Contrarian's Catharsis: The Bad Video Game Opinion Thread

I was active on Playtonic’s Official Yooka-Laylee forums for a few months after the Kickstarter and a large portion of people seemed to greatly prefer Banjo-Kazooie. Then again, these are the same people who throw a fit any time Yooka-Laylee proves to not be nearly identical to the BK games.

Speaking of dumb idiot babies and kickstarters, I actually quite like Mighty No 9. It’s not perfect, no, but it’s exactly the quality of game I expected and paid for. It had a ton of development problems and I super disagree with a lot of the decisions they did (mostly with regards to Red Ash being a thing, making a Mighty anime, voice acting) but for the most part it’s basically exactly the game I thought it’d be.

I think more people think banjo kazooie was better, heck I’m one of them but growing up my childhood friend preferred banjo-tooie we still have mock arguments about it to this day it’s great.

With regards to Martin:

3 Likes

man those were some good LPs, i should go reread them sometime.

1 Like

See, I’m kind of torn on whether I agree with you or not on the Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie point. Tooie has some interesting changes, but most of Banjo’s solo powers are lame and the soundtrack really suffers. I’m definitely a way bigger fan of the original’s music if nothing else.

Sunshine was a good game, no arguments there… Let me see, what controversial opinions of my own do I have to share.

Oh, Final Fantasy VIII was a good game. And I’ve actually played and enjoyed Toontown Rewritten for many hours now, because multiplayer turn-based RPG combat in an MMO is rare, to say the least. (Basically just TTR and NEStalgia, another fine game.)

1 Like

The Sims 3 is good.

1 Like

This is just stating facts.

Every Front Mission game, with the sole exception of Front Mission 3, is boringly mediocre.

Don’t get me wrong, Sims 3 is also an awful trainwreck.

I’m only saying this as a “bad video game opinion” because I got a lot of flack for it, but Resident Evil 0 is massive, irredeemable garbage that’s badly designed and the worst numbered RE game. I’d rather play Gaiden and Survivor than RE0 again.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, my gay vampire-alien son disagrees with you, and he’s a doctor!

So y’know how the stage professions in Showtime have their own unique performance music? At one point my Sim, who was a new father, was an acrobat, and the game decided that his toddler should be the sound source for said music. At all times.

The toddler was emanating circus music so loudly that I had to buy a mansion so I could put it far enough away to not be heard.

5 Likes

Resident evil 0 was awful the only thing I liked about it was Rebecca my goofy sidekick from resident evil 1 was in it.

I still think that Majora’s Mask is a better game than Ocarina of Time.

6 Likes
  • Skyrim is bland and bad, a massive open world squandered on ten thousand caves full of spectacularly bad combat. And if you say ‘but mods’ I will say 1) no, 2) I play on console because I don’t want my dinosaur of a computer to die, and 3) I don’t want to spend sixty dollars on vanilla ice cream on the premise that later some noble philanthropist will come along in their spare time and give me free chocolate syrup and sprinkles.

• Final Fantasy VII is really kind of forgettable? I played through it once and remember exactly none of it.

• Final Fantasy XII is the best Final Fantasy.

• Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is a good game, and I love hearing the phrase “courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.”

• Dee’s Big Night is the greatest video game ever made.

1 Like

Omg dawn of the new world was soo good! the protagonist had this cool split personality thing going on and the combat was way better. I was stunned when I heard people didn’t like it.

1 Like

Just sorta randomly going down the list:

• Pretty much all Bethesda games are objectively bad and are filled with supremely inept writing/worldbuilding.

• Dark Souls to me is the shell of an incredibly good game and has some superb elements to it, but it’s definitely not the masterpiece a lot of people laud it as, and is, in fact, actually pretty damn flawed in a lot of aspects.

• I can’t really stand Pokemon or any JRPG for that matter. I feel like they are made to be as tedious as possible. Pretty much everything from the random encounters to the party management just totally bores me.

• Bioshock 1 strikes me as not very fun or satisfying. I respect its atmosphere and all, but the gunplay has no “punch” to it, and all the different plasmids feel the same. Bioshock Infinite is kind of unique in that it actually somehow feels even more boring than 1 to me.

• In a very similar vein, Borderlands is pretty boring to me as well. The gunplay feels weak, and all the different guns you can get all feel the exact same.

• The Binding of Isaac is a really cheap and kinda poorly designed game wrapped in an admittedly fun and addictive gameplay loop.

• LISA is…kinda mediocre to me? Man, like I hate to say that because there’s a lot that I like about it, but then there’s a lot I just don’t at the same time. Some of the atmosphere is superb and there’s plenty of awesome moments in it, but the whole thing feels like a hastily put-together early draft. The pacing feels really weird at parts, the quality of the sprite work is super inconsistent, and the world design feels lifeless and bland.

I still think Majora’s Mask is the only good Nintendo-made Zelda and that the best Zeldalikes are made by companies that aren’t Nintendo.

Majora’s Mask also happened to not be directed by the guy who’d go on to direct Wii Music and Star Fox Zero. I’m saying Shigeru Miyamoto is a hack, in case it wasn’t clear.

1 Like

Resident Evil 6 is one of my favorite games of all time and I think it’s got the best gameplay (And one of the funniest plots) in the series.

The Zeno Clash games are hot garbage to play but I find their plot to be one of the most unintentionally funny things I’ve ever seen. Furries are weeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiird you guys, send them to Australia until science advances enough to make them less weird!

I pretty much write off co-op games the moment I see the words “Couch co-op” because I assume it to mean that no matter what the devs say about planning for online multiplayer, it’s probably not going to ever have it.

Guild Wars 2 is bad on both its own merits (Its combat is a weirdly paced mess where it feels like everyone’s wielding a pool noodle or squirt gun as a weapon) and an incredibly poor sequel to Guild Wars from both a plot and gameplay standpoint.

Mass Effect 3 was really fun to play and I didn’t mind the ending very much because I always viewed the plots as an unintentional melodramatic comedy and the different colored buttons was pretty much the icing on the cake for me. I’m really looking forward to Andromeda, in that regard.

Baldur’s Gate 2 especially and most infinity engine games I find exceedingly tedious and terrible to play, and Baldur’s Gate 2 has some of the worst writing in Bioware’s repetoire.

Dying Light is poorly designed and only manages to be fun with a big DESPITE ITS MANY FLAWS appended to it.

1 Like

THANK YOU! I thought I was crazy for not being super into couch co-op. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love some games that only have local co-op and some of them end up having online multiplayer. But man, I want to be able to play with my girlfriend and she’s around 700 miles away from me. It really breaks my heart when a super fun game doesn’t have online multiplayer because we work so well as a team and have way more fun when we play together.

I also had a friend who hated Jake from RE6 but I thought he was really fun to play as because I could punch the hell out of dudes. I honestly thought his campaign was the best of the three main ones because I don’t even remember Leon’s that much despite me loving the hell out of that guy, and Chris was just made into an edgy boy with amnesia despite him not really being that edgy before? I don’t mind it when characters are dark and moody but man it just felt weird seeing Chris act like a dick.

1 Like