo (aka Labyrinth Story) ā€“ Scifi short films by Rintaro, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, and Katsuhiro Otomo. Less than an hour long but full of wonderfully weird and creepy visuals.

Redline ā€“ A futuristic grand prix race on a distant planet. It has impressive (and entirely hand-drawn) animation, plenty of goofy alien designs, and impossibly cool cars. Sort of a movie version of F-Zero. Took its director about six years to make it. Donā€™t be put off by the fact that the cover has a glowing review from Harry Knowles; itā€™s actually good.

Robot Carnival ā€“ Another compilation of short sci-fi stories bookended by the titular Robot Carnival (another Otomo creation). Highlights include an 1800s giant robot fight, a Fantasia-inspired chase between a sleepy drunk and a city full of deadly robots, and fun at a futuristic theme park. Skip Presence, it sucks.

Roujin Z ā€“ A military technology company designs a caretaking bed for the elderly, that handles day-to-day functions without the need of a human assistant. A prototype bed, with an elderly man strapped into it, gains sentience and goes on a sort of journey of discovery/rampage absorbing all technology in its path. Oh, and the bed can talk, and takes on the voice of the elderly manā€™s deceased wife. A young nurse, who was the manā€™s caretaker, has to outwit the military and save the man before itā€™s too late. Otomo mechanical and character designs, with art direction and set design by Satoshi Kon. And itā€™s a comedy.

The Venus Wars ā€“ Late 90s early 2000s Scifi Channel staple about a resistance force on a future terraformed Venus in the midst of a civil war. The characters are quite compelling, even thru a rushed third act. Eye-popping animation and a rockinā€™ soundtrack.

All of Satoshi Konā€™s features and TV series. Just watch ā€˜em. Theyā€™re good.

Goes without saying but most of Ghibli/Miyazaki/Takahataā€™s output such as Horus: Prince of the Sun, The Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kikiā€™s Delivery Service, Only Yesterday, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, On Your Mark, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Tales of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, The Red Turtle

3 Likes

A plan Iā€™ve had for a while is to watch visually unique or very stylish anime like Belladonna of Sadness and Redline, but I donā€™t really have a list outside of about 5 anime. Most of the list is actually at least mentioned on your list.

I would like to bring up Jojoā€™s Bizarre Adventure, Gatchaman Crowds, Nichijou, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun, and Gundam Build Fighters. Also Jojoā€™s Bizarre Adventure again, because JOJO.

All of these are good.

2 Likes

Seconding this, as well as Build Fighters Try, which is sadly probably the closest weā€™re ever gonna get to another G Gundam
(also BOTH SERIES are available on youtube in full for free on the official Gundam youtube channel because they are saints)

I donā€™t think itā€™s very popular but one of my favorites is ā€œPet shop of horrorsā€ that follows a very feminine man named Count D. He basically gives people supernatural pets with a condition or rule of keeping them they have to keep, (think gremlins and the feeding rule) and if or when they break the rule terrible things happen to them.

:tw: this contains a slur against homosexuals and violence so iā€™m giving you guys a trigger warning right now, it gets kind of grotesque in parts oh yeah this eposide also deals with drugs. :nsfw:

Oh man am I the only one who posted a horror anime? I do hope thatā€™s allowed lol.

I watched Pet Shop of Horrors quite a few years ago. I remember enjoying it enough.

Nozaki-kun is the only good anime about making manga.

I donā€™t see anyone mentioning ā€œBlack Butlerā€ which is a really good anime though like Tokyo Ghoul I think its second season isnā€™t very good such a shame. also Iā€™ll mention Tokyo ghoul season 1 I canā€™t stand how much worse season 2 is.

Anime horrorā€¦ Iā€™m trying to think of good stuff that fits into that category. Koji Morimoto, a very talented designer and director (he did the Frankenā€™s Gears segment of Robot Carnival, Magnetic Rose in Memories, Beyond in The Animatrix, and was an animator on AKIRA, Mind Game, and the video game Catherine) did an exceptionally creepy music video for Ken Ishiiā€™s song ā€œEXTRAā€.
Be forewarned it is :nsfw:, contains gore, robot nudity, and strobe lighting.

@pyroi @onlerin God I want another season of that show.

1 Like

See, when I think about anime horror, I think about Green Green, but itā€™s horror for entirely different reasons:

We streamed a bit of this shitshow yesterday (as itā€™s always been a katsucon/valentines day tradition in my group to watch a really shitty romcom and make fun of it, and I absolutely lost it at this:

This is on the main menu of the dvd, and I had somehow missed it for years

Finally, an anime that understands how breasts work

I hope you didnā€™t do any form of drinking game during that viewing, that wouldā€™ve be dangerous.

Also hi anime thread, Iā€™ve been lurking this thread for almost a week and havenā€™t posted yet. I donā€™t really have any preferences for genres, but I guess I prefer a movieā€™s pacing over a long running series.