Let's Play The Sims 3 and become a Master Thief

Doreen Quirk, the woman who will Posses Nine Tenths Of The World’s Treasures.

I’m sticking with Daniella II as my name choice. And while Great Explorer certainly sounds like it’ll be a little less immediately illegal, I think Become a Master Thief is the way to go. I mean, why would she possess $50,000 of stolen goods when it all belongs in a museum?

Dawn Clark, the Great Explorer.

Daniella Quirk, aspiring Master Thief it is. Stealing left and right is fine, but there’s nothing wrong with aspiring to financial stability.

Carrie Sanantonio, the woman who will Become a Master Thief.

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Please ignore this.

Part 1: Daniella Begins

Right! Time to play the game proper.

Cheap and secluded. That’ll do.

Oh. I guess it’s time for a tutorial.

Wishes! These are pretty danged important. Essentially, our Sims will want things, and we can fulfill these desires for valuable points which can then be spent on things.

Wishes come and go via that smaller window up at the top. If we see one we feel like we can do, we promise it, thus putting it into one of our four active wish slots. We can then do the thing and get Lifetime Happiness Points, which can then be spent on rewards.

The tutorial has decided that we want to buy a couch, and it was even nice enough to give us $500 with which to do so. Hey, free porch couch!

Next, we’re taught about Mood and Moodlets. Mood is that little green gauge you see there. The higher it is, the better our mood. Being in a good mood passively generates Lifetime Happiness Points, and probably has other effects that someone else knows better than I do.

Moodlets are, plain and simple, modifiers to Mood. Moodifiers. They can come from all kinds of sources, and can be positive or negative. Right now, Daniella has a nice big stack of positive ones from being outdoors, having bought a couch, being in a well-decorated area, and being clean. She’s in a good place!

Satisfied with her performance in the tutorial, Daniella kicks back on her bed and fantasizes about becoming a criminal.

In traditional Sims fashion, we check the newspaper for our desired job…and curiously enough, we find it! I can only assume we subscribe to The Daily Burgle.

Doing well at our job - and thus getting promotions - is a matter of performance, which is a matter of meeting those performance requirements you see there on the right. Generally it’s a matter of going to work happy and having high ranks in certain skills. I’ll let you figure out which one’s which in this screenshot.

Craving advancement, Daniella wishes both to gain her first point in Athletics and attend an exercise course of some kind.

Not only will this earn us our first rank in Athletics, but it’ll let us pull off a sick 2x wish fulfillment combo as well.

So we depart. And this brings us to one of the very cool things about Sims 3 - it’s a seamless, open world. Unlike previous games where you’re confined to your house unless you want to sit through a loading screen, you can just up and go places! It’s pretty great.

And no, we’re not going to learn about achievements.

Daniella disappears into the stadium for what I choose to believe is an hour-long seminar about the importance of hydration. And she emerges with her first skill point in Athletics!

After class, Daniella decides to call Sinbad and chat him up. Turns out Sinbad is her boss.

She wants to put her newfound skill to use by jogging home, so we do so. Along with that first skill point she’s unlocked the ability to…well, you can read the tooltip yourself.

On her way home, Daniella gets her SECOND skill point. That blue gauge above her head signifies her progress towards the next level of whatever skill she may be improving.

Take note of the skills tab, too. As you can see by the pips, we have two out of ten levels in Athletics. The white outline indicates any requirements for job promotions - in this case, level three in Athletics.

Now, before Daniella gets home, I’m going to do a bit of renovating.

What’s this? A smoke alarm? Daredevils need no smoke alarms.

I also shift the furniture around, buy a bookshelf…

…and put a boombox out on the back porch next to the outdoor washing machine this house came with for some reason.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she likes her new boombox.

Looks like she’s happy to have the reading material, too.

She’s getting fairly peckish, though, so I have her make her first meal.

The mac and chee is prepared successfully and without incident.

After a bout of Extreme Dancing, it’s time to go to Extreme Sleep.

Handily, highlighting a sleeping Sim’s sleep action in the action queue will tell you just how long they’re going to be in slumber.

After a nice morning shower, Daniella goes to make some-

…are those your work clothes?

One can only hope our heroine is better at crime than she is at waffles.

She already wants to get away from it all, but that’s definitely not in our price range for the time being. She also wants to visit the summer festival, seeing as it’s, well, summer.

Oop, carpool’s here. Best of luck, Daniella!

4 Likes

Is our Miss Quick going to be having to focus on laundry a lot because of the junky washer on her porch?

Is she ever!

You keep making these great decisions.

First Unleashed and now laundry.

Don’t be silly, Unleashed was for Sims 1.

I will never stop being amused by the fact that criminals in Sim World carpool to work.

It’s called SimNation, I’ll have you know.

Got reminded by a tumblr post, but how do genetics work in Sims 3 considering the diverse range of skin colours?

Are all of the Quirklets destined to be slightly cyan?

If Sims of two skin hues breed, the offspring will be the hue of either the mother or the father. If Daniella got it on with a red man, for example, the offspring would be either red or cyan - not purple.

Sorry for the lack of updates - I got carried away in my initial session and played about three weeks’ worth of Daniella’s life in one sitting.

Should be fine if I post it within a week from now, right? :v

1 Like

Woah! A Sims 3 LP!! The graphics look great and the open-world seems so fun! I never thought of being able to jog all the way back to the house could be so satisfying and rewarding! My old pc cannot handle the sims 3 and sims 4 so it’s really nice to see the LP for the game :slight_smile:

In the thread it’s said that Daredevils do not need smoke alarm while the trait description mentions they love fire. Does it mean they can extinguish fire easily without fear of having the appliances burnt or sims catching on fire?

Well, I don’t know about lack of damage, but Daredevils tend to be pretty on the ball about putting out fires.

All right, here’s the deal. Having about 22 sim days to cover gave me, well, a freaking lot to cover. Thus my month-and-a-half paralysis at the idea of making an update. Lesson learned, going to play in shorter bursts…and I’m going to spread out that big-ass play sesh over a few updates, hopefully coming over the weekend. Please enjoy.

Part 2: Work Hard, Play Hard

Daniella’s off to work! When working, you can choose one of several options - pushing yourself for higher job performance, schmoozing with co-workers, or passively improving a skill. We’re going to start by trying to lay some social groundwork.

Sometimes this game is too real. :frowning:

But enough depression. Time for some hard-earned leisure!

whup

Flowers growing on the festival grounds? Don’t mind if I do!

EXCUSE ME, WHAT

So we end up making about $1,000 by randomly picking flowers, but also get hit with a pretty nasty debuff because pollen?

We then decide to treat ourselves to some funnel cake, which, uh…

Eh, that’s about right.

We also get a bit of skating in while the game jabbers on to us about what NPCs are doing.

…god, it’s late, actually. We should go home.

Day 3: second verse, same as the first.

Note that we’re worse off because of our cheap shower being too cold. If we had more money, a better shower would be in order.

Right now, though, the fundamentals are our priority.

Our girl also wants a trampoline, but to the tune of almost half our money, that is not happening. To give you an idea, we’re making about $100 per day.

When Daniella gets home, cleaning is…

…nnnnot an insignificant part of her evening.

Also, it seems no good luck goes unpunished.

At the very least, there’s always still macaroni.

Okay, y’know what? It’s time to put that TV of ours to use.

In addition to the succor of entertainment, our boob tube can provide some skill gains via what is quite unmistakably the Food Network.

Our epicurean edification is cut short by a phone call. Get paid for doing something we would’ve done for our job anyway? We can do that.

Tomorrow.

Day three: our day off. The workout goes off without a hitch.

Our pasta: acceptable.

We take a taxi to the sports-relevant rabbit hole, and we collect.

On the way home we stop by the festival grounds for a bit of fun.

We…run into someone at the skating rink.

He seems nice. Maybe even rich.

Hell, he likes a good hot dog too. We’ll definitely be keeping him in mind.

Daniella wants us to buy something, so we opt for a treadmill.

An alien regards our boombox. We slumber.

Day five: highly unrealistic. Every season has its own holiday, which means a free day off work! Might as well see if we can try and work on our new friend a bit today.

That’s fine. We can have fun all by ourselves.

Let’s Play The Sims 3 and become a Master Thief OST - Leisure Day - No Wei

Saaaay, we’ve been swimming a while. Y’know what we can do at night?

Y’know what we can do with unattended objects at night? :wiggle:

She sure did, game.

Oh hey our boss lives here?

Oh hey our boss has lots of cool stuff just lying around?

Day 5: Success.

4 Likes

How is Daniella not already a master thief when she just yoink’d an entire car? And in her underwear no less.

1 Like