Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

I’m glad we’re getting to go through the post game stuff. I actually never did beat Diamon tournament I don’t think. So from here on is all new for me.

1 Like

Heck yeah, glad you’re excited for something new.

Video will be late today. EVery chance I had this weekend to record, I was feeling sick so I just kinda curled up and didn’t do anything. Will get things situated after work today. Thank you for your patience.

A robot appears!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [29] Robo Punching Simulator

Video Length: 25:43

In this episode of Custom Robo, we take on the first of two police tournaments; the Computer Battle. We must face off against a series of opponents and personalities in a no-limit bout! It’s actually pretty tough if you’re experimenting with all the parts and not just mainlining dragon into your soul.

Shockingly, I have more to say! The three “Legendary Commanders” we fight at the end there are, as I said, from previous games! I’ve done the footwork to figure out where they’re from: Melvin is a rival character in Custom Robo V2, which is the second N64 Custom Robo game. Max, the Second Greatest Battler, is from both V1 and V2, but is more plot important in the latter. And finally… Marv, the powerful idiot boy, is in every Custom Robo game, using a robo called the Gigantron! This is the origin for why he calls it Giant Can in the Gamecube english version… we just didn’t know the proper name of his signature mech. It does tie in to this game proper a very small amount if I recall, but ultimately it’s just that they didn’t want to put his big goober machine in the game. Dour Head, to be fair, does look a good deal like Gigantron!

So yeah. That was Custom Robo for today! Again, thank you for your patience in getting the episode out. Life’s been catching up with ole Zodi, be it people distracting me, me wanting to hang out with friends, or just generally feeling unwell. Rest assured, regular programming is back on track.

Okay, time for a Custom Robo!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [30] Genuinely Just Tired Of The Police At This Point

Video Length: 28:05

Look sometimes the title will be a pun, sometimes it will be a direct reference to something in the episode, sometimes it’s just a mood the game has given me. I’m kind of tired of every interaction withn the police squad genuinely being really fucking dystopian and would like to stop associating with them please. Outside of the Police Squad the people who aren’t Roy would be fine.

Anyway, this tournament is a two vs two match up, no limits, and our partner is Linda which is actually kinda neat! This tournament also goes a fair distance in making Roy look pretty pathetic, which rules. I also finally make a stunning realization regarding Sergei, which is amusing to me specifically and probably no one else? We’ll see.

And that’s it for today. Join us next time, where we… go to another tournament spot. I genuinely do not remember where.

So that’s an evergreen title, but also. Hm. That is some extremely casual brainwashing from the cops, there.

1 Like

It really is! I joked a couple times about how Custom Robo’s world is basically Shadow Run, what with the manifestation of nature corrupted by tech and psychic connections and the cyberpunk dystopia but like… it really is just kid friendly Shadow Run.

Late video due to an internet outage. Hooraaay.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [31] Tagged and Bagged

Video Length: 33:02

In this episode we participate in… the Tag Battle format of gameplay. Which is to say, we each get two robos to figh with and can switch at any time. This effectively gives each enemy 2000 health, and way more weaponry to screw you over with.

To put it bluntly I’m not a fan of this game type, and the tournaments goes rather poorly, in part due to my own rules and in part due to the game just difficulty spiking real hard.

Okay. This one is going to mark the uh… start of something different, for this channel. Please be gentle.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [32] Token Evil Teammate

Video Length: 21:29

In this exciting episode we head off to the lab, which has THREE tournaments for us. Because yes, the post game of Custom Robo is a fair deal larger than expected. We’re starting off with one of the… funner ones, however; the Lab Bonus Battle tournament! In this one, it’s a two vs one format… with us as the two. Evil will help us relax a bit and just stomp some losers. It’s pretty funny, honestly. We get to try out some new toys in safety, we bond with our good good friend Evil who is definitely mind wiped and not faking it thus proving that theres a very good chance society will shatter into pieces again, we learn the names of his lackeys. It’s all fun and good!

And that’s it for today. I hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time! Take care!

1 Like

Onwards, to more Custom Roboing!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [33] Embrace Draconis

Video Length: 17:15

In this video, we tackle Linda’s 1v2 tournament… wherein we are the one! Thankfully I’ve kicked my habit of using bad parts in situations where they are not called for in exchange for not having a bad time, and I think they lowered the AI difficulty for this one because wow I blast through them pretty effectively. Most important of all however; we found all te funny dialog again. It’s not as much as I’d like, but it is clear the writers are starting to get back into the groove again with regards to supplementing gameplay with good comedy writing.

Shockingly short video all things considered, but that’s how it goes. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time. Take care!

Late video on account of being a little sick woo.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [34] Burgle Burgle

Video Length: 28:51

In this video we take on the more… normal tournament held at the lab. A no limit single battle in a research lab, with the only real twist being that we’re fighting the (now mind wiped and made docile) burglars from the start of the game. Hooray…? Hooray. We also get our first CRIME, an illegal gun that… honestly really isn’t all that special actually I don’t really see why this isn’t a normal part. Maybe it’s just too useful? Who knows!

And with that, we have FOUR entire tournaments open to us now… feel free to give me your input on which one you want to see first! Hope you all enjoy, I’ll see you all next time for more of this!

Oops.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo UPDATE

So yeah. Either my disc or the console is giving up the ghost. I’ll do the work to get my save to an SD card and do the fiddling with Dolphin to get back to recording this, it’ll just take a bit since I don’t use that program nearly as much as I probably should.

Thank you for your patience, have a good day.

Take your time for sure. It sucks that things are going wrong now. I honestly cannot tell how they are expecting us to take the mind erasure stuff. It’s very clearly being played for laughs but the main game literally said that it was wrong for the government to do it in the first place.

1 Like

I return from the void to bring you ROBO BATTLES.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [35] Flying Robo CPU Battle

Video Length: 22:35

In this episode, we shake off the rust with another tournament; and this one is kind of tricky! A single use restriction battle against aerial masters, the Funky Big Heads and the Lightning Skies. A test to see how well you are at fighting that sort of enemy, which makes a degree of sense. Additionally, we get a return to form as the “NPCS” we talk to in this one have a lot of dialogue to give us! Still paltry compared to the main story mode, but with Grand Battle I’ll take what I can get!

But yeah, I’m glad to be back in the saddle. Sickness, depression, having to migrate my saves, and just being swamped with so much other stuff, lead to an in my opinion kind of inexcusable hiatus from me. But now I’m back, and we’re going to do this! Thanks again to Qwertystop for the assist on this, and thank you all for your patience. I look forward to seeing the end of this game, and more, in the days to come!

1 Like

Late video, but “the day it’s supposed to be posted” is on time as far as I’m concerned. As long as I’m sick anyway…

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [36] Two Timed at the Cafe

Video Length: 31:42

In this episode we step into Bogey’s Cafe for a light and breezy 2v2. I’m still not a big fan of this format, but the rewards for this have been quite good! Sniper Rifle, the Spreader gun, and of course the behemoth that is Metal Ox. Some good rewards and some decent fights.

Also some fairly good writing. It’s not as good as it once was, but it works. And really, seeing more of Walt’s crazy toupees is worth it.

1 Like

Missed Monday for sick reasons so here’s Custom Robo, sliding in on Friday!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [37] Chain-gun Park

Video Length: 23:39

In this episode we get the… baffling tournament at the local park, run by Harry. In this one it is ONLY girl robos, and ONLY chain-guns. You can pick what you want of course but otherwise… yeah. This is honestly one of the more baffling things, especially since writing wise it’s VERY clear this is all just an excuse by Harry to hit on girls. It’s like they funneled all of Harry’s dumb traits into a singular tournament… which at least means we won’t have to deal with it in the future question mark?

Oh man time for more Custom Robo!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [38] House Party

Video Length: 21:03

In this episode, we take on the last of the current batch of tournaments- the Mira’s Battle Party tournament! In which we are forced to interact with people we do not know or like, and everyone is lowkey keeping their distance. So, you know, the typical house party. With this out of the way, we manage to hear from all the way across town that Lucy, our landlady, wants us to come on home… so we’ll be going home next time. Hooray! WE must be almost done, right?

… right?

OOPS late Custom Robo because I got distracted.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [39] Beta Testing

Video Length: 25:28

In this episode, we return home to get our next tournament; a bunch of Holloseum developers paid Lucy to use our bedroom as a testing ground for their custom work! Time for us to try out their stuff!

This is a really weird set up but actually kind of interesting, and also it makes me realize that almost all of the arenas that are used in game are kinda lame. These ones are exciting and cool! Why are they not used otherwise? It’s just… a little more bafflement on what Custom Robo is as a video game.

What? A… custom ‘robo’ you say?

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [40] Girl Beans

Video Length: 20:25

In this exciting return to Custom Robo, we step out into the Outside once more… to the Z Syndicate “museum” where all the Z Syndicate members we met over the game have been mind wiped into believing they are just the employees of. Like with all of the memory erasure device stuff, the shenanigans have an undertone or absolute horror. Hooray!

We do Eliza’s first, which turns out to be a 2v1 in your favour again! Strange, but alright. A nice way to ease ourselves back into the robo zone, if I do say so myself.

1 Like

I return from the void of sickness, depression, and work to present you; Custom Robo!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [41] Boxer Short Contest

Video Length: 21:41

Look I’m not the one who made these scenarios. I’m as lost as you all are.

Honestly, aside from the weirdness of all of this, this is appreciated. We needed more comedy bits, and this one… kinda works. It’s very silly, but this is a game where psychic robot murder happens sometimes we need a little injection of silliness to balance it out. There’s a level of dark this game has kind of, without realizing it, stumbled head long into with this entire back half of tournaments so making it at least SILLY is a nice conflicting contrast.

…seriously though could we not have given them the five minutes to get dressed?

C U S T O M

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [42] Act As Yourself

Video Length: 22:54

In this episode, we do Isabella’s Mansion… which is more of a uh, lab, but alright. It is a tag battle tournament, against more generic Z members and Evil, and of course Isabella herself. Most importantly however, we get our hands on Rahu 1’s part data… which sure SEEMS like a dangerous thing for us to have, but alright. I don’t mind playing dice with the universe sometimes.

There’s also some good writing in this one. The NPCs aren’t CREEPS in this one, they’re just… unfortunate reminders of how extremely fucked up the mind wipe and manipulation device is. Which, while still uncomfortable, is definitely old hat at this point.

1 Like