Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

Maaaaan that Venom Snake escape sequence was sick!

I think my favorite part about MGS V from what little I’ve seen of it is how versatile both the game and the player can be. Not only does the player have more weapons in their arsenal (with React Mode and the Helicopter providing more firepower than a normal Metal Gear player has), the game itself has so many different ways to react to that player’s playstyle. I just think it’s really cool!

1 Like

I just want an entire future episode all about a day in the life of Vapor Snake on motherbase and the messes he gets into.

3 Likes

Honestly in a lot of ways I prefer Ground Zeroes to the main game. The map is fantastic and it’s great playing a big boss in his prime without clinical depression and a jacked up face.

2 Likes

Boyyy I remember the first time I watched THAT cutscene. I had to get up and pace around for a little bit, and then I got dizzy so I had a nice lay on the floor for a while, just appreciating the nice clean carpeting.

I already knew I was pretty squeamish from all the times I’ve gotten blood drawn, but I never expected something in a game to get such a reaction out of me. The sound effects might be the worst part. I wonder what kind of Foley was involved?

2 Likes

Man I wonder what Vapor Snake was thinking through that whole scene? That’s an A+ way to harsh your buzz.

1 Like

“Arms and legs be damned! Cipher blew up my cat, and I am going to get revenge!” - Kazuhira Miller

2 Likes

Y’know, I can’t help but feel that Kaz and Snake got their scripts mixed up in this game, meaning that Kaz is the revenge-obsessed demon, and Snake is the guy who’s all like “You sure you don’t want to chill out a bit my dude?”

1 Like

I think that makes sense. Kaz has been stewing in this for nine years, so he’s built up quite a lot of lust for revenge. Meanwhile, Boss has been asleep, and is only now catching up.

Hell, I assume finding that Ocelot orchestrated your escape was a real shocker.

Well, he wakes up, falls out of bed, has a horn stuck in his head, finds his way downstairs and has a cup, looks up and notices he’s late, finds his guns and grabs his horse, makes the boat in seconds flat, makes his way upstairs and has a smoke, and then somebody sings and he goes into a dream…

1 Like

You know speaking of that dang horn, I have to applaud Snake for not like, touching it, at any point during this game so far. I don’t think my anxiety would be able to resist giving it a little poke now and then.

2 Likes

I’m picturing Big Boss and Venom going “that’s in my brain I shouldn’t poke it” while Ocelot had to slap Vapor’s hand away repeatedly during the boat trip because he wouldn’t stop fiddling with it.

5 Likes

Vapor Snake tries to find the ultimate high by yanking on his brain.

4 Likes

I love Ground Zeroes but I couldn’t go back to it after Phantom Pain because of all the improvements they made on how Venom Snake handles. I use M+KB and the biggest issue with GZ is that you can’t scroll through the interrogation options with M3 while you can in PP.

Even if you don’t play Metal Gear Survive (and there is genuinely no reason why you should) the opening movie (as seen in Danaru’s Let’s Play) is worth watching just for how it riffs on the ending of Ground Zeroes.

Blind viewers beware, the commentators mention MGSV plot stuff in that Survive LP.

1 Like

I generally love Ground Zeroes more than Phantom Pain overall for how good that one really well crafted level feels to play through over an open world, but man that Venom sequence reminded me exactly why.

My first run of GZ I tried to sneak through perfectly and restarted a few times early on for alerts, but by the time I’d picked up Paz I figured I’d gone too far to start over when I got caught and it ended up going basically the same way but with the AA still up. I think gunning my way back out of that base blaring with alarms to that good-ass alert music, chopper flying over tearing the place up and the enemy comms screaming with panic is one of the best feelings I’ve had in a Metal Gear.

I will say, the surgery scene was not… as bad as I remembered it being in my head? Like I remembered it being a lot worse. So that’s something.

Stiiiiill don’t know why it’s in the game in the first place if there’s just gonna be another bomb later in the same cutscene. Maybe Kojima was testing out some new engine for rendering guts when he was making Silent Hills and was like “hey, can we put in this game too?”

It’s the classic “you thought everything is ok but it’s actually not” fakeout.

Ack, mea culpa. Sorry, didn’t recall that.

I didn’t know about the easter egg with Paz and Chico because when I left him at the cave to get Paz I came back and the cave was surrounded by guards, so in future runs I’d always evacuate one before getting the other.