A confused hobo and her flying cat try to be Kamen Rider in GRAVITY RUSH

To be fair, Kat somehow makes living in literal squalor and filth look really cosy.

Also, the constant accidental throwing of innocent bystanders into the void is my favourite little detail in this game. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve helped a citizen of Hekesville and then accidentally killed them flying off to the next mission.

3 Likes

I played just a little of this on my friend’s Vita, not long enough to get a handle on the controls. I’m glad a buddy’s putting up an LP and I get to see it now!

1 Like

This is a game I was interested in but never had a Vita to play, and I had no idea they re-released the first one on PS4. I’m downloading it now because this looks rad as shit.

3 Likes

The next update to the LP is currently processing, so it should be live in a day or so (1080p60fps rendering times are absurd), so while that is running I wanted to drop an important link in the thread that will be a bit relevant in this update. It’s about language in Gravity Rush

As we mentioned before, the language in Gravity Rush is a unique language combining Japanese and French, but it isn’t just gibberish, there is in fact a cipher to be able to read the alphabet of stands and signs. There is a fantastic article here that goes into it in high detail, and for a simple cipher h8orsaints has provided one on their deviantart:

When used, some signs and shop names can be…quite amusing, which we’ll see in this update!

I’ve also gone ahead and updated the character post to put in new guys and updated the main post with image placeholders for the next update.

We’ll also have some info on our first contest and giveaway when the next update drops, but for now I’d like your input on one important thing:
Starting next update we’ll have access to the maid outfit in addition to our standard outfit. Which should the next update be in?

• Standard Kat is best Kat!
  • Maids of course!

0 voters

2 Likes

The outfits were a neat change of pace, but the normal look for Kat always seemed like they fit in the best. It’s her normal outfit, but it’s design really meshes well with the idea that she’s basically a superhero in the city.

1 Like

Time for an update!

Enjoy the slightly-bigger-than-normal update, as the DLC missions are sometimes twice as long as normal story missions. But in this one we take a nice look around town, fix some things and break a whole lot of other things, investigate the potential of meat sundaes, show off a few moves and techniques the game doesn’t really tell you about, and find out how Foo Fighters play a role in Gravity Rush

Now that we got that out of the way, onto the more important stuff:

Create-A-Hero Contest! (Deadline: March 10th)

So given this game is both a hero game, and one that focuses on odd animal-hero powers (gravity-cat, gravity-crow, seahorses?) I figure what better way to do a contest for this game than to fight the greatest villain of all: random chaos!

I’ve put together a list here of 10 powers and 10 creatures. What I want people to do is use a random number generator site to pull two numbers. One with your min=1, max=10, and a second time with min=11, max=20. The first number will be your power, the second number will be your creature. Once you got your numbers, design and sketch out your new hero! Feel free to be as literal or abstract with your design as you want.

You’re on honor code that the numbers you drew were the ones you used. You can team up with people, but the prize will only go to one person so keep that in mind. All you gotta do is post your submission in the thread before March 10th, and we’ll have the thread vote for their favorite.

Winners will receive a copy of CHROMA SQAUD, a strategy game where you control your own Power Ranger hero squad, save the world, and look damn cool doing it! (or if you have that already we’ll work something out)

2 Likes

Regarding the sound effects coming through the DS4, I don’t know if this works for the PS4, but I know that most Wii games that use the remote’s speaker will route the audio through the TV if the speaker’s volume is all the way down. Did you try doing that?

I’ll give that a shot in the next update, thanks!

The DS4 are actually really interesting and finicky with how they handle audio, especially with a capture device. I know that if you connect a headset to the PS4 through the DS4 and push audio through that, you’ll hear the controller speaker and game audio through the headset, but it will entirely cut out game audio through the HDMI port, meaning that your capture will have only video, no audio. I remember losing about an hour of Titanfall 2 footage because of that

I’ll mess around with a few settings next recording and see if we can get that sweet, sweet gem pickup sounds captured

I love the style and humour of this game.

Also, 6 15, so Knife Hedgehog. Truly the hero we deserve.

oh I can not wait to see this

Oh boy, Rage Bird. Why’d I have to get the conceptual power. :sweat:

So do you want these drawings to be in the style of Gravity Rush i.e. a human superhero and their familiar? Or is it entirely up to us?

If you can do it in gravity rush style feel free, if not your own style would be awesome too! Same for if you wanna do humanoid & familiar or just human or just animal

Armour Crab sounds kinda redundant but I’ll give it my best shot.

EDIT:

A R M O U R C R A B
With a chainmail mouth and a shield left claw.

2 Likes

Would a chicken nugget count as a meat cookie?

1 Like

He looks like a glorious Dark Souls enemy and that makes me so happy[quote=“LynxWinters, post:34, topic:1151, full:true”]
Would a chicken nugget count as a meat cookie?
[/quote]

Either that or a slider patty!

2 Likes

As the next update begins processing, I just realized how confusing the title of the LP might be to people who have never watched Kamen Rider, so I figure may as well do a quick update on that

Kamen Rider was originally a manga by Shotaro Ishinomori in 1970 which was later adapted into a live-action superhero series in 1971 and continues on in some form to this day. It and Gorenger (also based on a manga by Ishinomori) pretty much started the Sentai hero series, which came to the US as those good old Power Rangers.

There are tons upon tons of Kamen Rider series (there’s a good thread on sentai in the LP zone) but the original was based on an evil organization that took people and spliced them with bug DNA to create half-human half-animal monsters. Kamen Rider was the result of a man (Takeshi Hongo, played by Segata Sanshiro himself) infused with the power of a grasshopper. He was freed before mind-control could be completed and continued to fight against the organization that did this to people.

While there are many Rider series, mostly set in their own worlds and continuum, one thing that has always remained constant is their ultimate move: The Rider Kick. This involved them jumping high in the air like a grasshopper and delivering a devastating kick, killing any opponent. It is the coolest move any superhero has ever done

How does this tie into things? Given Kamen Rider’s popularity in Japan (to the point of it being synonymous with ‘hero’), penchant for animal-insect-human hybrids, and the fact that the gravity kick is done EXACTLY like the rider kick, I think there was indeed at least some influence of that series in this game, as a Rider is a friend of Justice, just like Kat

In any case, I think it’s something people should at least be familiar with before going on in this LP (oh and find any way to watch some of the original or newer Rider series too, they are all AMAZING)

PS: @TheJayOfSpade has started a Gravity Rush LP as well. I checked out their first episode and it was pretty dang funny. Go give them some love <3

I don’t think any mention of Kamen Rider can be complete without the addition of the US version.

It’s a shame Kamen Rider didn’t really make the americanisation leap that Sentai Did because I actually really enjoyed Masked Rider when I was a kid, I only found out about Kamen Rider relatively recently.

I’ve been watching the original series when I can find it in English and it’s pretty rad. I’m sure Kat’s doing the Kamen Rider name proud.

##Update time!

It’s time to say good bye to Auldnoir and find out the reason why I’d imagine 90% of the people quit playing this game!

At the end of 3-3 we also do a few minutes of checking out concept art and illustrations!

Reminder that if you aren’t checking them I update the Intro Post and Second Post with new information, character bios, and relevant thread posts with every update, so it’ll be worth going back and occasionally reexamining those!

In any case, next week we’ll have another guided tour of Pleajeune!

2 Likes

“Hey, how are you enjoying Gravity Rush so far?”
“Oh, it’s pretty good. I think it’s-”

“Nevermind I’m in Hell.”

Concept Art Kat is my favorite Kat.

3 Likes

DID I MENTION THE GUY BEHIND SILENT HILL DID THIS might be my favorite recurring joke of this update