A confused hobo and her flying cat try to be Kamen Rider in GRAVITY RUSH

By the way, after messing around with the settings a lot, I finally found a way to record the gem pickup sound

apparently there was a simple ‘enable/disable dual shock speaker’ option in the menu, and if disabled the sound will go to the capture card. Unfortuantely I discovered it at the end of update 4’s recording, so it’ll be another week before it gets implemented

Oh, no the creator of the world is a flasher!

I had no idea that A) Knives are hard to draw in volumes B) Knives instead of hair looks silly and C) Hegehogs are so cute

Until the final image is done, here’s a crudely drawn hedgehog to tide y’all over:

But wait, there’s more!

Truly the hero we deserve.

3 Likes

I’d trust them with my life.

2 Likes

You know, prior to the latest update I was like wow I’m surprised the guy behind Silent Hill & the Siren games made this, but yeah, now it’s uh, apparent. And oh boy that juxtaposition between the cutesy Nevi we’ve been seeing up until this point and the end game ones is pretty darn effective.

1 Like

Mild-mannered Birdie Schwann was living a quiet, boring life as an anger-management counselor. That is, until one fateful day in the park she was bitten by a Mute Swan and became…

#Swan Princess!

Imbued with the strength and infinite rage of a swan, she decides to channel her anger into something productive and starts taking it out on the local crimesters and nere-do-wells.

4 Likes

What’s that in the sky? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No…it’s…
##UPDATE TIME!

Little bit of a short update this time around, but it’s a good one. I had a lot of fun editing a montage of collecting gems in this new area. It’s time to enter the downtown ‘pleasure dome’ of Pleajeune, where an implied strip club is only blocks away from an ivy-league high school for some goddamn reason

Also, this update has probably my favorite boss battle in the game.

I hope you enjoy the update and remember, we got about 12 more days to enter in the contest! Submissions so far have been amazing

4 Likes

Get in the bag, Nevi.

5 Likes

You know thinking about it, no places with that kind of neon purple palette come to mind for me besides Black Velvetopia either. Like, I want to say there’s somewhere in one of the Borderlands games that might have a similar colour scheme, and I vaguely recall parts of The Wolf Among Us having a very notable pink/purple theme but otherwise I’m drawing a blank. It’s a very distinct sort of look.

It really works too like, Pleajeuene looks nice. It’s pretty staggering to me this came out on the Vita. I never owned one so maybe I’m just underestimating the capabilities of the system, but like the draw distance and scale of the world is real impressive for what was a portable game, let alone the fact it looks so good to boot. I’m really excited to see more parts of town, if they all have distinct aesthetics like Pleajeune that’d be hype.

2 Likes

So this next update may be a day or so later than usual (I’ve had issues with my video editing software acting up and Pullahoko has had some difficulty with scheduling with work) so while waiting I figure it’s time for an informational post, this time about Sony’s pushing of Kat and Gravity Rush in other media!

As I mentioned pretty early on in the LP, Gravity Rush was one of those games that really showcases (for better or worse) all the tech aspects of the PS Vita. It uses all the touch screens, gyro camera, powerful processing power (even though we’ve been running the Remastered version, some video of the first Rift section shows that the draw distance and resolution are impressive even there) so Sony really went in on advertising it and pushing it as kind of the ‘pokemon’ of the Vita. A bit of an interesting choice, because it was such an experimental game, and the Vita also launched with an (admittingly not good) Uncharted game as well.

Before the game came out people who saw the Gravity Rush preview got a Kat costume for their PS Home Avatar (yeah, remember that failed nonsense), in addition they also made her a playable character in a bunch of Sony products. Games like Everybody’s Golf 6 (known as Hot Shots Golf in the US) and LittleBigPlanet got Gravity Rush costumes/packs:

(this one featured Kat, Raven, ??? and Alias)

The game also got a pretty interesting commercial that laid in heavily on the apples metaphor(?). Also worth watching is this video, which came out as part of the promotional videos of Gravity Rush that includes some of the 2008 concept video when it was slated for the PS3 and called Gravite. While Kat looks mostly the same, we get to see some early concept of Nevi, and it’s worth checking out

Finally, Kat was included among other Sony Mascots as a playable character in All-Stars Battle with her own story mode (which we may cover in a supplemental video all its own)

Finally, when Gravity Rush 2 came out, sony made a CE with a Kat figure that I am extremely upset we didn’t get stateside

In any case, I hope this tides you over until we can get this next update out! There may be a similar delay next weekend, where I’ll be at PAX East, but we’ll try to keep updates on a Saturday/Sunday schedule in future weeks as we approach approximately the halfway point of the LP!

##Better Late Than Never: Update 5!

Time to say 'See you Soon" to Pleajeune (even though we just got here) and…uh…“Szia” to Endestria (shoutouts to any Hungarian viewers, thanks for having a greeting in your language ending in ‘ia’)

In this update we do another Rift Planes trip, fight a new boss, and settle a few scores with some of those difficult challenge missions from early in the game

Next update may be a bit late, as I’ll be at PAX East this weekend, but we’ll try to get it up ASAP when I get back!

Also remember, the cutoff date for the first contest is soon, so any late submissions get em in!

3 Likes

It’s not really a piss coloured palette, it’s more like English curry coloured.

1 Like

It is definitely a Turmeric Town

Looking at the early concept art, I’m really glad they decided to make Kat a lady of color with blonde hair. It makes her design as a character really jump out at you and hold your attention. It goes well with the various locations also have a distinct look to them.

1 Like

I agree with this entirely. A lot of her concept art made her look very generic (almost like a palette swap for Raven) and I like that when they were designing this world/characters, they decided to go for the pseudo-french feel mid-development process, as opposed to making it more Japanese (like Siren) or US (Silent Hill). There was a line from one of the devs about how they went with that to make it feel a bit off from familiarity, kind of putting the devs out of their comfort zone as well as the players. In a game about shifting gravity, that’s an incredibly good feeling to get.

So what you get is this really nice feeling of the player adjusting to the world (both in navigation and understanding it) Kat adjusting to the world (because of the amnesia and growing in her powers) and the player adjusting to, and understanding Kat.

Alrighty folks, sorry for the long delay in updates, PAX east and the ensuing snowstorm my neck of the woods got hit with was…a thing alright. Now that I’m back home we should be able to resume our regular update schedule. The next one will be coming probably tomorrow, but until then we got a bit of business to take care of for our first contest!

##Contest 1: Design-A-Hero
So, all of the submissions for this one were fantastic, and if it were up to me I’d make each and every one of you a winner…and since it is up to me, that’s exactly what I’m going to do! (plus I have tons upon tons of humble bundle keys for that ACLU drive they did recently)

So basically what I’m going to do is this: still gonna have voting, pick your favorite in the poll below, which’ll run for a week. After the week is up, whoever won gets first pick, second gets second pick, third gets third pick. First place will get Chroma Squad in addition to their pick, but I really wanted to make sure everyone who submitted something has something good!

So here are our submissions, in submission order:

1. ARMOUR CRAB, by @dimbosama

2. KNIFE HEDGEHOG, by @Zero-ELEC

3. RAGE BIRD, by @dijondujour

Vote for your favorite here [poll]

• Armour Crab
  • Knife Hedgehog
  • Rage Bird
    [/poll]

Update should be coming in a day or so, and then resuming usual friday/saturday updates!

Thanks a lot for your patience in this past week!

1 Like

Kat is back with a vengeance and time for a showdown!

(side note: audio came out a bit unbalanced in this one, especially 6-1. I’ll make sure that’s corrected in the next update. But hey, we’re at least able to hear gem pickup sounds finally)

1 Like

You put edit video links instead of watch.

I did, didn’t I? Whoops

I’ve fixed the links, they should take you to the video itself now. Sorry about that

I think you forgot to save your edit, as they’re still the incorrect links and the edit history doesn’t show anything.

That’s…really odd, in any case, I’ve fixed the links again, but just in case those don’t work, here are the direct links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAksqYp6fQ Part 6-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcRxQBQbBoU Part 6-2

(edit: ok, I figured out what the issue was. I usually grab the link to the videos in their list form under youtube’s ‘video manager’ mode, which usually only gives the edit link if you click ‘edit’. I guess they had a UI or system change that brings you the edit link regardless on if you click the video title link or the edit link)