Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

What even is the action button, is that the one used for pushing buttons/scanning intel files/etc?

Yeah. It’s the generic “interact with something in a scripted way” button.

:roll_eyes: I got something like a 98% save file in this game and don’t think I ever saw a use for it that didn’t have a visual prompt. I refuse to feel bad about not intuiting the response to Kaz!

Before the next episode takes the spotlight, I’d like to promote something I’m very excited about. Final Bid is my current favorite tabletop game engine, and it’s funding on Kickstarter now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/final-bid-the-cinematic-auction-game

It’s a simple, GM-less game that gives every player a role in a movie that gets created as you play. I’m writing one of the playbooks: Glenbrook, the teen melodrama. If this tweet gets 200 retweets, Glenbrook gets added to the book and I become an actual game designer!

7 Likes

Ah, now it’s time to get into Ground Zeroes. For people wondering, when the game fades to white, it normally just plays a quick montage of the cutscenes from Ground Zeroes.

Episode 6: 9 Years AgoCut Commentary

7 Likes

There’s something oddly hilarious about Kaz reminiscing about all the horrible war stuff they did the same way one would talk about the crazy things they did when they were in like, high school.

3 Likes

Of course Vapor Snake uses actual vapor to sneak around

2 Likes

I can’t believe this LP is the Director’s Cut.

3 Likes

When Chip said that there’s a place where Ground Zeroes was very obviously going to take place in, I thought it would take place during Phantom Pain because I completely forgot about Kaz reminiscing about it on the helicopter.

I remember Kojima saying that Phantom Pain would have something extra for those who 100%'d GZ, so I can’t wait to see that.

I feel like Kiefer Sutherland has more dialogue in Ground Zeroes than in all of V

1 Like

I remember hearing that cutscenes count against your time score, so I always skipped them after my first play through of a mission, but is that true? Also don’t guards tossed into the ocean not count as kills?

I know they do in the main game,but I wouldn’t know if GZ also had that.

She shurfifed?

I’ve never seen Ground Zeroes before so seeing it in action is fantastic.

Also someone with any sort of art skill, draw Vapor Snake’s smoke-wagon. I beg of you.

3 Likes

“CQC is effective for dealing with nearby enemies. You know, CQC? That thing you literally co-invented? Let me tell you about it now…”

Fucking Kazsplaining.

3 Likes

I like Kiefer Sutherland’s voice well enough but I feel like he really blew the delivery of “Kept you waiting, huh?”.

He says it like keptyou waitinghuh and it sounds like he has no love for the character.

1 Like

Man, the fabric physics in this game is incredible.

1 Like

I’m enjoying seeing Ground Zeroes. Is it just luck* or are there a lot more physics glitches when it comes to unconscious soldiers in GZ?

I don’t think Kiefer Sutherland has much love for anything.

The guards are a little more weird in how they behave when they fall over and collide with things in Ground Zeroes, yeah. There’s a funny thing that happens if you have an enemy tagged so you can see them through walls and they’re asleep: when you put some distance between you and the sleeping guard and look away from him, and then quickly swing the camera back so he’s in view, he’ll be standing straight up briefly before quickly snapping back down to the ground.

We’ve got two episodes today since the first one is pretty short. Huey’s got some really, really bad ideas.

Episode 7: IAEACut Commentary
Episode 8: ReflexCut Commentary

2 Likes