Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

“Boss, I’m glad those lozenges we had shipped in did the trick. You’re considerably less gargly now.”

I can’t believe it, Responsible Dad has a Golden Dragon and Dingo(25:48)

Link for the latest video if anyone here hasn’t subscribed
Uncut
Cut

1 Like

Anyone else immediately concerned Big Boss is like “hey let’s raise these child soldiers to be OUR child soldiers”. I get he’s obviously and overtly the villain but holy shit.

2 Likes

I feel like that should have been the Miller/Ocelot conflict and moral choice for this misson.

M: Never liked kids. Specially not ones with guns.
O: Aw, but look how cute they are.
M: Boss, if you build this daycare shooting range I’ll just blow it up while you’re gone.
O: This is the Boss’s choice. Let him decide if he wants to be Father of the Year.

2 Likes

Phrasing it as an “Uncle Ocelot wants to do cool things, do cool things” thing would make it far more palatable because while yes, that’s still possibly training them to be cold blooded slave soldiers, there’s just enough obfuscation to not realize it, helping you sink into the roll of evil Big Boss more.

It’d actually help serve the themes while also not feeling immediately and obviously wrong and something the player doesn’t want to be a part of.

A random thing that I find weird about the last cutscene is that it feels like it’s confused if Big Boss is going all in on being evil, because he starts out the scene going

“this boy right here will make a fine killer when he’s grown” but his response when told about the new education facilities for the children is “oh cool, we’re giving them a chance at a normal life, with no murder and killing” only for Miller to go all “Nah we don’t do that stuff here” it feels weird for a game that seems to wants to make it very unambiguous that Big Boss is a bad guy. (assuming Peace Walker didn’t do that already)

It’s possible I didn’t interpret the scene correctly. or latter scene’s in the LP will clear things up in regards to the children.

I mean, it’d be trivial to drop those kids off somewhere that was a better environment to raise former child soldiers than a nation-less military base in the middle of the ocean. doesn’t seem to occur to any of them tho.

1 Like

Re: the latest episode:

Holy shit the rocket arm was amazing. I didn’t develop that in my playthrough. I had no idea it behaved like that; maybe I should have got it.

I also didn’t know you could catch a ride on fultoned cargo containers. I missed all the good stuff, seems like.

4 Likes

Snake better be careful with those sleep grenades.

4 Likes

It could well be more of a reference to “later events”/earlier games. In Metal Gear 2, the Zanzibar Land fortress has child soldiers in it. Miller won’t allow that sort of thing happening on his watch, but once Big Boss and he split ways - Miller is with FoxHound at this point, after Big Boss was exposed in the first Metal Gear game and left it himself - Big Boss is all for it. Miller is, perhaps, just about holding Big Boss back.

Which is crazy to think about - Miller on full-on hate-Cypher mode is still showing better morals than Big Boss, who seems pretty emotionally distant to the situation.

1 Like

It feels like they cut the vast majority of a lengthy argument about what to do with the children and only acted out the very start and end.

2 Likes

Since there’s a few Enemy Readiness metrics that are just awareness of tactics (recognizing fulton baloons and thrown magazines, for example), another one they could have done would be recognizing signs of dart useage. Enemy troops being able to recognize suspicious chem darts on their sleeping comrades would go a long way towards making them seem less moronic, and it really high levels you could have a thing where dudes would notice the dart from a limb shot and hurriedly shout into the radio before the Sleepytime overtakes them.

That might be a little TOO much of a guard buff for some longtime MGS players, though.

1 Like

Are those supposed to be rats, but they just reused the already existing hamsters for them and forget to prevent you from picking them up in this part?

Multi-legged Battle Gear? I’m getting deja vu.

3 Likes

I just remembered something. Years ago in one of the other MGS LPs Irenicus made a joke about a boss that has been shot a lot and sneezes out bullets. Here we have Man on Fire.

2 Likes

Damn, I never knew there were so many ways to beat TMOF. I think the first time I beat him by ramming him with the car into the crappy little pool, I can’t believe I missed a way better option.

1 Like

I was actually confident, due to the fact that I only had the base water gun, that you couldn’t do that. Thank you Chip.

(I can’t find this on Google…)
Serious Curiosity Question: Why can’t a jet planes just strafe bombs at Outer Heaven until it blows up?

I mean that’s basically what happened to Mother Base. I guess CIPHER just hasn’t found it yet?

2 Likes

So, nobody’s gonna remember the fact that Chico had a headphone jack in his chest?