Contrarian's Catharsis: The Bad Video Game Opinion Thread

Yeah, my friends are scattered about the country so couch co-op typically only leads to disappointment from missing out on cool games.

Jake’s campaign is my favorite too if only because of the thing that happens during the credits of it OH MY GOSH Troy Baker and cheesy power ballads, the PUNCHING, and the fact someone thought it’d be a good idea to bring back Sherry-freaking-Berkin as a main character. And Leon’s campaign is great IMO because no one can consistently pronounce Helena’s name.

1 Like

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I had fun with Leon’s campaign, I just… don’t remember much of it :V It was an experience that happened but it kinda got overshadowed by THAT SICK ASS MOTORCYCLE SECTION IN JAKE’S CAMPAIGN HOLY HELL!

1 Like

I liked Dead Island. Played it Co-op with a friend and it was a trainwreck of glitches and a absolutely horrible main plot but we enjoyed it enough to go through the whole thing and insta kill the last boss due to how the game handles ragdoll attacks.

1 Like

FF12 certainly had the best soundtrack of the entire series and the best narrator.

Oh man, people besides me actually like RE6? I’m not alone!

I also like Resident Evil 6, but it’s more of a guilty pleasure for me. The combat system to me was really awesome like a character action game, but I hated a lot of the levels themselves particularly in Chris’s campaign. Agreed to Jake’s campaign being the best though.

Speaking of guilty pleasure games, I really like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for it’s actual action stages and never cared for the Chao Garden minigame. I’m fully aware that the game has cluncky controls, awful camera, awkward physics, glitchy levels, boring bosses, and a Bullshit score system (seriously the Tails/Eggman stages are a nightmare to A rank). But I feel like there is some good level design that makes sense to me, it’s probably because I’m I got good from playing it so much more than anything.

I hate child units in fire emblem, they practically force you into hours of grinding in order to produce a good unit, hell I hate how grind heavy fire emblems become overall which is probably why I thought conquest kicked ass while revelations and birthright were mediocre. also fuck hoshido that place is full of assholes.

I’ve seen at least one video that vehemently defends RE6, I think it was The Gaming Brit Show or something. I haven’t played it, but watching that video made me want to, for the reasons @Canth points out: fun third-person shooter gameplay with a goofy and entertaining plot.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty much on the same page with RE6. It’s super dumb, and that’s what makes it entertaining. And the gameplay works well enough that (barring one or two exceptions) it doesn’t really get in the way of my enjoyment.

1 Like

That’s the whole thing to me, too. It’s like a B-Horror movie that got ridiculously over-budgeted. It’s so dumb, but in a genuine and endearing way. At least to me. I actually prefer it to RE5.

Wow. You’ll fit in fine here.

I liked Mirror’s Edge.

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy X-2 is fucking great.

1 Like

I liked x-2 way better then x man I wanted to just deck Tidus right in his dumb face that entire game.

Alright I got one, I don’t like pokemon red and blue, They have aged terribly and are barley even playable compared to later games in the series. Psychic was OP and barley had any weakness their was like one or two bug moves that would work. It’s just a mess of a game.

1 Like

See this shouldn’t even be that controversial. Red and Blue were fine for the time but looking back it is SUPER easy to tell that their coding is held together by duct tape and miracles. They’re really fun to romhack and break but as an experience, they have aged SO poorly.

I get sooo much flak every time i tell someone this! their all like “omg red and blue are sooo good” in fact i only personally know one other person who agrees their no longer fun to play.

Heck, Psychic was also supposed to be weak to Ghost types but due to a bug I think Ghosts ended up being either not very effective or just didn’t work on them. A lot of little things like that just because of the hardware they had to work with not supporting something of that size and complexity. Without any error checking, when something went wrong, a lot of things tended to go wrong.

2 Likes

Anyone who defends Pokemon Red and Blue now have to be talking completely from nostalgia. If anyone actually plays the Gameboy versions of Red and Blue these days, like actually plays all the way through themselves and not just jumping in to hang out in nostalgia for a bit, I’ll be shocked. (Okay, I know people speedrun them, but that’s different enough that I don’t think it reflects on the game’s quality.)

I get it if they’re playing Fire Red/Leaf Green or something and just referring to, I dunno, the idea of Gen 1 Pokemon, but there’s no way anyone could consider actual Red and Blue still good unless they haven’t actually played them the games were new.

4 Likes

I find it hilarious that the original two Pokemon games had a 6 year development time (Japanese Red & Green), which were so buggy they revised the engine which included redrawn sprites (Japanese Blue, whose engine was used as basis for Western Red & Blue), and the supposed bug-fixed engine was still a freaking buggy mess.

At least we were spared the ugly sins that were the original Red & Green Pokemon sprites.

Final Fantasy X-2 is actually my second favorite FF game. It’s such a good change of pace from all the melodrama. Not to mention Yuna as the main character :allears:

1 Like

I really liked the first area in Dead Island, but lost interest once you left the beach.

As for me - I hated FF13, but loved FF13-2. Dumb time travel shenanigans AND a selection of monster buddies!

My favourite FF is still FF12 though, because it’s like an MMO with no other players, or in other words “the perfect MMO”.

1 Like