Let's destroy one last ancient civilization in UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END

However many years on since MGS2 and you guys are still my favorite LPers. Been enjoying this and really everything since.

1 Like

Thereā€™s really not a need for the supernatural in this game. Unchartedā€™s always used spooky stuff in a similar way to Indiana Jones: itā€™s the crux by which the protagonist become a better person. Rational Academic Indiana Jones submits to a higher power beyond his grasp, Professional Thief Nathan Drake discovers his humanist conscience because his ā€œsupernaturalā€ is always just the undiscovered biochemical, and the risk of its use for evil has to be stopped. Itā€™s the means by which the moral is delivered.

Nateā€™s already had his moment of clarity and moral turn when Elena came back. Itā€™s annoyingly muddled by how the game handles the Alcazar reveal, but weā€™re still past the point where the supernatural would be relevant, other than to tick off some boxes.

I think that doesnā€™t muddle it even a bitā€¦the revelation that Sam, about whom Nathan lied to his wife so he could do what he wanted without admitting his unreformed thirst for achievement, was in fact lying to his brother so that Sam could do what he wanted without admitting his unreformed thirst for achievement was a BEAUTIFUL way of drilling home what appears to the be message of the narrative.

It was the best part of the game that doesnā€™t involve something old and enormous crumbling around you while you jump from debris to debris going ā€œNo no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO!ā€

5 Likes

Part of me sort of feels like if thereā€™s not a supernatural element itā€™s because the more complicated environments take up more space gameplay wise. Part of the fun of the zombie Nazis or whatever is switching up combat encounters once youā€™ve gotten bored of the normal mooks and giving some variety, but here it seems like thereā€™s a lot to be said for just making the arenas more complicated and having many different approaches for handling them.

At least thatā€™s what it seems like from watching all the C&I LPs, Iā€™ve not played the single player campaigns of the uncharteds.

Personally I think a lack of supernatural stuff would fit in really well with the themes of this game. The thing that ruins the most lives isnā€™t some cursed magical whatsit, itā€™s just plain ordinary people being greedy and duplicitous.

3 Likes

That really should be Nateā€™s reaction to everything.

1 Like

Rotting societies value peculiarities, resultant strangeness vaccinates pallidness. Really, some vampiresā€™d placate.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m just a grump but Iā€™m getting a little tired of the Nate-grabs-thing-but-thing-breaks shtick. You know, the little dramatic irony moments of Drake failing to do something like an action hero? I really, really like it when used sparingly but there seems to be one in about every video now.

By the way, itā€™s obviously inspired by Indiana Jones so, as the fourth installment, that means no mysticism, just aliens.

7 Likes

I agree, any supernatural elements are extraneous to this game. But on the other hand, they also were to the previous games?

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always found weird with the Uncharted stories, that at the end the culmination of themes and pressures put upon the characters are resolved by a past supernatural element which makes everything collapse and allows for a wrap-up in a satisfying way, but they were never strictly necessary. In that same manner, I donā€™t exactly want a supernatural element here, but Iā€™ve been so conditioned to expect one at the end of the third act that I find it hard to convince myself otherwise.

It canā€™t be, he got married after all, so someone had to teach him to say something else somewhere along the way.

ā€œDo you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?ā€
ā€œNo no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO YES.ā€

8 Likes

We see the good wedding photos, but none of the pictures of the volcano erupting came out well.

2 Likes

My friends and I had zero expectation of a supernatural element playing through the first game, and suddenly these terrifying creatures appear and I, being an enjoyer of the horror genre, was giggling like an idiot as my friend playing through it was just screaming and running around yelling, ā€œI didnā€™t sign up for this!ā€

That part of our playthrough was extremely memorable for us, so thatā€™s why I tend to enjoy that sudden element in this seriesā€¦ Although, being a fan of this game receiving The Last of Us treatment and having more character moments, I agree the game could wrap up nicely without it.

Iā€™ve really enjoyed the Uncharted series and Watchdogs LPs youā€™ve done, and this is no exception. Though it is the first Uncharted lp Iā€™m watching as it is being posted, so waiting for the story to continue is grueling!

Im very impressed with how pretty everything is, it looks soo good, the dynamic lighting is amazing! And I impressed with how dedicated theyā€™ve been to having -every part- of the Libertania story be a metaphor to Nateā€™s story, and his relationships.

Not sure what the always perfect rollable crates are a metaphor for thoughā€¦

Iā€™m sorry, Jeff, but youā€™re not macho, and youā€™re DEFINITELY not nacho.

Episode 23: Macho Nachoā€¦Cut Commentary

6 Likes

Gotta say, the dungeon this paranoid thief has built does an excellent job of making the graverobber into an equally paranoid thief. Good thematic resonance there, Avery. Youā€™ve got a future in game design.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if Chip has done this on Crushing difficulty but this room might be the hardest part of the game. So many circling enemies and the big one you almost have to work out a strategy as you keep dying.

The heels, that DIDNā€™T.

I love me some crazy pirate caves.

Man, Avery must have had a lot of time on his hands to make all those mummy bombs and bone mobiles and traps. Pyrate engineers are really something else.

Guybrush, nooo!

How do the mummy bombs even work anyway?