Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

I imagine Benedict “Master” “Kazuhira” “Kaz” “Macdonald” Miller just stomps around the new Mother Base comparing it to the old one.

No no no the elevator used to be over here! Move the helipad to the north side of the strut, and add stairs! My desk used to face the window, damnit! Make it like the old one… diamond dogs… revenge… pain…

8 Likes

“Boss, our name isn’t French enough. Open the base management menu on your iDroid and change it to something French!”

6 Likes

YES

1 Like

The amphibious assault ship mentioned in the Ground Zeroes mission isn’t an “amphibious ship”, it’s a ship for amphibious assaults. Starting in the late 70s the Tarawa-class Landing Helicopter Assault ship began entering service. It’s basically a small aircraft carrier for helicopters and landing craft.

4 Likes

im pretty sure that even if the plot never actually shows up id still watch all 100+ episodes of this. i actually make time to sit down and watch every episode without tabbing out or doing something else on the side cuz i dont want to miss something.

A ship that was actually amphibious wouldn’t have been out of the question either in Metal Gear.

1 Like

Now that the tape for Take On Me has been found; I want to expand my story about it…one of my housemates was also playing MGSV along when I was…and on one occasion when I had to pick them up from work or something like that, I OF COURSE rolled the windows down and blasted Take On Me on my approach.

Being able to add music to your chopper pickups is really one of the best parts of this entire game.

So, I love, absolutely LOVE the animations in this game, but specifically the gun ones. Take a look at this:

Notice how half the movements are delayed or slowed down with dramatic timing? Literally look at Snake reloading any gun in this game and you won’t see any of that flair ever. Every movement does exactly what it needs to, and it looks about as routine as a truck driver changing gears. Snake fights like a soldier, and not like any Hollywood action hero, which is what Ocelot is trying to drill into the rest of the Diamond Dogs. It’s thematic.

7 Likes

Isn’t Metal Gear Ray technically amphibious?

Snake is also a 50 year old man rolling around in the dirt like hes made of rubber and taking falls from several feet without even breaking a sweat, in a gimp suit in 100° heat for hours on end - im not sure where the realism comes into play here. this is typical hollywood action hero fare.

1 Like

To be fair I’ve seen some fit grandpa’s in my time.

“Les Chiens des Diamantes, huh? Sounds great, Boss!”

2 Likes

CONTENT WARNING:
Episode 23-2 covers Chico’s tapes from Ground Zeroes, which contains audio of the torture and rape of Chico and Paz. It’s bad. There’s not much plot wise in these tapes that isn’t restated elsewhere.

Episode 23-1: Special DeliveryCut Commentary
Episode 23-2: Chico’s TapesCut Commentary

5 Likes

I have to wonder, would the Paz room feel less weird if Ground Zeroes had been in the game from the start as intended and there wasn’t a whole year between it and Phantom Pain to stew on the ending?

I absolutely love the area you fight Quiet. I don’t exactly know why, but I just have a thing for anachronistic gunfight locales.

As for the boss fight, I was pretty stubborn about certain things, such as using marking and that was quite a pain in this instance.

It is extremely just as bad.

Also hey it’s time for what I’ve been using as the most direct and obvious example of how your three playthroughs will work. The Quiet fight I was super waiting for, and am glad it delivered. In more ways than one.

Tara Strong is not only an anti-vaxxer, she’s just generally kind of an unpleasant person.

…wait really? That’s awful.

When the new Powerpuff Girls show was starting to come out, she basically sicced her social media following on the new voice actors, who didn’t have anything to do with her not being recast.

1 Like

When Miller goes “Boss, no!” at you putting Quiet on the helicopter I really wish Ocelot would go “Boss, yes!”

6 Likes