Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

Updates (hopefully) every Tuesday and Friday at 5PM eastern, 4 central, 2 pacific.

Ah, Metal Gear Solid V… it’s a good Metal Gear! It’s also… a bad Metal Gear. But that takes a while before it becomes apparent! We’ve been doing let’s plays of the Metal Gear series for a long time now, and this is the last we need to cover. This is the Metal Gear game that caused Hideo Kojima and Konami to part ways due to, well, a lot of reasons. The game took a lot of time and money to create, and Konami themselves were in the middle of just giving up on the video game industry. Kojima was fed up with working on Metal Gear, and Konami wanted to move to Pachinko machines and mobile games, things that would return on their investment faster. What you will see in this let’s play is probably the last of Metal Gear, not counting any awful attempts Konami makes at trying to get a quick buck out of the IP.

It’s been a long time coming… let’s play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes.

VIDEOS (Uncut commentary has us talking over cutscenes, while we stay quiet during story moments in the cut commentary videos.)

Episode 1: V Has Come ToCut Commentary
Episode 2: Ahab & IshmaelCut Commentary
Episode 3: Your New SelfCut Commentary
Episode 4: RevengeCut Commentary
Episode 5-1: Skulls in the MistCut Commentary
Episode 5-2: Catching Up (Cassette Tapes)
Episode 6: 9 Years AgoCut Commentary
Episode 7: IAEACut Commentary
Episode 8: ReflexCut Commentary
Episode 9-1: Ground ZeroesCut Commentary
Episode 9-2: Paz’s Spy Log
Episode 9-3: Paz’s Diary
Episode 10-1: Mother BaseCut Commentary
Episode 10-2: After Effects
Episode 11: Big SpoonCut Commentary
Episode 12: Open WorldCut Commentary
Episode 13: AbsinthiumCut Commentary
Episode 14-1: S.S.C.Cut Commentary
Episode 14-2: Heiwa Maru
Episode 15: CharadesCut Commentary
Episode 16: TabooCut Commentary
Episode 17: SadisticCut Commentary
Episode 18: AAAAGHCut Commentary
Episode 19: Wandering SoldiersCut Commentary
Episode 20-1: What? How?Cut Commentary
Episode 20-2: PerfectCut Commentary
Episode 21-1: Weekend at Snake’sCut Commentary
Episode 21-2: Watch Your AssCut Commentary
Episode 21-3: InterrogationCut Commentary
Episode 22-1: Take On MeCut Commentary
Episode 22-2: NiceCut Commentary
Episode 23-1: Special DeliveryCut Commentary
Episode 23-2: Chico’s TapesCut Commentary
Episode 24: GinCut Commentary
Episode 25: HueyCut Commentary
Episode 26: Jamais VuCut Commentary
Episode 27: Deja VuCut Commentary
Episode 28: BodiesCut Commentary
Episode 29: BrokenCut Commentary
Episode 30: Words and DeedsCut Commentary
Episode 31: CakeCut Commentary

Our previous Metal Gear LPs:
Metal Gear 1 + 2
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Virtual Night Club:
Episode 1: Gimme the Chip

Dust: A Tale of the Wired West:
Episode 1: HOOOO-IE

E3 2018 streams:
EA
Microsoft
Bethesda
Devolver Digital
Square-Enix
Ubisoft
Sony
Nintendo

40 Likes

I’ve literally been waiting for this since the game came out.

The lack of an IV bag or anything in the nurse boob shot in the beginning seems like a real uncharacteristic lack of detail for a Kojima game, but I guess boobies.

3 Likes

I just want to get out ahead of things here and let everybody know that I’d give my life, not for honor, but for you.

6 Likes

SO :swoon: PUMPED SO :swoon: PUMPED

1 Like

Is it Tactical Espionage Operations because he was being… operated upon?

Really been looking forward to this. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got for us Chip.

1 Like

Oh man I missed this when I played. Big Boss’s got the buddha number in fragments in his body. Sweet.

1 Like

I told myself I’d space the three videos out, and then watched all of them today instead :+1:

1 Like

Disappointed that you didn’t name Big Boss ‘Beef’.

2 Likes

Once this is all done–when my toddler has graduated high school–you gotta tell us the tally of total hours of footage recorded between GZ and TPP.

I’m guessing… 130. That might be low.

Good luck!

1 Like

Y’know, I was just thinking now would be a good time to revisit MGSV, what a coincidence! So far it seems like it’s held-up wonderfully.

1 Like

I don’t even want to talk about spoilers at this point, but just for reference, how much does Irenicus know ahead of time?

1 Like

Given his reaction to Man On Fire, I’m gonna guess the traditional “nothing at all”. But I may be wrong or misremembering the past LPs.

1 Like

I think Ironicus knows about some of the broad strokes of the game, but that’s about it.

Also, for the person wondering about how many hours of footage I’ve recorded for the LP, I’m currently up to episode 28 of the LP, and I’m at… 31 hours and 27 minutes. At that point of the LP it’s about 40% of the way through the game, I’d say. I’m actually shocked that I only have 31 hours of footage so far, feels like I’ve recorded a lot more than that.

2 Likes

well, this is finally happening!
…and I think I need to rewatch earlier LP’s or a lore vid or something because I have totally forgotten the actual plot of previous games.

1 Like

Hoo boy I’ve been excited about this one for a while now. Chip’s LPs are what got me into the Metal Gear series, and MGSV is the first one I actually got to play myself. Despite its shortcomings, I enjoyed the hell out of this game, and I ended up playing it to 100%. It’s one of my favorites. So now I’m hyped to see all the things I STILL SOMEHOW MANAGED TO MISS after playing so obsessively.

The intro sequence still gives me chills though. Cinematically it’s not even anything that special, but I guess I was so excited the first day I played that it stuck with me anyway.

1 Like

I’ve had a key for MGS5 sitting around for awhile and never got around to activating it on my Steam account ever since finishing it on PS4. Might have to fish for it now and do a little play-along while this is going on.

Can’t wait for the rest of the LP!

1 Like

Well there’s always the Drunk Metal Gear History videos we recorded just before this game’s release.

4 Likes

I had no idea about the hospital statue, dang. I kinda want a high res of it now just to see!

Also Ironicus mentioning the Sad John Cena template forces me to dig up my attempts at a proper Cena.

4 Likes

It’s nice to see this get going! I have mostly no idea what to expect so this promises to be an adventure.

1 Like