Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

Thing is, the Fulton Recovery System was a real-ass thing. It got more arcadey in Peace Walker (they used an airplane instead of a helicopter for recovery, blowing up the balloon took a long time, and you had to sync when the plane was flying overhead), but the system itself is fairly sound.

Snake used a more realistic version of the Fulton system to extract after the Virtuous Mission in MGS3.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure there are in-game subtitles for the russian interpreter side-op. Because I’ve seen them before. I think you just need to redo the side-op. But why’d you ever do that? Why did I do it? I don’t know.

Maybe I’m imagining things, though.

I like to think Russian interpreter guy just learned english from watching too many Hollywood action movies and he just thinks Americans greet by drawing knives on eachother.

Conversation Etiquette, Rule #12: Knife IS hand.

3 Likes

You’re right, there’s subtitles if you replay it with the translator.

Someone in the video comments mentioned that if you play that mission with a Russian-speaking Diamond Dog soldier you’ll also get subtitles.

Hey, as a heads up, the Summer Steam Sale started; Ground Zeroes is $4, and Phantom Pain is $10, if you want to pick it up and haven’t yet.

It’s canon. It’s all canon.

Episode 13: AbsinthiumCut Commentary

5 Likes

I never once knew there were cracks in the cliffs. Beat the whole game and never once climbed a crack.

D-Horse is an unrealistic horse because it’s very calm and not prone to a heart attack because it heard a bee.

I’m not sure on how long horses live, but it could be The Calm, Boss’ horse.

I wonder if Kojima did the Yoko Taro thing and threatened to fire everyone if they did not render the horse’s ass to look perfect.

Did The Boss’s horse have a name?

This comic speaks for itself.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=101016

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, but I went with the first thing that came to mine when writing that.

1 Like

Maybe D-Horse is just as drugged up as Vapor Snake all the time and that’s what keeps it calm. Wait, is that what the D stands for?

I never knew about any of these box shenanigans. This is incredible.

I love Giant Bomb’s reaction to the MGSV trailer video that was devoted entirely to Box™ Features™

7 Likes

There’s talk of phantoms appearing in Afghanistan, appearing when the area is clouded by an unnatural mist.
The phantom is of course Vapor Snake, tripping over into different timelines.

1 Like

Footage of Venom Snake losing bond with D-Horse:

6 Likes

The Colonel that the two soldiers are talking about is this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov while he saved the world from nuclear war he was reprimanded because he didn’t respond to what might have been a first strike by America.

2 Likes