Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

I’ve been fortunate to avoid most MGSV spoilers–I know (vague spoiler) Huey does something awful and I’ve picked up that (even vaguer spoiler) something about Boss’s identity or perception of events isn’t what it seems, but otherwise, I’m going into Phantom Pain cold.

That said, I do know what you mean when you’re mean when you talk about next episode, and… Yeah. Hard yikes.

I mean bad decisions just tend to run in Otacon’s family so no surprise there

1 Like

You know, I’ve heard part of why they didn’t rehire David Hayer is because he mentioned his voice was wearing down. I don’t imagine this is actually true, but given the amount of actual talking Boss needs to DO in this game, I don’t see how that’d be a problem. Of course getting Sutherland to do the voice is probably why there’s also so little dialogue outside of the tapes, so who knows.

I can think of another reason why they wanted a different voice actor, but ultimately it was clearly a mistake. One of many. Also oh boy, the end of Ground Zeroes. I know this part!

John Cygan would’ve been a good replacement.

I love the format of this LP cause it’s like watching three contestants on a game show.

Here we see Venom Snake, Big Boss, and Vapor Snake respectively, en route to complete a mission. ezgif-5-a6bd81d531

15 Likes

“Interpreting is a difficult skill, so no, I can’t do it for you. Now go fire lazer beams from your holographic PDA to scan Russian documents and translate them automatically into an extremely accurate GPS location.”

I love how goofy these games are sometimes

4 Likes

The voice he put on for MGS4 couldn’t have done him good, in any case.

Hayter heard about MGSV as soon as the rest of us. He didn’t get a chance to try for the role. The long and short of it is that Kojima wanted Sutherland, and he’d wanted Sutherland for a while.

1 Like

In an earlier episode I mentioned that Hayter had to re-audition for the role back when MGS3 was in development. Apparently they straight up wanted to get Kurt Russel to voice him!

1 Like

Kojima’s star-obsession borders into David Cage territory sometimes

2 Likes

I disagree, smallfrozenthing. Kojima hasn’t modeled in a child version of one of his idols by somehow gaining access to childhood pictures.

Supposedly the McGuffin child for Independent Single Mom-bot in Detroit: Become Human, was face-modeled on Ellen Page kid-pics. Which is all kinds of creepy, if true.

1 Like

Is here any reason besides his technical knowledge for Big Boss and Kaz to keep Huey around?

1 Like

Basing this solely on what we’ve experienced of him in the last game.

Absolutely not. If they found even anyone remotely on his level they’d of pitched his ass into the ocean.

1 Like

They don’t have any particular loyalty or friendship with him beyond what any other MSF staff members have if that’s what you’re asking, but look at ZEKE compared to the metal gears that Dr. Madnar built for Big Boss in the MSX games. Huey’s real good at his job.

I said borders into, not “is just as bad as.”

It’s the conclusion to Ground Zeroes! Just as a warning, there’s some pretty extreme, realistic gore in episode 9-1 from 21:06 to 23:03.

Episode 9-1: Ground ZeroesCut Commentary
Episode 9-2: Paz’s Spy Log
Episode 9-3: Paz’s Diary

8 Likes

Someone (not me) should do a running tally of how many kills/incapacitates each Snake gets, and their time to completion on the missions, so that we have score of which Snake was the best at sneak.

Also I really don’t have anything to say about the grosser aspects of this part of the game other than Kojima needing a bop in the noggin for it.

2 Likes

tosses a dozen tranqed gitmo guards into the ocean
“HOW’S THAT FOR WATERBOARDING”
nailed it, vapor snake thinks to himself

9 Likes

I am seriously impressed that Snake put Paz in the… framstupa sidoläge… Forward leaning side position?
Whatever the correct English term for it, it is the way you should position people after making sure they are breathing and such in first aid. I learnt it from scouts myself.

Recovery position

1 Like