Contrarian's Catharsis: The Bad Video Game Opinion Thread

Stop the thread. We’ve reached peak bad opinion and we need to contain me so I stop spreading.

Hating Life is Strange’s ending is not a bad opinion. But your claim that you know what the objectively right choice is. (Between only the options you have and not the actual right choice which is to Groundhog Day until you convince the town of idiots to get into their basements then choose Chloe and flick off the storm as it destroys the town but kills nobody.) So I’m intrigued. Indulge me. Bay or Bae?

This is a thread for bad opinions.

See previous comment.

Not a bad opinion.

And then I’m also nodding in agreement with pretty much every other poster and now I’m like, seriously, are these really unpopular opinions? Maybe I belong here.

Other M’s gameplay was really great.

I like ice levels.

1 Like

Let’s see:
The Souls series is good but I really don’t think they’re “masterpieces” like a lot of people make them seem.
Her Story is a trash story where the only interesting part is how the game plays.
I love Deadly Premonition for a lot of things but as a game it’s real damn bad game.

Bay. Chloe is lovely and great and also the entire universe wants her to die and keeping her alive causes a massive tornado to kill everyone and you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think more of that stuff is going to happen. That said, you’re right I shouldn’t of phrased that as an objective true statement, cause it’s not. You can totally let the town die if you want, it just seems like…a wrong thing to do in every sense of the word.[quote=“Jenner, post:61, topic:1596”]
Other M’s gameplay was really great.
[/quote]

It was! I like the story too, it just needed a rewrite after the gameplay was made, and a far better voice director.

Catherine was singlehandedly one of the most offensive games I’ve ever played and Atlus is a bad developer.

1 Like

I couldn’t play Alien: Isolation. The very first sneaking section, after collecting the code-breaking thing, was bizarre and tedious. I could not move into any position where I was not seen, and there is no hope of fighting back. Meeting the Alien involved doing a lot of running around fetching items, getting killed immediately, and then having to replay the fetching section over and over again. The game was a lot of doing busywork, dying in a way I could not fight back against or reasonably be prepared for, and loading a save from a while ago.

I love reading this thread. I’m always a fan of reading or hearing out those unpopular opinions as long as it doesn’t end with people at each other’s throats

• Dark Souls is an okay game. It’s not a bad or good game, just okay. I really disliked the slow and clunky combat and the uninteresting locations with awful gimmicks tied to a lot of them. I really loved Sen’s Fortress and Anor Londo though. Kind of a shame I didn’t like this game that much because I love Berserk. Anyone who says this game is a masterpiece is wrong

• The best Super Smash Bros. game is the WiiU one. Don’t get me wrong, I love Melee, but if I had a choice between the two it’s definitely the WiiU one. The big reason I think this is because of its variety. Both casually and competitively I’d much rather play or watch Smash WiiU because there’s just way more stuff.

• I’m a huge nerd who cares about the Metal Gear Solid story and so I don’t think MGS5 is all that great because it has the worst story out of all the games. Peace Walker is also a bad game with bosses that aren’t fun or interesting. I thought that tending to a base was annoying, so I barely payed attention to it.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is good. The slow text speed and limited Pokemon choice are not at all worth overlooking the story, characters, and great music the rest of the series is praised for.

Also pointing the 3DS camera at doorknobs and coffee mugs is a neat way to make dungeons.

But you can shoot dinosaurs with a shotgun. Game redeemed.

The Life is Strange thread had a lot of discussion, pages and pages about this and we all kind of drew our lines and I’m of the opinion that it’s not that the universe wants Chloe dead, but that Max used time travel. Chloe dying was just the consequence of the real solution to ending the storm, which is Max having never used her time travel powers. This doesn’t explain why she dreams about the oncoming storm before she ever uses her powers and triggers it though but that’s because Dontnod pulled the ending out of their ass to force the gambit for reasons that I could talk paragraphs about but this isn’t the thread for it. Max, just spitefully Groundhog Day it, you don’t age and have an eternity.

Oh shit um… a bad opinion hmm… I liked the side scrolling Legend of Zelda.

I enjoyed Crash, Spyro, and Sonic more than Mario when I was younger.
I don’t think Dark Souls 2 is that bad, even if it isn’t that great.
I also like Hearthstone more than Eternal because when I tried to get into Eternal I ran into a gauntlet of bullshit decks after completing the tutorial stuff. Plus I’ve always thought that the way damage is done in that and other card games where if you don’t take the minion out in one turn it heals is stupid.
Heroes of the Storm gets a bad rap for being “too casual” for a MOBA but I’ve had way more fun with it than I did with DotA2 years ago when friends tried to shove me into it.
Mario 64 set a standard for 3D platforming but going back to it, it feels pretty clunky and not as fun as some people make it out to be. But that might just be because of advancements we’ve made. Then again, I feel like Crash 2 and Crash 3 control better than Mario 64 so I dunno.

I do have an apparently bad opinion on a certain webcomic but that’s not really for this thread. I just disagree with the protagonist’s sense of morality and everybody just wants her to beat the ass of someone who did nothing wrong. So I guess my opinion is that I can’t stand characters everybody roots for when they throw a temper tantrum and cause a lot of collateral damage as the “hero” of the story.

TASTES: ACCEPTABLE. FURTHER EVOLUTION: NOT REQUIRED.

1 Like

god i love abathur. Oh and I guess another bad opinion is that I think Valeera didn’t need a buff. It might just be that my girlfriend has a potato laptop so she has to play on low settings and that means that Valeera’s shimmer is basically nonexistent and I hate it when Valeera bullies her.

1 Like

I’m seeing some opinions I agree, and others I’m baffled by. Not here to judge though, so I’ll get this off my chest. I hated Banjo Kazooie because of bad controls, camera, levels, bosses, and the humor wasn’t funny to me. The worst part to me was anytime the camera would locked into a fixed position and expected you search, fight, ext. Oh and all the timed minigames were tediously difficult, unfun, and often unfair.

That said, I loved Banjo Tooie.

Hey, I’ve seen one of my favorite games ever (not telling which) insulted at least twice in this thread, which is karma, I suppose.

The best Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and there hasn’t been a better game (not Final Fantasy game: game) than it ever made. The original Final Fantasy Tactics, however, is grindy bullshit that’s awful no matter how easy it is to break over your knee once you finally understand how it’s bullshit mechanics work.

2 Likes

Yeah this isn’t the place to get angry 'cause the point is that they’re all unpopular opinions. I didn’t see anyone point it out but in the case of Undertale’s thing with self-defense being bad, I think it gets a pass on that since it’s implied humans are far more resilient than monsters and with the whole determination thing, I think it’s kinda clear they aren’t that much of a threat to you.

Case in point: A human CHILD can take out the entire underground.

But all the other points I can totally see being a turn-off for some people.

Another bad opinion: I adore Teddy and his puns in Persona 4.

1 Like

Valeera is the woooooooooooooooooooooooooorst lmao

1 Like

Oh absolutely! I’m not angry at all, I’m pretty amused by it. Like, what did I think would happen, right?

1 Like

A place for my weird-ass game opinions? Nice.

• I like Silent Hill 1 the best out of the whole series.
  • I think RE4 and RE7 are the only good games in the series. I think 5 is better than 1 and 2.
  • I think MGR: Revengeance is the best Metal Gear game. I also like Twin Snakes better than vanilla 1.
  • I like Saints Row 2 the best of the whole series.
  • The 2009 Ghostbusters game is alright.
  • Castlevania 4 is the best in the series.
  • Battlefield 2 is the best in the series.
  • Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect.
  • None of the Elder Scrolls games are good, not even Morrowind.
  • Shenmue has always been really bad.
3 Likes

Man these are facts I’m pretty sure. I can’t actually see how people like Shenmue?

1 Like

I thought that was the general consensus? Or did I miss something when 4 came out?

1 Like

Sonic Unleashed is real heckin’ good

2 Likes