Let's destroy one last ancient civilization in UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END

Honestly? I think they explode out of pure, unadulterated spite.

1 Like

No no game. You do not even joke about Elena dying. No. Stop it.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a pyrate ghost manning each and every booby trap, ready to set them off at the moment they find the most humorous.

Ironicusā€™ love of love is extremely heartwarming.

5 Likes

Mummies that explode whenever they please counts as supernatural, right?

So how did Avery not get blown up by his own mummies? Magic trap building powers?

Also, I really need to get a PS4 one of these days.

I didnā€™t think the part would end well after starting off with dead Guybrush, but that last scene was adorable.

Itā€™s something that never actually got me mad, but the unexplainable workings of the stuff these lairs had that Drake explores always kind of bugged me. He pulls a handle, puts buckets of water on panels or something and a huge stone wall slides sideways out of the way. Cā€™mon man, that junkā€™s like 400 years old. I guess it bugs me cause the game is very realistic in most spots.

aaaaaaa this is so heartwarming I love it, this is probably my second fav part after Ep3, the callback to the Crash level leading into them making up is really nice thematically

Also the whole Descent area feels very Uncharted 1 to me?

I assume thereā€™s one path which didnā€™t have the exploding mummies, and just had the easily-avoidable tile traps. Itā€™s also the path which caved in, because the universe hates Nathan Drake.

The only thing that bugged me about it is that this game also had a set piece thatā€™s a trap thatā€™s fallen apart over time. It was neat to see the ridiculous inner workings, but, really, either hand wave it or donā€™t.

Stuffed with black powder that ignites from the torch Nate/s carrying around maybe? Then again they go off even when Nate doesnā€™t have the torch, hmm.

I guess weā€™ve found the gameā€™s supernatural element!

I thought the bit of Uncharted 3 with the French chateau/castle was really neat because I love that decayed opulence aesthetic so all of the New Devon parts in this game were just a feast for the eyes.

Iā€™m way behind (only on episode 14, the big Madagascar chase scene) but I just want to say how much that setpiece reminds me of the similar one-camera-shot chase scene in The Adventures of Tintin, because technically the Madagascar chase follows the same rules ā€“ there isnā€™t a single cut between when Nate and Sully leave the clock tower and the very end when Sam and Nate drive off.

Which then made me realize that The Adventures of Tintin is probably the closest weā€™re going to get to a decent Uncharted movie. Besides the obvious, and those donā€™t count because they were the inspiration :V.

4 Likes

Oh man, the Adventures of Tintin. What an amazing film, really need to give that a watch again.

Also uh I just watched the scene in question for the first time since discovering Uncharted and

Yeahhhhhā€¦ that might be the most Uncharted thing in the history of Cinema.

2 Likes

So Chip, how tempting was it to cut the video before Elena revealed her joke and they had their ā€œgood talk?ā€ Just leave a nice, soul-wrenching cliff hanger at the end of the episode.

Also itā€™s a pretty minor detail, but I appreciated how Nateā€™s first assumption when hearing the explosions in the distance was that it was just Shoreline going hog-wild with dynamite. After seeing that exact behavior for most of the game itā€™s a perfectly reasonable explanation, which helps set up the exploding mummies as an actual surprise for the player.

No one is that cruel.

1 Like

Aw, look! Nate and Elena are happy again! Sure, they havenā€™t actually resolved any of their problems and are just coasting off an enormous amount of adrenaline and near-death experiences, but weā€™ll ignore that and pretend like everythingā€™s OK!

1 Like

Those advanced pirate engineers invented a primitive motion detector, itā€™s made out of a coconut.

What if Averyā€™s plan was to entrap the feuding pirates in hug-traps in order for them to hug out their disagreements and therefore end the conflict, only for Tew to misinterpret an order and poison everyone, thus ruining everything?

Unless the game outright contradicts this, Iā€™m going to believe itā€™s true.