Resident Evil: The Evolution of Crank-based Technology

RE7 (just a character name):

Marguerite is basically crazy Beth Grant and I kind of love her.

RE7 was the first RE I actually finished. The other ones I played being RE1 (og) which I never bothered finishing and Revelations (bland, I know people like it but itā€™s boring and I donā€™t care enough to get to the good parts). And yeah, I know you all want me to play RE4 but I really donā€™t want to have to play a game that is still censored in my country after being rereleased simply because Capcom were too lazy to resubmit the game when every mario game is more graphic at this point (Mario is hardcore)

Unlike the other REs I played RE7 starts with the good parts and continues with the good parts until the end when thereā€™s a slightly less good part.

Itā€™s almost hilarious how the seventh game in the series plays exactly like the first ones. I mean, first person controls are basically tank controls, if you think about it.

Oh, and my favorite character is indeed Barry. Even though I never finished any of the games he appears in. But heā€™s my buddy.

1 Like

play a game that is still censored in my country after being rereleased simply because Capcom were too lazy to resubmit the game

Holy shit Capcom has a bad track record of rereleasing resident evil games with promises of removed censorship only to have just plain forgotten (like RE1 Directorā€™s cut)

Yeah, itā€™s totally absurd at this point, and there wasnā€™t really anywhere they couldā€™ve gone except for a reboot, I can see that. And Iā€™m glad people are enjoying the more horror themed new game, itā€™s just that horror games (actually scary ones anyway) are not my thing. So Iā€™d rather like more B-movie nonsense, but I completely understand why Iā€™m the minority on this one.

Also hell yeah, I gotta get that! :smile: I saw Slowbeef and Diabetus riff on Obscure 2, and that was already pretty cheesy.

That one was actually released in Germany (well, at least I bought it regularly in a store back in the day), which is rather surprising because most of the other games were censored to shit. RE4 doesnā€™t even have the Mercenaries mode for whatever damn stupid reason.

1 Like

The HD remake of RE1 is actually uncensored in Germany, though, after it got rereleased. RE4 isnā€™t, though. And I donā€™t know why.

At least REs censorship is nowhere near as bad as that of Saintā€™s Row 2 (German link).

Oh man, yes, I have that version of Saints Row 2. Itā€™s soooooo bad. The BPJM makes weird decisions sometimes. But thatā€™s always been the case with them.

Iā€™m guessing Capcom still wasnā€™t sure the HD version of RE4 would pass the censors, so they just left it as it was.

After going through all the side games, sans Umbrella Corps, I am surprised at the quality of some of them. Dead Aim was certainly something and you can tell that it was supposed to be a Leon affair.
Iā€™d have to say that Outbreak 1 was my favorite of the side games, despite the mechanics being polished for File 2, the scenarios were a bit better in 1, though my experience could be soured because of File 2ā€™s AI.

Obligatory picture of Leon.

Dead Aim is the one side game Iā€™ve wanted to replay, last I tried it I was likeā€¦ 10? And even got the light gun. I remember very well the extremely obvious Leon, Ada, and Mr. X knock offs and I loved it. The tyrant of that game is still my favorite in the series.

I only saw a little bit of Dead Aim played when I was a kid, so itā€™s probably the Resident Evil game I have the least coherent memory and knowledge of. That being said, Iā€™d hella dig seeing a playthrough, so maybe someoneā€™ll drop that on the forum, or maybe thereā€™s a decent LP somewhere on Youtube.

If anyone know of any good LPs of Dead Aim, Iā€™m very open to suggestions :wink:

EDIT: Holy shit though, RE: Survivor was only mentioned by like one person so far in this thread. Was that game any good? I wasnā€™t convinced it was anything but my own fever dream until just now.

Lady Naga is doing a letā€™s play of the entire Resident Evil series + partial playthroughs of side games. I donā€™t think the LP is at Dead Aim yet, but itā€™ll reach that point eventually.

2 Likes

Ooh! Thank you very much. Iā€™ll be sure to keep an eye out for when it does.

I did a couple of Dead Aim videos last year, It comes in streamed and longplay flavors

4 Likes

I hope yā€™all have seen the cutscenes from Gun Survivor 2: Code VERONICA. Itā€™s probably the worst of the spinoffs since it reuses CV environments and is way more dull than either the original Survivor or Dead Aim.

No, it really wasnā€™t. Itā€™s ugly, clunky and pretty stupid. I donā€™t mind the stupid part, because that makes it funny, but itā€™s kind of annoying to play. Iā€™d say go with an LP of it if youā€™re interested, thereā€™s no real reason to play it.

1 Like

Resident Evil: Gun Survivor was the inspiration behind RE7. A hallmark in first person horror design.

On a serious note, it had a few neat ideas, like semi-branching paths, but overall it was very clunky.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame. I like Ark. Not really sure why, think I just dig his name and face, so itā€™s a shame his game sucks. Iā€™ll probably watch an LP with some popcorn when Iā€™m really in the mood for that kinda entertainment. Thanks for answering me :slight_smile:

No problem, glad to help out :slight_smile:

Yeah, there were some interesting ideas, but it lacked polish and didnā€™t work very well in general. I wonder if it wouldā€™ve worked better if Iā€™d played it with a light gun (like it was originally intended) instead of the controller. Somehow I donā€™t think it wouldā€™ve improved the experience much.

This game is trying and failing to convince me that Steve is cool and good.

At least we canā€™t hear his voice. Weā€™ll never know if heā€™s sorey.

The only thing about the Gun Survivor games I liked were the more Tyrant designs. I donā€™t know why, but Tyrants(and the like) are my biggest draw to the series, or used to be anyway. Shit like Nyx(And the Tyant-R it absorbed):

Or Morpheus(I still find it strange that the virus made him female? Unless he was a trans man beforehand which I doubt was the intention lol):

And the thing that makes me most excited for the RE2make, G-Birkin in glorious HD: