Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

It’s time for a birthday Zelda. Woohoo~

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [23] Bryne

Video Length: 41:19

Kind of a long one today, but consider it a make up for last time being so late. Cause that is, partly at least, why this is so long. The other reason it is long is… well, it’s time to do one of the worst puzzles in the game. Now I’m sure there’s a way to do it (I had DataNinja do some cyber sleuthing to figure it out) and the guide suggested way of doing this feels… not correct? Regardless, I did it the way I did it (twice!!) so I have no regrets.

That said, the real meat and potatoes of this one is what happens AFTER the hell puzzle; we finally confront Byrne in combat. It is probably one of my favorite fights in the entire game, with you dashing around avoiding his spirit wave attacks either through dodging or using Zelda as a shield. Because yes, she’s IN this fight with you! Which should have been done way more often, if I do say so myself! After he leaps around a bit, he flings out his grapple claw, preferring to aim at Link. Dodge at the right time and you’ll throw him down.

Once he’s had enough, it’s time for phase two! This is a hard phase since… truthfully I’m not sure what to do. We can clash against him with our sword, kinda like how Zelda can with Gyozords, but Zelda is… a bit slow on the uptake for swording him in the back and he can quickstep away. It seems kinda he kinda has to do his super charge move, and we just have to piss him off enough that he uses it. Once he does, Zelda can catch him and we can spin around to stab this man in the back.

Which is an interesting thought; I think in the entire Zelda series, aside from the Gerudo’s in Ocarina of time, this is the first time we’ve ever like, used our sword on a living human being, right? I mean she he’s a Lokomo so he’s kind of a fairy elf, but still! At any rate, we get this wonderful scene using Zelda’s Lullaby, then walk up to the top of the tower o face down against Malladus and Cole.

It goes as you’d expect, Malladus being unable to properly control his shiny new body, and them having to hitchhike a train ride to somewhere safe while they wait for him to regain his full strength. Darn. Anjean tells us about the secret macguffin we need to save the day, and shows us the way to it. Woohoo!

And that’s the video for today. I hope you all enjoyed, this one was rather lengthy and full of chaos. I’ll see you all next time for… something else entirely.

Happy belated birthday!

Byrne is “What if Spencer from Bionic Commando was just very anime?” and it makes for a really fun fight. Unfortunately, I don’t remember it being in the boss rush so you only get to fight him once unless you decided to keep a separate save file just to fight him.

The following cutscene rules and I wish there was more time dedicated to these two doofuses.

1 Like

Thanks!

I guess that explains the weird proportions on the arm. It’s full of his wife (or mom I guess, Byrne strikes me as an angsty immortal teenager)

Took a bit of a break and didn’t really say why. It’s a number of things, but suffice to say things are good. That being said… Zelda time.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [24] Derailed

Video Length: 46:02

In this episode, I attempt to prepare to do every single sidequest in the game. It takes… exactly one sidequest taking almost an entire hour despite not one single thing happening for me to tap out way, way harder than I’ve ever tapped out of anything before. I kinda feel bad about it, but my Minish Cap copy with the Golden Tingle Statue suggests that no, I should just move on and accept that I do have a limit when it comes to repetitive nonsense.

So yeah, not the greatest video in the world. I have done some deliberation with the council and now know the side quests I WILL be doing, and will be doing them next time, just so I’m a little bit more prepared for the upcoming end game. I will also take some time to talk about the things we could get for beating every single identical sidequest in the game.

That all being said… I hope you do enjoy. I’ll see you all next, for what may be the beginning of the end. Take care.

1 Like

Whoops, sorry, my notes to you didn’t mention to you that the station near the Snow Temple was unlocked by doing the sidequest for the Fence Anouki - I’d just put them in the order where they’d be unlocked at that time. Sorry for the confusion.

So, fun fact: If you don’t destroy the pirates quick enough when you have a passenger, they’ll come up to your ship and initiate that Minigame that you had to play to keep Gage safe when transporting him back to the sanctuary.

Yeah, that kid is… annoying. He wants to go to Beedle’s (which is annoying to chase down), but you’d think with ‘fly with the birds’ it would be the place where you… flew with the birds.

Special thing about the Shield of Antiquity! It can’t be eaten by Like-Likes!

Only the purple potions auto-revive (and they tell you that specifically). Red and Yellow ones do not.

1 Like

Sorry for the missed videos lately. Life stuff, like friends needing emotional support and me eating shit and busting up my rotater cuff in my arm means Zodi can’t really do a video. Dentist adventures as well, and possibly getting a new job to boot!

Rest assured, I’ll be doing my best to get Zeldo all squared away. It’s just been a hectic time.

Finally, we resurface!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [25] Back On Track

Video Length: 21:18

Fresh from dentist nonsense, general dealing with life, and the existential horror of what is coming up in game next, it’s time to resume train time. Today covers going through a minor side quest to open up access to the Pirate Hideout, and collecting two remaining stamps so that we’re prepared for getting all the stamps.

Not the longest video in the world, but rest assured. Friday’s will make up for it. I hope you all enjoyed… next time, we go to hell.

1 Like

Embrace Eternity.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit tracks [26] Rael Roaded

Video Length: 38:30

In this episode… we begin our journey into the Sand Realm. We need to deal with malgyorgs, the evil land sharks that threaten to ambush our train basically almost constantly throughout the area, and need to solve a stupidly obtuse puzzle that is not explained very well at all! To the point where my own personal thoughts clashed so hard with the clues I was being given that I actually had to look it up to be sure what, exactly, I was intended to do here.

With that, we meet Rael, the final Lokomo, and truly enter hell. I there was any doubt, ANY doubt that this mechanics was Just Bad… let it be erased here.

I hope you all enjoyed! I’ll see you next time… for more Hell Flute.

Oh, right. Hahahahaha. I forgot the sand sanctuary stamp was there. You need to after successfully fluting, do Rael’s sidequest once. That will allow you to get the stamp. I’m sorry, this part of the game is kinda fuzzy, comparatively, so it completely slipped my mind.
…oh, I see you saw.

By the way, you can blow the whistle to make the sand sharks jump out, rather than having to wait for them to jump at you.

Oh man. 30 minutes of video left after meeting Rael…

The game is super finnicky on whether or not it accepts double-blows. I personally wish it leaned a bit more on the casual-acceptance side. It’s a very big gripe I have.

Oh dear, I’m going to wake up one day with a knife stuck in me somewhere, aren’t I? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oof. All of this… it genuinely pains me to see you go through this.
…clearly the difference is the engineer clothes. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Disclaimer: I’m pretty sure it has no change to the mechanics.)

1 Like

You know, I’m starting to get this feeling that, and perhaps this is a hot take: Flute Bad.

1 Like

We’re back, a Zodisaur story.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [27] Sand Temple

Video Length: 30:11

With little assistance beyond “do it faster”, we tackle the flute once more. And, stars be blessed, we actually manage it. We beat this stupid thing and can finally go forward… into the three special trials that we still need to accomplish because we can reach the Sand Temple!!! Thankfully these are less difficult than it sounds, mostly dealing with the massive Rocktite boss again, navigating a simple but frustrating maze where you receive no hints or advice, and then blowing up the security keeping the temple closed. We do all that and finally settle our train into the final temple in the game, in pursuit of the Bow of Light.

I hope you all enjoyed folks. I’m glad to be back.

1 Like

It feels so good to finally say, once more, it’s time for another Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [28] Skeldritch

Video Length: 34:12

In this exciting episode, we take on the Sand Temple. And, truth be told, I maybe force it a bit much as we beat the temple in one video! But it’s super enjoyable and involves skulls so I imagine everyone will enjoy it. The Sand Temple is, if I recall, the last of this game’s traditional dungeons, and they do a good job of making it fun to explore and move around in for the most part. The Sand Rod, while mostly useless in basically every other situation, makes for a fun little tool for one last dungeon. And of course the boss makes a perfectly interesting use of both the dungeon item AND a puzzle mechanic, which is actually pretty clever if I do say so myself.

So yeah. Dungeon vanquished. I hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you guys next time for… somethin’. Hell if I know what I completely blanked on this part of the game.

1 Like

It’s time for the beginning of the end, as it where.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [29] Chicken Delivery Service

Video Length: 48:01

This is a long one, but mostly because we take on the final Take Them All Down, a massive challenge where we fight through rooms of end game enemies, and then finally every single boss in the game… plus a secret boss that is rather hard. All in all, a pretty cool challenge, even if the reward is kinda lame.

After that, we get chickens for Rael so we can get that stamp at his station. During all of this I go over some of the stuff we WON’T be doing, mostly because it’s tedious and without any real merit.

And that’s it for today, I hope you all enjoyed! Short description for a long video but that’s how these things work out sometimes. Next time, we begin… the final push towards the end of the game. I hope to see you there.

1 Like

It begins; the final push towards the finish.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [30] A Towering Obstacle

Video Length: 26:14

In this episode, we head to the tip top of the Tower of Spirits… only to begin our DESCENT into the secret chambers. Which involves a multi floor super puzzle in which you must constantly switch between Phantoms, where all the Phantoms and one of the major important floors is ENTIRELY IN DARKNESS.

So this is a very necessary part of the game and in my striving to play through it, you can slowly start to see my braaain melt. It’s cool and good. Hope you all enjoyed cause we’re going to be here for… some degree of time.

Also a note; I’ve finished recording and editing the LP so don’t worry, everything is fine and good.

1 Like

Oh hey, time for another Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [31] Mind Melting

Video Length: 24:22

In this episode, we continue doing what we did last episode, with the rather elaborate multi-floor multi-phantom puzzle. There isn’t much to really talk about other than this is a culmination of the entire Spirit Tower, which is both cool but also wholly unnecessary a task, and the dark floor makes it all kinda frustrating.

That said, hope you’re all enjoying this. Next video will actually be us moving into the end game, so just endure a little longer.

1 Like

As Plague Week 2 ends, it’s time for more Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [32] Compass of Light

Video Length: 29:55

In this exciting episode, the Tower of Spirits gives us one last knife shank to the ribs as it turns out that saving within it boots you to the very bottom. Hooray!!! Luckily all of the puzzles we solved on the way up are still solved so it’s not THAT hard to get back to where we were last time, but it sure is an agonizing piece of weirdness that I’ll never truly understand.

With that being said this final puzzle is a continuation on the theme of “use every Phantom to solve puzzles and also you need to jump between floors to get your Phantoms” which is interesting in theory but in practice is kinda agonizing. Especially since each chunk of the puzzle is divided into three separate rooms ON the floor, which just feels wasteful… and then, once that’s all said and done, after we beat up the Geozard Chiefs on the next floor, the NEXT next floor is basically the EXACT same style of “use all Phantoms to solve successive puzzles” except it’s one big room that has all the Phantoms in it! One of these two massive puzzles feels a little redundant and spoilers it’s the one we spent the first half of this video on.

Once we finally carve our way through it all though, we get to the final sanctum and get our final chest, within which we find the Compass of Light, which lights up the rail that leads to the bad guy’s secret lair. It’s right next to our home village, which is honestly hella convenient. We return home, get the Great Whirlwind Slash from Niko for getting all his stamps, get one final, violent gasp of the game trying to get us to do sidequests which we promptly ignore, and we begin to head for the end game.

I hope you all enjoyed. Next time; the finale. Take care, I hope to see then.

1 Like

Last Train Home intensifies. It’s time for the finale.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [33] [FINALE] Malladus

Video Length: 46:27

Spoiled for length and not wanting to spoil the final fight before the video gets watched. Click the arrow to unleash my ramblings~

Summary

With ancient secrets firmly in our pocket, with a glowing compass and a shiny bow in hand, we head off towards the temple of infinite darkness next door to our sleepy home village. As we approach, a demonic portal opens and we get sent to the realm of infinite darkness. And, in what is probably the best example of how this game has affected my psyche, it presents me with a challenge that I am at first horrified at the implications… up until the game fiercely reminds me that if this game has done anything right, it’s making very good boss fights and that this is part of the boss fight. All those Armoured Trains, once unbreakable behemoths that terrify us to the very core… all we need to do is drive our train to one of the Tears of Light and then it’s Pac-man time bastard! Of note, I actually did this part wrong as well; if you honk the train-horn while going at Light speed, you go even faster. Heck yeah.

That dance of death out of the way, it’s time for the boss fight proper; starting up with the fight against the Demon Train itself! This is actually a PRETTY cool boss fight all things considered, I genuinely do not remember why I was so negative about this part in particular when I knew all the other bosses were excellent. As it turns out the best I can think of is that there is times where the Demon Train will just move onto you and there’s no real way to avoid that unless you’re precognitive. Otherwise this actually RULES, our tiny train shooting down the Demon Train’s cars as we work our way up to the front of the track so we can disable it with a couple powerful blasts to the face.

Now for phase 2. We’ve boarded the train, so Cole and Malladus shall face us directly! Cole shoots out little lightning rats that lets him scare Zelda and turn her into his puppet, which is frustrating and annoying, but ultimately not that big a challenge. The rats at times drop hearts too, so it’s not an unavoidable death by attrition, you’re only going to lose if you get MAD messed up. Malladus meanwhile is blasting lasers at us as we approach, but so long as we stay behind Zelda we’ll be safe. Once we get to Zelda’s body… we have a fun time shooting it in the chest. The Demon Train sinks below the shades, and we return to reality… only to face Phase 3.

Phase 3 is the moment we’ve all been waiting for; every Zelda game has a Tennis match with the baddy and this one is no different. Cole!Malladus, this hulking behemoth, blasts out a ton of fireballs and it’s up to Link to batter them away as Zelda charges up for her super special move. This part is REALLY cool, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Cole!Malladus’s boss theme, taking Cole’s stupid silly little goober villain theme… and making it REALLY intense is outstanding. It’s honestly a feast for the ears. But as Zelda’s power grows, the music starts to fade… all very intense. As well, due to just the nature of how this fight works… the final wave of fireballs basically baits you INTO doing a Whirlwind Slash, letting you finish the fight with a very cool special move of your own. It rules.

Regrettably phase 4 of the final boss fight against Malladus is a black stain upon my soul. Zelda’s super special move is to make me play the flute one more time.

And finally… phase 5. With Malladus’s weak point pried open by powerfully good music that does not belay the fact that forcing me to learn to play the fan flute is heinous in every single regard, we can bring the fight to him! Link can slice up Malladus to distract him, while Zelda… remember in Wind Waker, when Tetra used the Light Arrows to help us fight Ganon? What if we could control Zelda during that portion AS WELL as Link? Well, the brain geniuses who gave us Spirit Tracks did that, and it honestly rules. When I first played this part of the final boss it… genuinely made everything leading up to it worth it. Link distracts Malladus while Zelda blasts him in his weak apot, a perfect team up. Of course once the weak spot is blasted by a Light Arrow a DIFFERENT weak spot opens up, but that’s fine. And, importantly… we BOTH strike the final blow together.

With Malladus slain, the ending can finally roll. We did it folks, we defeated Spirit Tracks. And as far as Zelda endings go, I do quite like this one. There’s even some room for very slight alternate endings, though it ultimately doesn’t account for much. And that’s a wrap on Spirit Tracks.

I’d like to thank all of you for sticking with this. The hiatus right before the push towards the end was rough, but I managed to pull through it and so did you guys. This game was… substantially testing of my patience in a way I’d never really experienced before. Guess it’s true that recording something is way, way different than playing it by yourself. I’m glad I did it though, this is the first of like… three massive hurdles in playing through all the Zelda’s, and probably the hardest of said hurdles. We’ve put it in the ground, and now we can move forward.

So, what’s next? Well, here is a poll to choose what the next path we’re walking down next time we return to Hyrule. We’ve closed off a branch and now have to go back to Ocarina, and make a different choice. We went with the Adult timeline path, seeing how the world would work out without a chosen hero. As it turns out; lots of boats. Now we must choose one of two paths that remain… what happens when two children tell the King the man he’s meeting is secretly evil, or what happens if we all got merc’ed and evil won. Wisdom or Power. Let’s do this!

But that won’t be for a bit. What’s NEXT next is a fun little indie game called Ronin… and it’ll be starting this Friday! No break, Plague Time means chaos rules! I hope you all enjoyed this mess of an LP, and I hope you enjoy the next one. Take care everybody.

If I remember correctly, the solution to the Demon Train sidling on over to you is to just stop or reverse.

So anyway, the final battle is really cool, and I like how much it manages to incorporate the various game mechanics into it. The visuals and music do a really good job of setting the tone, and the pacing is pretty good despite how long it goes on. Except the damn Spirit Flute, fuck that thing. Honestly I looked at the video time and for a brief, hopeful period I thought you actually managed to nail that one. I’m not surprised you didn’t though, because wow that last music sheet sucks. It never fails to slow the last battle to a crawl.

At the very least, this game has my favorite Link and Zelda relationship. Kinda wish there was another game with this dynamic. One without a flute.

I tried that, and maybe I was just too slow on the reverse but he still nicked me.

If I had kept the fluting in it would have been at least an hour and twenty minutes long. It was not a good time.

Fingers crossed for Breath of the Wild 2 on that front!

The next LP is here: Zodi Plays: Ronin (Hey, you got your Mark of the Ninja in my Gunpoint!)

And with that the thread is done. @Admods you can put it in the complete zone!