Just Set It to Easy: The Casual LP Thread

Hyrule Warriors

It’s the penultimate part of the LP, and well, we found her.

Hyrule Warriors

Hyrule Warriors ends in a confusing scramble and weirdly abrupt conclusion. It couldn’t have gone any other way.

Let’s Play Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard

Another case has come across Frog Detective’s desk, and as the Baker Street Irregulars to our amphibian friend, it’s up to Jay and I to help solve this mystery! The Case of the Invisible Wizard takes us into the heart of Warlock Woods, where a parade was to be held in honor of their newest resident. However, as the date approached, someone sabotaged the parade and sent the entire town into disarray! Now it’s up to Frog Detective and us to figure out who did it, why, and whether or not there’s enough time to salvage the festivities!

2 Likes

hello wizord

It’s Pikachu! Adorable! Interactable! Half-baked and barely works!
Hey You, Pikachu! is one of the many Pokemon spin-off games on the Nintendo 64 and a beloved remnant of many a childhood in spite of itself. Utilizing voice recognition technology and a twig of a microphone, you talk to Pikachu to do “fun” “activities” with them or yell in impotent fury when they ignore you while daylight is ending. The technology is somewhat impressive for its time, but Siri/Alexa/Google/etc this is not.
So join me and Mugiwara Yoshi as we try desperately to get Pikachu to hit the damn piñata and eat the damn popcorn.

(Thanks for the gif, Leal!)

Part 1: Chutorials
Part 2: Mamachu
Part 3: Wet Chu Friends
Part 4: Chu on Every Plant
Part 5: Beachu Bum
Part 6: Daringchu
Part 7: Piratechu
Part 8: Pikachu Decided This is the End of the LP
Part 9: Sharkchu Speedrunner
Part 10 END: Go Away, Pikachu!

Fanart

(By BrennaOkazaki)

1 Like

Part 2: Mamachu
Now that we’re friends with Pikachu, we have to help them with their babysitting.

Part 3: Wet Chu Friends
Pikachu lives with us now, so it’s time for more freedom of movement and a lot of water.

Part 4: Chu on Every Plant

Eat the damn popcorn! Stop eating everything except the popcorn!

Part 5: Beachu Bum

At last, I succeed at something and new things happen! Just in time for a minor hiatus.

Part 6: Daringchu

Okay that was more of a major hiatus, but we’re back for the second half of Hey You, Pikachu! and what amounts to the boss: Abra’s shop.

Also, in case you didn’t see it, BrennaOkazaki drew an amazing piece of sleepy Pikachu fanart! She also drew another piece of fanart for Part 8, which I’ll post when that goes up next week.

1 Like

Part 7: Piratechu

Pikachu can maybe fire a cannon but they can’t dance on command.

Let’s Check Out Hidden My Game By Mom Clones

A video essay is in many ways like a Let’s Play! And also this is my thread so I make the rules!!!
The Google Play Store is filled with intrusive ads, sinister microtransaction models, and worst of all, rip-offs of more popular games. As someone who spends more time on the storefront than the average consumer, I decided to take a look at a number of games that take inspiration from one of my favorite series, Hidden My Game By Mom. I wanted to see how these titles stacked up against the original, what they did to distinguish themselves from the original, and to find out if any of them are fun!

4 Likes

Hey You Pikachu!

Part 8: Pikachu Decided This is the End of the LP

It isn’t actually the end of the LP, but it might as well be.

Thanks again to Brenna for some great fanart! (linked as it’s a slightly gorey spoiler)

Jotun

Ripping off what chorps and Jay do, here’s an indie game one-off I did. Jotun is a very pretty game about being a dead viking who must slay giants to impress the gods, but you’ll spend most of your time exploring the unique environments.

2 Likes

Hey You, Pikachu!

Part 9: Sharkchu Speedrunner

We found a speedrun guide for the game, so it’s time to run through the minutiae we never would have guessed we’d have to do to unlock the endgame.

Part 10 END: Go Away, Pikachu!

I’d feel worse if you weren’t the worst, Pikachu.

That’s all for HYP, so next time we get the chance to all stream together, we’ll be returning to the fertile nonsense well of Sonic with Sonic Heroes!

Melty Buds: Shaq Fu

Back when sports celebrity was all the rage, Shaquille O’Neal was a stand-out athlete, full of charm and charisma. Not only did he start a moderately successful hip-hop career on the side, he also got a video game to his name released on all of the contemporary consoles! Shaq Fu is a one-on-one fighting game with a lot of attitude and a very strange development story, which Jay, FutureFriend and I explore while also finding out which one of us truly belongs on the court with the champs! It’s time to get competitive!

1 Like

Let’s Check Out Yu Yu Hakusho: Dark Tournament Rumble

Before the likes of Mushiking and King of Dinosaurs took over arcades with their collectible card systems, Bandai produced the DATACH add-on for the Famicom. Gamers were meant to go out to stores and buy booster packs to collect cards compatible with select Bandai games, then swipe them through the DATACH to collect new characters and moves. One of these games was Yu Yu Hakusho: Dark Tournament Rumble, a late-era NES title that, despite the limitations of the console, was able to fit a lot of character and flavor into its cartridge. Each character has a decently sized set of super moves that fit right in with the character, and each of them have simple but thematic commands to use them. The sprites are very simple but also charming, and the breadth of characters and design seems unheard of for a game of its era. So let’s check out the game and see what makes it so special!

3 Likes

jinglereviewthumb
Let’s Review Jingle Cats: Ai to Yuujou no Neko Monogatari. ~Love Para Daisakusen no Maki~

In 1992, the first single by the Jingle Cats, “Jingle Bells”, was released to radio stations nationwide and became an overnight sensation. In 1993, their first album, Meowy Christmas, was released to rave reviews, and quickly climbed to the top of the charts for its kitschy aesthetic and joyous playful attitude. The success of the Jingle Cats would soon make it overseas, where Sony Japan eventually grabbed the rights and created a PlayStation game based on the novelty act. One part pet sim and one part music video theater, Jingle Cats: Ai to Yuujou no Neko Monogatari. ~Love Para Daisakusen no Maki~ takes the Jingle Cats and turns them into certifiable mascots, each with their own personality and relationships to the other cats. This game captures a real spark of joy and charm that you might not expect out of a licensed title, particularly one based off on an idea so straight-forward. But Jingle Cats for the PlayStation goes above and beyond in creating an experience that while mechanically simplistic is full of character and detail. Let’s explore it together!

And when you’re finished, check out the full song and cutscene video I put together as well!

Meowy Christmas, everyone!

3 Likes

Welcome back, casual gamers!

Urban Yeti! is a North American-exclusive action game released in 2002 for the Game Boy Advance by Cave + Barn Studios. Sold directly through mail and online orders through the developers, the game puts the player in the shoes of the titular Urban Yeti, a creature living in hiding amongst the humans of a bustling city, desperate for love and belonging. One day, while out on a stroll, he hears the call of a single female yeti, his chance to turn things around in life. Urban Yeti will do whatever it takes to prove he’s a suitable mate, and it’ll take all his cunning if he wants to find the girl of his dreams.

Cave + Barn was an odd developer, mostly known for their work on licensed titles. Their major original project before this, an FMV title called Duelin’ Firemen!, would never see the light of day, but displayed their interests as a game company in creating experimental and unconventional interactive experiences. Urban Yeti! would be the only original title the studio would release, but it spoke to their philosophy through its odd humor and eclectic gameplay. Urban Yeti!’s early GTA-style open world is really a hub for conflicting AIs to cause havoc while you navigate into awkward but charming minigames, which all help to push its strange story forward. The focus is definitely on its humor rather than truly coherent gameplay, but it finds a balance where the actual game is competent enough to enjoy.

I, ChorpSaway, and my friends TheJayOfSpade, Taoc and FutureFriend will be taking a journey through Urban Yeti! to marvel at what it is: a game unrestrained by things like marketability, that really speaks to a developer’s sense of expression.

If you’d like to know more about this game, I encourage you to check out this review from Bad Game Hall of Fame, which also does a deep dive into the history of Cave + Barn Studios and their other projects!

3 Likes