A confused hobo and her flying cat try to be Kamen Rider in GRAVITY RUSH

Oh boy, Rage Bird. Why’d I have to get the conceptual power. :sweat:

So do you want these drawings to be in the style of Gravity Rush i.e. a human superhero and their familiar? Or is it entirely up to us?

If you can do it in gravity rush style feel free, if not your own style would be awesome too! Same for if you wanna do humanoid & familiar or just human or just animal

Armour Crab sounds kinda redundant but I’ll give it my best shot.

EDIT:

A R M O U R C R A B
With a chainmail mouth and a shield left claw.

2 Likes

Would a chicken nugget count as a meat cookie?

1 Like

He looks like a glorious Dark Souls enemy and that makes me so happy[quote=“LynxWinters, post:34, topic:1151, full:true”]
Would a chicken nugget count as a meat cookie?
[/quote]

Either that or a slider patty!

2 Likes

As the next update begins processing, I just realized how confusing the title of the LP might be to people who have never watched Kamen Rider, so I figure may as well do a quick update on that

Kamen Rider was originally a manga by Shotaro Ishinomori in 1970 which was later adapted into a live-action superhero series in 1971 and continues on in some form to this day. It and Gorenger (also based on a manga by Ishinomori) pretty much started the Sentai hero series, which came to the US as those good old Power Rangers.

There are tons upon tons of Kamen Rider series (there’s a good thread on sentai in the LP zone) but the original was based on an evil organization that took people and spliced them with bug DNA to create half-human half-animal monsters. Kamen Rider was the result of a man (Takeshi Hongo, played by Segata Sanshiro himself) infused with the power of a grasshopper. He was freed before mind-control could be completed and continued to fight against the organization that did this to people.

While there are many Rider series, mostly set in their own worlds and continuum, one thing that has always remained constant is their ultimate move: The Rider Kick. This involved them jumping high in the air like a grasshopper and delivering a devastating kick, killing any opponent. It is the coolest move any superhero has ever done

How does this tie into things? Given Kamen Rider’s popularity in Japan (to the point of it being synonymous with ‘hero’), penchant for animal-insect-human hybrids, and the fact that the gravity kick is done EXACTLY like the rider kick, I think there was indeed at least some influence of that series in this game, as a Rider is a friend of Justice, just like Kat

In any case, I think it’s something people should at least be familiar with before going on in this LP (oh and find any way to watch some of the original or newer Rider series too, they are all AMAZING)

PS: @TheJayOfSpade has started a Gravity Rush LP as well. I checked out their first episode and it was pretty dang funny. Go give them some love <3

I don’t think any mention of Kamen Rider can be complete without the addition of the US version.

It’s a shame Kamen Rider didn’t really make the americanisation leap that Sentai Did because I actually really enjoyed Masked Rider when I was a kid, I only found out about Kamen Rider relatively recently.

I’ve been watching the original series when I can find it in English and it’s pretty rad. I’m sure Kat’s doing the Kamen Rider name proud.

##Update time!

It’s time to say good bye to Auldnoir and find out the reason why I’d imagine 90% of the people quit playing this game!

At the end of 3-3 we also do a few minutes of checking out concept art and illustrations!

Reminder that if you aren’t checking them I update the Intro Post and Second Post with new information, character bios, and relevant thread posts with every update, so it’ll be worth going back and occasionally reexamining those!

In any case, next week we’ll have another guided tour of Pleajeune!

2 Likes

“Hey, how are you enjoying Gravity Rush so far?”
“Oh, it’s pretty good. I think it’s-”

“Nevermind I’m in Hell.”

Concept Art Kat is my favorite Kat.

3 Likes

DID I MENTION THE GUY BEHIND SILENT HILL DID THIS might be my favorite recurring joke of this update

By the way, after messing around with the settings a lot, I finally found a way to record the gem pickup sound

apparently there was a simple ‘enable/disable dual shock speaker’ option in the menu, and if disabled the sound will go to the capture card. Unfortuantely I discovered it at the end of update 4’s recording, so it’ll be another week before it gets implemented

Oh, no the creator of the world is a flasher!

I had no idea that A) Knives are hard to draw in volumes B) Knives instead of hair looks silly and C) Hegehogs are so cute

Until the final image is done, here’s a crudely drawn hedgehog to tide y’all over:

But wait, there’s more!

Truly the hero we deserve.

3 Likes

I’d trust them with my life.

2 Likes

You know, prior to the latest update I was like wow I’m surprised the guy behind Silent Hill & the Siren games made this, but yeah, now it’s uh, apparent. And oh boy that juxtaposition between the cutesy Nevi we’ve been seeing up until this point and the end game ones is pretty darn effective.

1 Like

Mild-mannered Birdie Schwann was living a quiet, boring life as an anger-management counselor. That is, until one fateful day in the park she was bitten by a Mute Swan and became…

#Swan Princess!

Imbued with the strength and infinite rage of a swan, she decides to channel her anger into something productive and starts taking it out on the local crimesters and nere-do-wells.

4 Likes

What’s that in the sky? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No…it’s…
##UPDATE TIME!

Little bit of a short update this time around, but it’s a good one. I had a lot of fun editing a montage of collecting gems in this new area. It’s time to enter the downtown ‘pleasure dome’ of Pleajeune, where an implied strip club is only blocks away from an ivy-league high school for some goddamn reason

Also, this update has probably my favorite boss battle in the game.

I hope you enjoy the update and remember, we got about 12 more days to enter in the contest! Submissions so far have been amazing

4 Likes

Get in the bag, Nevi.

5 Likes

You know thinking about it, no places with that kind of neon purple palette come to mind for me besides Black Velvetopia either. Like, I want to say there’s somewhere in one of the Borderlands games that might have a similar colour scheme, and I vaguely recall parts of The Wolf Among Us having a very notable pink/purple theme but otherwise I’m drawing a blank. It’s a very distinct sort of look.

It really works too like, Pleajeuene looks nice. It’s pretty staggering to me this came out on the Vita. I never owned one so maybe I’m just underestimating the capabilities of the system, but like the draw distance and scale of the world is real impressive for what was a portable game, let alone the fact it looks so good to boot. I’m really excited to see more parts of town, if they all have distinct aesthetics like Pleajeune that’d be hype.

2 Likes

So this next update may be a day or so later than usual (I’ve had issues with my video editing software acting up and Pullahoko has had some difficulty with scheduling with work) so while waiting I figure it’s time for an informational post, this time about Sony’s pushing of Kat and Gravity Rush in other media!

As I mentioned pretty early on in the LP, Gravity Rush was one of those games that really showcases (for better or worse) all the tech aspects of the PS Vita. It uses all the touch screens, gyro camera, powerful processing power (even though we’ve been running the Remastered version, some video of the first Rift section shows that the draw distance and resolution are impressive even there) so Sony really went in on advertising it and pushing it as kind of the ‘pokemon’ of the Vita. A bit of an interesting choice, because it was such an experimental game, and the Vita also launched with an (admittingly not good) Uncharted game as well.

Before the game came out people who saw the Gravity Rush preview got a Kat costume for their PS Home Avatar (yeah, remember that failed nonsense), in addition they also made her a playable character in a bunch of Sony products. Games like Everybody’s Golf 6 (known as Hot Shots Golf in the US) and LittleBigPlanet got Gravity Rush costumes/packs:

(this one featured Kat, Raven, ??? and Alias)

The game also got a pretty interesting commercial that laid in heavily on the apples metaphor(?). Also worth watching is this video, which came out as part of the promotional videos of Gravity Rush that includes some of the 2008 concept video when it was slated for the PS3 and called Gravite. While Kat looks mostly the same, we get to see some early concept of Nevi, and it’s worth checking out

Finally, Kat was included among other Sony Mascots as a playable character in All-Stars Battle with her own story mode (which we may cover in a supplemental video all its own)

Finally, when Gravity Rush 2 came out, sony made a CE with a Kat figure that I am extremely upset we didn’t get stateside

In any case, I hope this tides you over until we can get this next update out! There may be a similar delay next weekend, where I’ll be at PAX East, but we’ll try to keep updates on a Saturday/Sunday schedule in future weeks as we approach approximately the halfway point of the LP!

##Better Late Than Never: Update 5!

Time to say 'See you Soon" to Pleajeune (even though we just got here) and…uh…“Szia” to Endestria (shoutouts to any Hungarian viewers, thanks for having a greeting in your language ending in ‘ia’)

In this update we do another Rift Planes trip, fight a new boss, and settle a few scores with some of those difficult challenge missions from early in the game

Next update may be a bit late, as I’ll be at PAX East this weekend, but we’ll try to get it up ASAP when I get back!

Also remember, the cutoff date for the first contest is soon, so any late submissions get em in!

3 Likes