Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

A real damn hero. Should have gotten the order of Lenin for his services, not just to the Motherland, but to all of humanity.

Unrelated, the main thing I don’t like about this game is that you can’t use the Fulton recovery system to exfiltrate anymore!

There actually is a way to effectively fulton-exfiltrate yourself, but it’s weird enough that Chip’ll probably cover it in the LP.

1 Like

Oh I know about the Silly ways to do it, but it’s disappointing that you can’t just strap a balloon to yourself and fly off like you did in Peace Walker, considering all the other things this game cribs off Peace Walker.

There is, actually, and it’s not very weird. Chip’ll probably still cover it, though.

The REAL reason we should have known Huey was bad is that he invented vaping in Peace Walker.

7 Likes

Holy moly there are a ton of things in this game I had no idea about.

• Climbing cracks.
  • Playing cassette tapes on a speaker to achieve certain effects.
  • Putting posters on the cardboard box.
  • Standing up in the box.
  • Sliding in the box.
  • Basically everything to do with the box. I didn’t use the box.

This is a Metal Gear game. How do you not use a cardboard box?

There’s so many fun options in this game, it’s understandable that someone would miss some. I didn’t really use the box either.

I knew about the box stuff, but not the cracks or cassette stuff

I mentioned earlier that I’ve only played the MGS games that are available on PC*, so MGSV was the first one I’d played in like fifteen years. I guess the MGS meta of “cardboard box as the ultimate in battlefield technology” is just something I wasn’t thinking about.

*Technically I did play the original MGS on Playstation, admittedly. Back when it was new and I’d never heard of it, a friend handed me his PS1 and a copy of the game and said “you’ve gotta play this”. He was right. It blew my teenaged mind. I was literally on the edge of my seat for most of the game.

I don’t know if this is worth going over in a future video, but one time when I was replaying, I decided to do a really stupid thing in the first mission. After rescuing Kaz, I got the Skulls to chase me; but instead of escaping to the rendezvous point, I headed towards the barracks instead. Virtually every player will try to go directly to the RV, or use that other thing that lets them skip the Skulls entirely – but I wanted to see what would happen if I made deliberately poor decisions.

What I discovered: the Skulls are either very badly programmed, or more likely, have unfinished or incomplete programming.

The Skulls actually aren’t programmed to chase you in that direction. As soon as I cleared Ghwandai, they just… gave up and vanished. Even if I was traveling along the open road and left myself wide open; they have a stricter leash in that direction than their normal leash going towards Wialo.

However, the fog isn’t programmed to lift up until you are within a stone’s throw of the Wialo village. The fog remained all the way up until the barracks, even though the Skulls were nowhere close by. It wasn’t until I was long past outpost 15 going southbound that the skies eventually cleared.

Combined with this, so long as the Skulls are on the field – or if not them, then at least their weather effect – no common guards will spawn. It’s not like that normally, either, but it is the case for that one specific mission. This essentially allowed me to loot all of Wakh Sind clean without any resistance.

There were also other things that could happen during this weird “Schrödinger’s Skulls” state of the game. I could notice one or two things in the barracks that were slightly different while in skulls mode. Nothing broken, but the Skulls were obviously meant to have various interactions with some aspects of the game world, like normal guards do – but the idea never took off in full.

13 Likes

I’m glad we’re at the point where “hey here are the ways MGS5 is utterly unfinished” has started to show. Beyond all the insane crazy fun stuff, I think the depressing tail of a broken game will be one of my favorite parts of this thread.

Wasn’t my intention to get us to that point so quickly, but on the plus side I think if we just take it as it comes it will be a while before we encounter the next obviously not-entirely-there thing. The first half of the game is pretty good in not showing the cracks of where something was supposed to be. I had to go out of my way in order to discover that about the early game Skulls. (Though it would explain why they’re not used in any Side Ops that I remember – because that’s a context where their flaws would’ve been rendered plain for all to see.)

4 Likes

So we can all agree that Vapor Snake is a rebel without a Kaz.

14 Likes

Any time in a Vapor Snake run you hear Kaz over the radio it’s actually Ocelot - Vapor Snake also has trouble telling their voices apart.

In Vapor Snake’s timeline, Ocelot just impersonates Miller. I would not put it past Ocelot tricking Snake on that.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first time some one used that trick. Well actually yes it would, but we know that it will work.

The trick is that there is no one Vapor Snake timeline. A new Vapor Snake timeline can emerge at any point, with any combination of characters - all that’s required for one to form is for Snake to get stoned and do something dumb. No matter what he does - no matter how badly he damages himself and others - there can always be another Vapor Snake, a little further along the way.

1 Like

The easter egg in this episode is one of my favorites.

Episode 14-1: S.S.C.Cut Commentary
Episode 14-2: Heiwa Maru

4 Likes

The protagonist from your MGS2 LP needs to join Mother Base ASAP

6 Likes