Contrarian's Catharsis: The Bad Video Game Opinion Thread

Both FFX-2 and Lightning Returns: FFXIII are very good and there should be more Final Fantasy games centered around fashion battles.

4 Likes

Only thing Iā€™ve liked in recent FF games.

Heavy Rain is bad. itā€™s just an insane mess where everyone is crazy and no sane human beings are to be found. I have no idea how it got popular. David Cage just consistently puts out insane bullshit itā€™s kind of amazing.

2 Likes

I have a theory that video games as a medium automatically deliver a huge amount of investment that can carry a weak story or characters. Thatā€™s why people love Heavy Rain or Her Story - they feel like a participant, not an observer, and that colours their perception.

In other words, videogames are Art, but itā€™s that weird kind of dadaist art that ends up with Tracy Emin claiming her unmade bed is art. (And it is, I just donā€™t think itā€™s very good art.)

2 Likes

Not to try and change your opinion, but man just compare it to its contemporaries or even half life one. Before hl2 was released, there was an amazing tech demo where they showed of the source engine and it was truly impressive - none of us had seen ANYTHING like it.

It had barrels bouncing down a pegged wall, it had a mattress floating on the water and deforming with the surface, it had a camera which displayed real time on a monitor, god what else.

I see your point, playing it now is playing it in a different context than I did.

Just listen to the reactions of the viewers https://youtu.be/zHH5L39YtDE

On optimistic days, this is why I think Valve hasnā€™t made a new Half Life yet. They donā€™t want to do it until they can really revolutionize the genre again.

Most of the time Iā€™m basically just of the opinion that Steam is too popular and theyā€™ve decided to never make games again.

4 Likes

Bayonetta 2 wasnā€™t as good as the first oneā€¦

Its contemporaries include Unreal Tournament 2003, which contemporary me would say has a better single player campaign.

Of all the Mario RPGs, the original SNES one is my least favorite. Iā€™d argue itā€™s even just clunky and bad mechanically. Itā€™s action commands are far too vague to get reliably. All the other ones are good. The Paper Mario sequels that arenā€™t exactly like the original are great, and all the Mario & Luigi RPGs are genuinely fantastic.

1 Like

Ouch harsh :slight_smile:

Overwatch, and to a lesser extent, TF2 are games that I want to like, but I just cannot. Every update seems more and more set to cater to the hardcore esports crowd that people who donā€™t get to play so often, like me, get quickly left in the dust unless theyā€™re hard tracking each and every change to the metagame. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever found a game where it feels worse to lose than Overwatch.

3 Likes

You must never have played a moba. Those games are 100% resentful suffering.

7 Likes

I donā€™t play mobas because of the reason I listed for Overwatch. I just feel itā€™s a little less of an unpopular opinion to say ā€œmobas are shitā€

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, the only moba that has ever caught my attention and kept me around and felt fun to me was Heroes of the Storm. And a lot of hardcore moba fans say itā€™s ā€œtoo casualā€ which might have something to do with me not hating it. I tend to hate cooperative games that force you to fucking fight with your own team because thereā€™s not a good way to divide loot and experience.

Also if you want to enjoy Overwatch without feeling pressure, Iā€™ve found that the Arcade mode is the best for that. Quick Play has pretty much become ā€œTraining for Competitiveā€ and Competitive is Competitive.

Overwatch, to me, is like a fighting game. I can enjoy it in two ways: watching high-level play and enjoying the characters and larger world it built. Overwatchā€™s high level play is mildly interesting to watch, but Iā€™m not a huge fan. Its characters and lore are awful. Theyā€™re just soā€¦ boring, for a lack of a better word. Itā€™s astounding how amazingly boring the characters are.

It doesnā€™t help that the characters that are the de-facto face of the game, Tracer and, to a lesser degree, Winston are the worst characters of the bunch

I enjoy Overwatch but I burn out on it quickly because Iā€™m only okay at it and losing more than one match in a row is just demoralizing. Iā€™ve barely played competitive mode because I know how frustrated Iā€™d get, so I guess it has limited appeal to me.

I actually havenā€™t tried Arcade Mode, though, and ā€œjust have some funā€ Overwatch does sound pretty good.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s out yet, but I know at least in PTR theyā€™re also allowing people to tinker around and make their own custom game modes as well. Arcade Mode is basically ā€œhereā€™s 3v3s, 1v1s, Mystery Heroes, No Limits, and Random Brawlsā€ where it just picks a brawl from a list. Itā€™s also what they use for special brawls during seasonal events.

Iā€™m pretty sure some people have made dodgeball modes with Junkrat and stuff like that so custom games should be fun to play about with.

I played Assassinā€™s Creed: Unity after the bugs had all been patched out, and I thought it was pretty good. A lot better than AC3. (Nowhere near as good as AC:Syndicate, though, which took the new engine and made it sing.)

Despite my impatience for Ubisoft open worlds, I do have a soft spot for Assassinā€™s Creed. I liked Syndicate well enough, but I never finished itā€“I ended up taking over every district for my gang and getting far enough to do the cool WWI flash-forward mission and then just burned out. I should probably try Unity, if for no other reason than it looks really pretty and I want to climb around on the Notre Dame Cathedral.

The first AC game I played was AC4, which I had a great time with, and then I went back and binged through AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations. Iā€™ve been meaning to replay 2 or Brotherhood, actually. I really liked those.