Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

I get the impression that this game would be a lot better if there really weren’t a plot beyond Big Boss and friends starting a fultoning club in Afghanistan.

2 Likes

Fun fact, Skull Face is played by James Horan!

He played The King in Fallout: New Vegas, Harvey Moiseiwitsch Volodarskii in No More Heroes, Jack Ryder in basically all the Rocksteady Batman games, Jean DePaul in Killer7, as well as his most famous role of them all, Serbian Soldiers in Uncharted 2. Chip and Ironicus have a lot of history with this guy, even if they don’t realize it.

7 Likes

In a book it’s called foreshadowing.

6 Likes

You can also add that he played one of the angriest space marines in existence, Sargent Avitus from dawn of war 2. His voice for cipher is extremely close to that.

Every LP that they’ve done has been leading up to this one. Skull Face was with them the ENTIRE TIME. Insert dramatic sting for effect!

7 Likes

The urge to make a joke about Ironicus saying “It’s not hard” while Boss is carrying Quiet is strong, but I shall control myself.

1 Like

Woah, so that evil cowboy is also that Elvis whose blowjobs I’ve accidentally interrupted so many times?

1 Like

When Chip brought up Snake’s drop bear unit all I could think was this

3 Likes

I liked the boss fight with Quiet a lot. It was creative, challenging and definitely an endurance match… when you don’t know the tricks Chip showed off in the video. I remember using lots of smoke grenades. Can’t remember if I had stun grenades at that point, but I do recall it being pretty hard to actually connect with whatever I was throwing at her.

I didn’t kill Quiet, and I’m kind of surprised to learn that they do just let you kill her like that. With just how much story stuff happens with her, I’d assumed that they would have done something like… you shoot her (or try to), but she zips off thanks to her mysterious super-speed powers, and then you have to do the fight with her again later on in order to progress.

On the second video… When I played Ground Zeroes I didn’t bother collecting the tapes let alone listening to them, and you know what? I think that was fine. Just fine.

So that was all new to me. Jesus christ, what were they thinking?

The LP got me to play Phantom Pain again, and doing that and continuing to follow this got me to rewatch your Peace Walker LP. Largely because, christ, there’s something just so wrongheaded about going overserious and dark with these MSF goobers, let alone to just kill most of them off anyway, and ultimately leading up to not that much worthwhile story-wise. Phantom Pain’s fun to play, but Peace Walker ends up being a lot more enjoyable and satisfying on more levels.
This also made me realize that this is probably one of the least “I wonder what would happen if I did this instead” of all the MGS’s. That’s one of the things I loved about the series; they thought of everything you might do with every nonsensical option you might take, and they implemented them into the game. (“I’m going to skip out of the cutscene and snipe The End in his wheelchair- welp, boss beaten early”). I mean you do have all of these options and paths to complete your missions, but they essentially lead to the same outcome. It feels like there are less clever surprises. A downside of just trying to make a well-made open world sandbox, I guess.

1 Like

Is there even any upside to killing Quiet? Like, the last time you had a choice like this, you got a point bonus for conserving the Stinger’s ammo, but I think even here you’d get a point penalty for the kill on Quiet. It seems like it’s just a choice on do you want even less story than there already is.

Quiet can use her super jump when you play as her, but she only does it to jump up ladders.

The new Powerpuff Girls show is really bad, but that also has nothing to do with the voice actors.

I’m mostly just saying this because boy, that second video huh

Ladder just indicates a good place to jump up.

The only thing I’m going to say about Chico’s tapes is that more than one of them seems to have recorded over Love Deterrence.

I just like the idea that Miller thought that it was going to be a big chart-topper, and so Mother Base had hundreds of Love Deterrence cassettes that he just couldn’t sell, which Chico helped himself to before he left.

9 Likes

Chico’s long term plan after saving Paz was securing a record deal and making sure her and Kaz got the international musical fame they deserved.

2 Likes

So you can do it anywhere?

In case you were wondering, yes: Skullface is a bad guy. Still not convinced? Boy have we got something special for you.

Good god I don’t think I’ve listened to anything so excessively grim in my entire life. I’m glad the commentary was there so I didn’t have to pay my full attention to the content of the tapes.

I would have really enjoyed the Chico tapes if it was only the 5th one. I think it shows how Skullface got inside his head and played him (like a fiddle) in a chilling, effective way. Too bad about, you know, the rest.

5 Likes

I really have no idea why Kojima decided to do all this ‘taboo’ stuff. It really doesn’t mesh well at all with the ‘Big Boss era’ MGS games in general, where you go from ‘thrilling James Bond-esque adventure’ in 3, to a slightly darker but still fun ride in Peace Walker, and then to…Those tapes in GZ. MGSV as a whole just seems dreary and depressing at times, as well as overly grim.

6 Likes