Let's Play The Sims 3 and become a Master Thief

Part 2: Work Hard, Play Hard

Daniella’s off to work! When working, you can choose one of several options - pushing yourself for higher job performance, schmoozing with co-workers, or passively improving a skill. We’re going to start by trying to lay some social groundwork.

Sometimes this game is too real. :frowning:

But enough depression. Time for some hard-earned leisure!

whup

Flowers growing on the festival grounds? Don’t mind if I do!

EXCUSE ME, WHAT

So we end up making about $1,000 by randomly picking flowers, but also get hit with a pretty nasty debuff because pollen?

We then decide to treat ourselves to some funnel cake, which, uh…

Eh, that’s about right.

We also get a bit of skating in while the game jabbers on to us about what NPCs are doing.

…god, it’s late, actually. We should go home.

Day 3: second verse, same as the first.

Note that we’re worse off because of our cheap shower being too cold. If we had more money, a better shower would be in order.

Right now, though, the fundamentals are our priority.

Our girl also wants a trampoline, but to the tune of almost half our money, that is not happening. To give you an idea, we’re making about $100 per day.

When Daniella gets home, cleaning is…

…nnnnot an insignificant part of her evening.

Also, it seems no good luck goes unpunished.

At the very least, there’s always still macaroni.

Okay, y’know what? It’s time to put that TV of ours to use.

In addition to the succor of entertainment, our boob tube can provide some skill gains via what is quite unmistakably the Food Network.

Our epicurean edification is cut short by a phone call. Get paid for doing something we would’ve done for our job anyway? We can do that.

Tomorrow.

Day three: our day off. The workout goes off without a hitch.

Our pasta: acceptable.

We take a taxi to the sports-relevant rabbit hole, and we collect.

On the way home we stop by the festival grounds for a bit of fun.

We…run into someone at the skating rink.

He seems nice. Maybe even rich.

Hell, he likes a good hot dog too. We’ll definitely be keeping him in mind.

Daniella wants us to buy something, so we opt for a treadmill.

An alien regards our boombox. We slumber.

Day five: highly unrealistic. Every season has its own holiday, which means a free day off work! Might as well see if we can try and work on our new friend a bit today.

That’s fine. We can have fun all by ourselves.

Let’s Play The Sims 3 and become a Master Thief OST - Leisure Day - No Wei

Saaaay, we’ve been swimming a while. Y’know what we can do at night?

Y’know what we can do with unattended objects at night? :wiggle:

She sure did, game.

Oh hey our boss lives here?

Oh hey our boss has lots of cool stuff just lying around?

Day 5: Success.

4 Likes

How is Daniella not already a master thief when she just yoink’d an entire car? And in her underwear no less.

1 Like

How can you call yourself a master when you answer to another thief?

Don’t Sims get upset if you invite them over and they notice a stolen item of theirs in your home?

I distinctly remember my Sim stealing a picture from another Sim’s home and putting it up in my Sim’s home. I forgot about it hours later and when I decided to throw a party with that Sim, I invited that other Sim over and they noticed the picture and became furious with my Sim. Am I remembering this correctly?

I end up inviting the guy over later so I don’t think so, actually.

If you had the car out and he didn’t freak than this must just just be a false memory.

Did anyone else notice Daniella dreaming about police sirens?

Anxiety over the new job, perhaps?

1 Like

That car had flame decals. His son prayed at night for burglars. Congrats on making a child’s wishes come true!

1 Like

Part 3: The Grind

Day 6. Waking up, Daniella awakes to a twinge of guilt. She wants to anonymously mail back the lamp we stole from Sinbad, but I decided against it.

We eat our pasta. We listen to the frogs. We try not to think about the toilet. All in all, a typical morning.

I was tempted to sell the truck, but to be quite honest I prefer keeping it to having a few thousand bucks. And hey, it’s a step up from the carpool in terms of speed!

Upon pulling into work, I decide to have Daniella suck up to her boss and potential future partner. Even if we don’t end up pursuing him romantically, it’s still not a bad idea to cozy up to the man who pays us.

Ah, this old chestnut. While I can’t claim to be a total expert at the game, I’ve seen this sort of opportunity come up quite a bit. Read the book, make some headway to that next juicy promotion.

We end up getting promoted to a rather more thiefly position. Thankfully, the opportunity is still valid.

And speaking of promotions, that one netted us enough lifetime happiness to buy our first reward. We won’t see the benefits just yet, but suffice to say that it’s one of the juicier ones.

Settling in at home and looking into the larcenous libram, Daniella lusts for a more literary locale.

…okay, maybe she’s just lusting for computer privileges.

We take advantage of the hilariously realistic ability to lie on our dating profile. Nobody really needs to know about our little stealing condition.

As for the other profiles…well, they’re not particularly important.

I then take Daniella puttering around town for a bit, failing to realize that you can’t steal from community lots like this fire station.

Daniella dozes and develops a desire for a dryer, so I decide to destroy the decrepit dryer and drain her dinero to deliver a duplicate.

…and a washer, too, to match.

This is why I don’t just get rid of them entirely, by the way. If I did, I’d likely end up with a single piece of laundry that can’t really be dealt with. Maybe when we move. :v

I wish I could say anything interesting happened on Day 7, but nope. Just this opportunity, which we of course decline.

In the wee hours of the morning on Day 8, Daniella earns her first point of Handiness skill. In addition to making us fix stuff more gooder, the Handiness skill also allows us to improve certain objects. It’s very, well, handy!

And even in spite of our literary lollygagging, our mood management and skill diligence award us another promotion.

In light of the next rank’s requirements, it’s off to the gym to work out and do a little light reading.

Day 9 arrives, and with it, Fall, so Daniella decides to make a golden brown breakfast that’s every bit as delightfully crispy as the leaves.

Unfortunately we’ve got one of those damn Australian sinks, which is under the impression that it’s time to Spring a leak.

Our shift has been moved from 10am to 9pm, so we spend some time napping and tidying up.

Holy cow, that was a major performance boost.

Upon arriving home, I notice that we’ve stolen something from work. Sure, why not?

We of course set Daniella to work getting incrasingly swole.

On this, the day of our lord day 10, the heavens want Daniella to use the Push Self mode, which gives us better results at the expense of regretting it later.

Pays off, though.

On Day 11, Daniella pitches in with a “Crime Job” at the local science facility only to find herself quite literally running late on her shift.

Eh. Sure, why not.

Day 12: our boss, sleeping at his afternoon Halloween party which he told us about at 7am.

“Y’know, I spent my morning throwing this costume together instead of eating, and I don’t see any snacks…eh, Sinbad won’t mind if I have some juice.”

“…what?”

I want you to picture Sinbad shouting this at us from the bathroom as we leave.

Thankfully, getting expelled from our boss’ party doesn’t stop us from immediately ringing the doorbell and getting let back in. Sims are dumb.

We steal his chair and bathtub, but only once we try feeding ourselves does he kick us out. Naturally, we let ourselves back in.

…yeah we’re probably gonna try and marry this dude. We talk him into letting us sleep over.

Day 13: friendship has been cultivated.

We invite him over to our place to sample our signature dish.

Ah well, work isn’t too far off anyway.

Perhaps, yes.

…okay, I’m not mad about getting arrested anymore.

Day 14. Our own bed never felt so good.

Work is largely spent chatting with co-workers, since we need to be friends with a few of them for the next promotion.

Daniella decides she’d like to go to the graveyard, and ends up having a water balloon fight with a dead girl. An auspicious start to Day 15.

…an inauspicious continuation of Day 15.

Not rain, nor sleet, nor hail, nor snow will keep us from our cardio.

Hell, not even work will stand in our way, though I have to wonder what kind of illicit activity she’s practicing. And while I didn’t get a screenshot of it, we did land yet another promotion! :toot:

And on day 16, things are looking better and better. We’ve got a good job, a future mate in our sights, and all the snow in the world! But let’s flash back a few days.

One more day and Daniella will be a Young Adult no longer. She must flee from the forces of aging and claim one last youthful hurrah in the form of an international vacation. Will she go to:

Shang Simla, China, home of karate and general oriental sights?

Champs Le Sims, France, home of wine making and beautiful countrysides?

Or Al Simhara, Egypt, home of photography and mummies?

1 Like

Shang Simla. Gotta learn them martial arts for when the hero inevitably raids the HQ.

1 Like

Al Simhara, so Daniella can raid some tombs like the real high-end criminals do!

Champs Le Sims, because we need to class up the joint.

Shang Simla, learn the martial arts!

If you’re voting for Egypt just because of that, it should be stated that there are dungeons to be enjoyed in all three locations.

Champs Le Sims, because what’s more ‘modern criminal’ than looting expensive bottles of wine from hidden dungeons in abandoned wings of museums?

Also don’t fuck sinbad that guy can’t appreciate a good mermaid costume and won’t let Daniella eat, find yourself a nice frenchwoman to woo instead!

Champs Le Sims. who doesn’t want to see the sights and sounds of France?

Sinbad’s utter chumpness aside, you’ve made me think of something. I don’t want to shy away from same-sex relationships due to them being a “dead end” genetically. Would anyone be opposed to a same-sex pregnancy mod?

5 Likes

Normally I’d let the vote go on longer, but I’m in a Simming mood tonight. Champs Les Sims it is!

I misspelled it earlier

1 Like

Part 4: Un Cachot

By popular, if brief, demand, we’re going to France. Note that we get to stay for six days. By default we’d only get three days, but Prepared Traveller grants an additional three.

But yes, one of our priorities in Champs Les Sims is going to be find a lover so we won’t have to settle for Sinbad. It is the SimCity of Love, after all.

Even the game’s loading screen seems to agree!

After a couple of showy camera pans over the French landscape, we’re dumped at what the game calls base camp. It’s a communal house for vacationers, and quite frankly the least exciting locale on offer. We’ll be spending most of our time anywhere but here.

Let’s Play The Sims 3 and become a Master Thief OST - Foreign Country - The Adventure Board

Here’s where the action is! This is where we’ll pick up quests of a sort, more often than not involving some dungeon delving.

The first step is just a stone’s throw from base camp. The questgiver happens to be the owner of a local shop.

Go ruins, get thing. We get some food and earn some sweet, sweet Visa points. Get enough Visa points in a foreign country and you’ll raise your Visa level with that country, enabling you to stay longer and purchase certain items.

We also learn a local song! These count as romantic interactions, and every once in a while your Sim will just up and sing it, which is very cute when it happens. I have no idea why that video is a full minute.

And before anyone asks, you can’t romance the shopkeeper. Sorry!

We buy a few more very needful items, then pop back to base camp for a much needed wardrobe change.

RIP Sinbad’s truck, you will be missed.

With the game incessantly telling us about other people’s love lives, we arrive at our destination: a hole.

It’s an interesting hole.

First on the agenda: loot! Good for selling, generally speaking. Daniella will never forget the treasures of this ruin.

I shudder to think that there are people out there who actually need this concept explained.

Clearing the rubble is good exercise, and it reveals a suspicious wall too!

Fingering the stonework causes the wall to spin open in an animation I failed to capture very well.

Thanks for the tutorial but no thanks, game.

The WA dungeons may be more interactive than anything in the base game, but they’re not really difficult.

Destroying more rubble uncovers a bag of simoleons, and Daniella thinks “oh wow, I’m in a dungeon”.

These holes in the wall usually contain one of two things: treasure or progress.

Daniella would’ve preferred treasure.

tink, tink

A heart-shaped thingo!

We also find a relic. Relics have an initial value and can then be appraised, which will often produce a value either higher or lower than the original value. It’s kinda dumb.

While opening another secret door, a pile of coins catches our eye. They’re Ancient Coins, and eventually we’ll be able to trade them in for some stuff I’ve never really dabbled in.

Frankly I find this room far better.

Heart-shaped thing goes in heart-shaped hole, and progress is achieved. No points for guessing that one.

This is your standard push-pull puzzle.

In the next room, putting a statue on a pad reveals a pad we have to stand on to open the staircase. Can’t help but feel like this is padding.

Yikes, that is a whole lot of dungeon.

Ordinarily I’d push my Sim to complete the dungeon as I don’t usually pick up Prepared Traveler, but we’ve got time to spare.

It’s almost comforting to know that Daniella’s cooking is an international constant.

Aaaaaaand I could’ve used the tent down here instead of shunting her back to base camp. Drat.

In the tent chamber, we do a little shopping at Hole Foods.

This whole maze thing falls kinda flat when it’s just a matter of waiting for your Sim to pathfind.

We’re never selling this, I hope you know.

Man, world travel really pays for itself.

We take advantage of the sheer scale of this here maze room to get our jog on.

Jesus.

jog jog jog

ok you can stop now

All right so here’s some shit: we reach the final room with our objective, which happens to be that lady’s favorite baseball inside that shiny hole, cool, good, who cares. More importantly,

Can we talk about your game straight up LYING to me, Maxis? Like what the fuck?

Bullshit aside, we catch a nap in the tent and give ourselves a nice hot canned shower.

All in all, the dungeon was kind of a lot of rigamarole. But hey, it was entertaining and we made several thousand dollars!

Next time: l’amour.

2 Likes

So showers in a can are one use, are tents? Or can you pick them back up afterwards?

Also holy shit that’s some mad cash.