Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger (High Noon Joke Goes Here)

There are men who fear legends
But a man legends fear
He’s a four holstered reaper
Crying bullets, for tears

When a drought comes in justice
Bullets make good rain
When the heartache has dried up
Only time heals the pain

There’s a time for grievin’, and a time to just pray
There’s a time for forgivin’, but it’s not for today

You can hide sins from the gavel you can drown them in rum
When Silas Greaves find you, there’s nowhere to run
And time goes too slowly for the gunslinger’s eye
Till he’s buried his promise there’s no time to cry

There’s a time for greavin’, and a time to just pray
When Silas Greaves finds you it’s the time you must pay

Hello and welcome to my next LP. Today we’re starting Call of Juarez Gunslinger. The Call of Juarez series is a bunch of FPSes taking place in and around the old west, and at least one of them is so awful it basically killed the series. None of them matter with regards to Gunslinger, it may as well be it’s own stand alone title. It has one very super minor connection to then first Call of Juarez but it doesn’t actually matter so who cares. So, what is Gunslinger? It’s the story of Silas Greaves, a bounty hunter who’s come to this local pub for a drink. The patrons, specifically a young kid named Dwight, seems super interested in hearing a bunch of his cool and awesome stories about how he’s killed many people. So hey, it’s time to sit and listen to the tales of an old man. But of course, the question is…are the stories true or not? It’s a really fascinating framing story, and this game does a lot with it.

So, thread rules. Don’t spoil stuff, please. This game’s story is Actually Good so that matters. Please don’t spoil some of the mechanical stuff as well, it’s more fun for people to see it fresh. I’ve beat the game before, but some people watching may not of so don’t ruin the experience for them. That being said, DO feel free to spoil how the real world people good ole Greaves interacts with have their lives go. One of the features of this LP is that I’m going to be giving little snippets of information about said people, and in fact one of the collectables in game gives historical information as well, so that’s something we can all enjoy.

Since this is my first LP here at the LP Zone, I’m gonna go over some of the more specific Zodi based stuff. Updates are Monday and Friday mornings for my time zone (that’s mountain time if curious). I typically don’t keep a big old list of every single update in the OP, though I’ll add a spot for the video playlist if you guys think it’ll be a good idea. I’m still getting used to the standards you’re probably used to! I also put the video length underneath each video so that you know if it’s gonna take you an hour to watch it, a small thing that I think is quite helpful for people strapped for time. My videos are subtitled instead of voiced, so sorry folks but you don’t get to hear this girl talk about video games. It’s something I’m working towards, but I’m just not in a good situation for audio recordings and the like. So, without further adieu, let’s begin Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [1] The Shootout At Stinking Spring

Video Length: 16:12

NOTE: This and video 2 are going to have some…graphical issues. No one noticed until today so I’m sorry for that. Talk about a good first impression…I am again really sorry for this, it makes both me and the game look bad. I’m guessing it’s something to do with my video processing, I’ve never put something into 60 frames per second before…blagh.

We begin this episode setting up the framing story. Silas Greaves steps into a bar run by ole Ben, and patroned by a few interesting fellows. An older man named Steve, a middle aged man and eternal skeptic named Jack, a show girl named Molly, and a little kid named Dwight. After some prodding, they get Silas to tell them some stories, specifically from the start of his career. And so begins our story, Silas riding with Billy the Kid at the climactic moment in history where Billy was finally caught.

So, gameplay wise the game…is an FPS. It’s a pretty good one, though it suffers from the problem of “are you using iron sights? Good you can actually hit things”. It really wants you to iron sight your guns, and that’s kind of a thing. You start with a revolver, basically just ye olde pistol from any old FPS…though it only holds six shots because…I mean it’s a revolver. Later on we get a ranger, which is like the classic revolver type weapon you’d get in regular FPSes, and the differentiation between the two is actually kinda weird when you think about it. But eh, it works. The final gun we get this episode is the rifle. It’s basically just a sniper rifle, going off classic FPS stuff, but no scope because this is the wild west, son.

Anway, let’s talk about the first “thing” that makes this game stand out a bit, mechanically. We have a little gauge of concentration and if we activate it, time slows, enemies get outlined in red, and we can quickly dispatch all our foes. It’s a pretty cool mechanic. The other thing that sort of sets the game apart is the Sense of Death. Basically, in certain cutscenes (and in regular gun fights if we just get shot to pieces) time slows and we can dodge a bullet that is certainly going to cause us big problems. It’s pretty cool.

After shooting out way to the old abandoned farm house Billy’s held up in, we get a little shooting gallery segment that’s pretty neat, then get told to get the horses so we can escape this near onslaught of baddies. We do so, and end up in the one final thing that makes this game stand out from other FPSes, beyond it’s story and the two previously mentioned things. Gun duels. We meet the sheriff that will eventually capture (and kill) Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett. Duels are interesting, though in this one we only care about focusing on the target. In regular duels you need to pay attention to both your focus, and the speed of your hand. It’s pretty complicated, an elaborate juggling of mechanics, and to top it all off if you draw first you get less points to level yourself up because it’s not honourable. Which makes a degree of sense, considering that it shows you’re skilled enough to get drawn on, and still win. In that sense the level up system and the kind of ridiculous skills you can unlock make sense, since this is a story Silas is telling to people. They’re more likely to believe his impressive skills if he actually tells the story well enough to support it. It’s neat. But yes, we shoot Pat Garrett dead. Except, no we don’t.

Turns out that was just a lie from the Dime Novel that Dwight had. Silly kid. Naw…history isn’t so dramatic. We get popped in the face and sent to jail along with Billy and the rest. So it goes. I hope you enjoyed, and I’ll see you all next time for chapter 2 of Silas Greave’s story.

Hey it’s time for a history lesson! Specifically, we’re going to be talking about Pat Garrett, the sheriff that captured Billy the Kid, and would later go on to kill him.

That’s basically it. I looked up a lot of info on this guy, and the way the game treats him as this big shot cool guy that everyone hated, it seems…pretty unjustified. Pat Garrett was a sheriff that did his job. He might of killed a man once over some goat farming but that’s a murder that never got solved. But that’s basically it. His entire life was seemingly devoted to hunting down Billy, and in the end he did catch him…only for Billy to make one of the most famous jailbreaks in history. He went after, and one day he found him. Garrett was knocking on doors asking if Billy was in town, and Billy answered with a “Who is it? Who is it?” in Spanish. Garrett recognized the voice and shoot him dead through the door. Later he’d go on to have a book on Billy’s life ghost written for him and apparently it was a pretty shitty book. The last thing people know about Garrett is…he may of gotten killed in a conspiracy by some land barons to get access to the land he owned. Huh. What a way to go.

And since we have the time since…let’s be fair, there isn’t much to talk about with Garrett, let’s take a look at our good friend Billy.

Much like what the game says, Billy the Kid (born Henry McCarty, known mostly as William H. Bonney) was a participant in New Mexico’s “Lincoln County War”, which was basically just a giant turf war between gangs and the people caught in the middle. Billy joined the side of the so called Regulators, and after the five day siege of the Battle of Lincoln, the Regulators where scattered. This lead to Pat Garrett being appointed sheriff, and thus the hunting of Billy and the other surviving Regulators. The war didn’t do anything other than further destabilize the area, and Billy continued on with his outlaw-ering after the dust had settled. It was finally at the siege of Stinking Springs that he was caught, though Billy made a rather daring escape that extended his life by a year. He asked to use the latrine and on the way TO it, he slipped his cuffs and beat Jim Bell, one of the deputies of Lincoln, with the chain. He managed to take his gun, and shot Jim Bell dead. With the ankle cuffs still on he then proceeded to get back into the sheriff’s office, stealing the shotgun of the other deputy, Bob Ollinger, and shoot him to death with it. More of good ole Bob next time, funnily enough. After dealing with the two deputies, Billy axed his ankle cuffs off, found a horse, and ran off into the sunset. Legend says he was singing as he left.

Playlist

Also, here is ShneekeyTheLost’s massive list of cool and interesting information on the guns and other assorted weaponry of the Wild West.

[details=Summary]> Okay, having gone back and watched the actual first episode, color me actually impressed.

The revolver, actually specifically the Colt .45 ‘Peacemaker’, was an iconic revolver because it was a very reliable piece that rarely broke down, maintenance was easy, speed-loaders made reloading very rapid for those skilled in the usage, very portable, and very good accuracy for a handgun.

This particular revolver was made specifically for the Civil War, as a primary sidearm, where it proved highly effective. But in 1894, when Colt came out with a .38 revolver that was double-action (no need to *pull the hammer back manually), the army switched to that, and thousands of .45 chambered Colt revolvers were sold to the civilian market. Which is why this particular revolver became so famous. There were lots of them, and it was a damn good gun.

And, for once, either by sheer accident or someone actually doing the research, 1910 is the perfect time to introduce a hero using said revolver, because that was the height of its usage in the ‘wild west’.

The rifle, judging from the fact that it is loaded from a ‘trapdoor’ instead of the stock, is probably either a Henry or the Winchester Model 1873. My bet’s on the latter, personally. This was the ‘rifle that won the west’, as it is touted, and one of the better repeaters out there. The Spencer packed a bigger punch and was ridiculously over-engineered for reliability, the Winchester had a higher rate of fire. Historically, it fired .44-40 rounds, rather than the .45 the Colt Revolver used, meaning ammo was not interchangeable between these two weapons. Having said that, these days, you can find replicas that do fire the .45.

And again, a very popular rifle in this time period. Oh, and don’t worry Zodi, there actually was a sighted version of the Model 1873 designed for sharpshooting. No scope, of course, but the ring sight was the best there was to offer in the Wild West era.

Of course, it could also be a Winchester Model 1876, which was chambered for .45 (albeit the .45-75 or .45-60) which also had a storied past, being issued to the Texas Rangers, and being the personal choice of the ever popular Theodore Roosevelt.

I also notice that in the window you were leaning out of, there was a double-barreled shotgun, which was quite a popular close-quarters weapon of choice.

The ‘ranger revolver’ is probably supposed to be a Colt Walker, the most powerful blackpowder repeating revolver ever made. Created by the combination of Texas Ranger Captain Walker (And yes, Chuck Norris stole the name from him when he did ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’, being one of the most famous Rangers in history, short of the ‘lone ranger’) and Samuel Colt (creator of aforementioned Peacemaker). While it used a slightly smaller .44 caliber round, the extended 9" barrel and better rifling gave it a previously unheard of 100’ range for a revolver. The gun used the very powerful .44-45 round, and was strong enough to take down a rider’s horse at close range. Later models reduced the barrel length down to a more reasonable 7.5" and reduced the amount of powder per cartridge due to a persistent problem with the cylinders rupturing due to poor metallurgy of the day. Then again, Colt told Walker that he shouldn’t put more than 50 grain of gunpowder in it, and Walker insisted on 60 grain, which was cut back to 50 when the Dragoon model came out.

It was known for accuracy and stopping power, albeit slower rate of fire than the Peacemaker. It also became an iconic representative of ‘no such thing as too much gun’ sort of weapon.

Now then, this shotgun was a little bit harder to identify, but since it called itself a ‘Whitney’, I’m betting it’s based on the Remington-Whitmore 1875 Double-Barreled Shotgun. Now, to give you an idea of the stopping power of this weapon, let’s say it’s loaded with double-ought buck. That means it is spraying out 18 pellets each as big as a .38 round. There’s a reason shotguns like this are occasionally known as ‘Hallsweepers’. Mind you, there’s a LOT of exaggeration about the size of the spread of a shotgun and the maximum range thereof, although the barrel length has a great deal to do with that. But this game seems to actually be fairly accurate that the spread is roughly the size of a soccer ball.

With two independent triggers, you could fire left or right barrel or both simultaneously, if you want. The break-forward breech-loading action was revolutionary for the day, and really helped shotguns come into their own in the Wild West.

Now, looking at the barrel length, it’s pretty clear that this shotgun is designed as what is now called a ‘Coach Gun’. You know the term ‘riding shotgun’? Yea, this is the gun that literally coined that phrase, although it didn’t turn up until about a decade after the setting we are in. Also known as a ‘Messenger Shotgun’, this is a general class of shotguns with a shorter 18"-24" barrel, typically double-barrel breech-loader, designed to be very handy on the tight quarters of the seat next to the driver. When you are bouncing around at a gallop trying to get away from the bad guys, loading’s a pure bi… er… pain in the neck, so you had to have something you could load quickly and easily, and a longer barrel would get in the way.

This was a HIGHLY effective weapon for what it was intended for: close-quarters mayhem. Mind you, the lack of range of a shotgun is something of a Hollywood myth, as is the size of the spread of a shotgun, but this is a weapon which could put down damn near anything from point-blank to around fifty to seventy five yards. The common tactic was to shoot at the horse, this gun was quite strong enough to cripple or kill a horse, regardless of where on the horse you hit it. This would cause the horse to tumble, taking the rider with it, and causing an obstacle for the guy behind HIM trying to get into said coach to deal with.

In the modern day, we have largely moved to pump-action and semi-auto shotguns which can accept magazines, but this is another iconic ‘Wild West’ weapon that I am glad made an appearance. If you claim that the Winchester '73 was the ‘gun that won the west’, this was the one that tied the west together by protecting the stagecoaches delivering mail (hence ‘messenger gun’) and other goods (see also: Wells Fargo).

On the topic of horses: I certainly agree with you that it is absolutely silly that he wouldn’t grab a horse to get out of there, however there IS actually some logic behind this.

First off, a guy on a horse is actually a surprisingly easy target to hit, and all you need to do is hit the horse and you are in for a bad tumble that could very well kill, or at least cripple, a man. Also, horse-stealing was Serious Business back then. In fact, to this day, in the state of Texas, it is customary at Western Riding events to have a noose looped over the front of each stall, because the law was: If a man tries to steal your horse, you are within your rights to hang him from the nearest tree’. This is because leaving a man stranded with no means of transportation was considered to be essentially a slow and torturous death sentence, considering how few and far between fresh water sources were.

Fun fact: this is actually where Texas laws concerning car theft and even auto repossession are based on.

Another note about the shotgun:

Unlike the Colt .45 ‘Peacemaker’ or the Winchester '73 repeating rifle, it wasn’t the particular model that was so famous, it was the class of weapon. There were many different types of shotguns all built to roughly the same design: a shotgun that was mobile and could quickly and easily be fired from a bouncing stagecoach seat while perched precariously less than two feet from the pounding hooves of the horses pulling said stagecoach.

Unlike the '73, which was a precision instrument that required a high degree of quality control, a shotgun is far more simple, but by no means ‘elegant’, weapon. It is a smoothbore weapon, meaning no rifling in the barrel, which made it FAR easier to produce en masse, with far looser quality control checks. Because let’s face it, your target is going to probably be close enough that you can smell his halitosis. At that range, picking off dimes at extreme range is unnecessary. You just need to put a cloud of buckshot where the bad guy is going to be in a moment. Which means there were a whole LOT of people making them, and a whole LOT of people buying them. And they were much less expensive than the '73 or the Colt .45 was.

The Coach Gun in general, however, was an iconic weapon of the era, to the point that if you look at the Wells Fargo logo, you can still see the driver, and the fellow next to him with this shotgun, as a mark of pride at their ability to run loads of gold through some of the most lawless treks of land to carve a name for themselves in the financial industry which stands firm even to this day.

The Apache having a gun, rather than a bow and arrow, is quite accurate by this time, they had largely converted from archery to the repeating rifle. In fact, they also preferred the Winchesters, and the famous Geronimo himself was found with a Winchester 1876 in his hand. Also used by Teddy Roosevelt, it was the .45 cal rifle of choice for many. I suppose this one used a '73 like you did for the ammo to be interchangeable, which is easy enough to assume, given the apache itself literally fell out of nowhere.

And now, the Gatling Gun.

Now, a fellah like that actually owning a Gatling Gun stretches believability to the point of incredulity. Unlike the '73 and the Colt .45, which were being surplussed out to the civilian market in job lots after the Civil War was over, these babies were still strictly military hardware at this point. It would be the equivalent of someone in the modern day owning an M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun. But, considering the sort of story we’re listening to, I’m willing to hand-wave that little point in favor of Rule of Cool.

The next point is that this is really a crew-served weapon, meaning you need more than one person to operate it effectively. You’ve got one on the crank, one doing the reloads, and one communicating with your forward observers to aim the damn thing. However, for purposes of this story, let’s go ahead and assume that the delays are because he is reloading himself.

Now, the Gatling Gun fired all up 45-70 Gov’t rounds, much like the Winchester '76 did. Hand cranked, so it technically wasn’t a fully-automatic machine gun, this was the next-best thing, and it tore chunks out of formations which were the norm at the time, as armies still went to Napoleonic tactics clear up to WW I, where the machine gun put a definitive end to massed infantry formations in a very bloody manner.

While good at putting lots of lead downrange, accuracy against individual targets sucked, especially not without a forward observer working with you. And with all that cover? It was as good a place as the hero could find to take on a weapon like that. It was used effectively in the Civil War at the Siege of St. Petersburg, and were also mounted on naval ships, but it really wasn’t used all that much by the American military until after the Civil War was over and the concept was proved to them.

Famously, General Custer explicitly did NOT take his Gatling Guns with him as they would ‘slow him down’ (they could be hitched to a horse to have roughly the same speed as a stagecoach, so I don’t know why he thought they would slow him down all that much, but the man was never known for rationality) to his now infamous Last Stand at Little Bighorn. Had he done so, it might’ve turned out a bit differently, or at least made them pay more for it.

Okay, let’s talk about the category of weapons generally known as a ‘sawed off shotgun’. Now they fall under the category of SBS (Short Barreled Shotguns) and are illegal to own in most jurisdictions, because they’re too easy to conceal and too lethal in close quarters. And to understand why, we need to get into just a little bit of science. Not much, I promise, and this is the fun ‘blow things up’ kind of science, not the boring ‘yadda yadda yadda’ kind.

Now, first off, the barrel of a gun is really important in several ways, especially back then. You see, the bullet takes off because you’ve got gunpowder, which burns hot and fast, compressed behind the lead slug. So, as the burning exothermic reaction causes expansion, that expansion is what pushes the bullet forward. Now, in a rifle, this is important, because this is also what causes it to engage the rifling grooves around the barrel, but even in a smoothbore, the longer the barrel, the more of the powder burns, and the more power you get at the end of the muzzle, and the more accurate it is going to be. Particularly with a shotgun, a longer barrel means you have less spread.

With a sawed-off shotgun, you’ve got more spread, and slightly less power. However, make no mistake, anyone trying to use one as a pistol is going to end up with a broken wrist or arm, because no man born on earth is going to be able to handle the recoil from that bad boy without a second hand and some kind of brace. Having said that, you can conceal one quite readily under that duster, making it a surprise weapon. I notice that they are using a double-barreled sawed off shotgun, which I suppose is not entirely out of the question, but unusual.

Basically, this thing is designed for Close Quarters Combat, with an optimal range out to about twenty five or thirty five yards tops. It is slow, clumsy, break-action, and hard to aim when compared to something like a Peacemaker, but there is absolutely zero chance that anyone hit by one in center of mass is ever going to get up again, particularly in THAT day and age with the medical assistance available to them.

The ‘pistol grip’ sawed off shotgun does exist, but they’re significantly harder to handle the recoil with, and far less common because they’d need to be made custom. A classic ‘sawed off shotgun’ is just that: a shotgun that had six inches to a foot of the barrel literally sawed off, which means it’s still got its stock and grip.

tl;dr version: The way he used that weapon was completely impossible by modern physics. You don’t use a SBS like you do a handgun, unless you’re built even bigger than Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yes, they exist, yes they were relatively common in that day and age, but they were never used as pistols by any stretch of the imagination. They were used much the same way a rifle or regular shotgun was used, just in tighter quarters and more easily concealed. This is the least realistic weapon our hero uses, by a good margin.

TNT, or Trinitrotoluene, is a relatively new substance for the era our intrepid hero is adventuring in. It was designed primarily as a means of blasting through rock for putting the railroads through mountains and such.

Using it as a weapon, as depicted? EXTREMELY unwise. Not only do you have things like ‘minimum safe distance’ to worry about, fumbling around with a lighter and a highly explosive substance in the middle of a firefight (good luck with that), and other practical matters like that… you also have to worry about shrapnel, ESPECIALLY in a lumber mill. TNT goes off, turns the dude it is sitting under into Chunky Salsa, and turns the lumber around it into projectiles. You know what you call a foot long splinter being hurled at 60MPH? Unpleasant to be hit by. And that kind of stuff would be flying all OVER the place.

You could use it as an ambush. Plant some TNT under a bridge, and setting it off as the bad guys ride on it? Perfectly fine. But tossing it as a grenade-like weapon? Never.

Now let’s talk about shooting it out of the air. In a word: Nope.

You see, funny thing about TNT, it’s surprisingly stable stuff. The fuse is actually not what sets the stuff off, by the way. You can actually burn a stick of dynamite and not go off, by weight, it’s mostly sawdust. The trick is that the fuse leads to a gunpowder charge, which then sets off the TNT, otherwise it won’t have enough gumption to go off.

So shooting it out of the air? Other than the practical impossibility of hitting a target that small moving that rapidly through the air, shooting the damn thing won’t really do much to it, unless it hits the powder charge in which case you’ve got even odds of it actually being disarmed because the powder charge no longer has sufficient pressure to detonate.

The other ‘fun’ problem with TNT is ‘sweating’. Basically, you’ve got a variant of Nitroglycerin mixed in sawdust there. You remember that stuff? VERY sensitive contact explosive? Yea, when it sits for too long, the stuff can ‘sweat’ out to the surface, making for an EXTREMELY unstable boom just waiting to happen. Even something as innocuous as a thrown pebble could set off the whole supply with devastating results. So, say, you’ve got a pack of TNT in your saddle pouch for a few months, and it starts sweating… the next time you spur your horse into moving, the jostling could easily set the damn stuff off. Game over. [/details]

3 Likes

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD AND NOBODY EVER TALKS ABOUT IT.

1 Like

Well guess what fricker someone is now!

1 Like

It’s great that this game takes the Unreliable Narrator framing device in a lot of good story and gameplay directions. Usually Unreliable Narrator is just thrown around after the fact to try and cover up some kind of screw up.

1 Like

It’s honestly the thing I like the most about this game. The shooting is classic, perfectly fine modern FPS gameplay. The western aesthetic and dueling is stylish, but it’s the narrative (in a FPS no less) that really makes this game stand out. I can’t wait to show it off.

Okay, time for more Gunslinger.

[URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibyajpL-d4w”][B]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [2] The Lincoln County Massacre[/B][/URL]

[B]Video Length: 12:35[/B]

Note, this video’s still got the graininess issue. That’ll be fixed next time though! With that said, let’s get going. In this episode, we’re stuck in jail in Lincoln County. However, luckily for us, this is the moment Billy the Kid makes his grand escape, killing Jim Bell and throwing us the keys to our cell in through the window. We get out, and find deputy Bob Ollinger’s shotgun, which is sure to be of use to us. It’s a shotgun in a FPS, so you know how it works. Relatively close range bullet spread that will blow enemies to pieces if they’re close enough! Since this is in ye olden days, it’s only got two shells loaded at a time, so it’s not good for rapid fire destruction, but it’s still pretty good.

With the shotgun in hand, Silas Greaves makes his way out of the sheriff’s office and across the rooftops to the nearby cliffs. He…ATTEMPTS to sneak out of town, but given his tendency to switch to violence at a moments notice that doesn’t quite work so well. The gunfighting in this episode is actually pretty cool, shooting our way through an entire town. People hiding up on balconies, jumping out from behind buildings, it’s pretty cool. There’s a lot of cover, and it’s actually pretty enjoyable. Some of the mechanics do come off as a little clunky at times, I’ll note, but I do feel some of that’s just due to the rust of me getting used to the game again.

After shooting our way through town (and realizing that Billy, bastard that he was, used us as a distraction to escape) we encounter Bob Ollinger, the deputy of Lincoln County. He’s pissed we stole his shotgun, and is mad Billy escaped, so now it’s time for a gun fight. We prepare ourselves, and begin the first real duel of the game. In dueling, you’ve gotta use the mouse to move your focus cursor over the enemy. Focusing will make your bullet more accurate, which…I mean, is important, obviously. You use A and D (so left and right) to move your hand. There’s really no…clear science of how the hand movement works, but basically you do it and it increases your hand speed, which lets you draw faster. Given that we’re trying to win every duel honourably, that’s kind of a big deal. If they’re gonna draw first, we want to draw as fast as possible. We stare down Deputy Bob, and after a brief staredown, Ollinger draws and we put a bullet in him. We escape, the town depopulated quite a lot, which is tragic given this isn’t the first time Lincoln’s had a massive gunfight in it that could be called a massacre. Greaves tells us that good ole Billy…in the end, he got shot by Pat Garrett anyway, so it was all for naught. Such is the way of the west.

And that’s our episode. I hope you enjoyed, I’ll see you guys next time. While Billy is gone and our enemies dealt with, there is more in store. Next time we face…The Cowboys gang. Hope to see you there.

Let’s look a bit at history. As you all know from last time, Bob Ollinger was killed by his own shotgun that this game lovingly renders (and boy does it ever) by Billy after he made his escape. While the game says that’s not the true way it went down, let’s take a look at some of the true things about Bob we know BEFORE this event. I kinda figured that like Pat Garret, Bob Ollinger would just be a regular old deputy. Turns out no, he’s uh…he’s kind of the perfect example of the exact person you don’t want to be in charge of the law! He was a ruthless gambler (which isn’t that bad given the time period) who would just kinda randomly shoot the people he was gambling with if he decided that he didn’t like how it was going (this is the bad part). He used his badge as a deputy to get away with most of it, the worst of it being him just kinda casually chatting with a friend, asking about gambling debts, going into his house, and just kind of casually gunning him down in front of his wife and child. And then saying, according to the wife, “I’m a deputy, they’ll never charge me, I’ll just claim self defense”. Well, he…DID get arrested for that one, and was sent to Lincoln County for trial. A trial that never actually happened, the crime was just…swept under the rug.

Deputy Bob continued his ways, staying in Lincoln County after they kind of just casually allowed him to outright murder a man for no reason, and fortunately for everyone this would spell his undoing. Not longer after, Garrett would arrive in town with the captured Billy and his Regulators, and then left to go do his taxes in the next town over (I’m serious). As talked about last time, Billy slipped his cuffs, killed Jim Bell, and used that iconic shotgun, used in so many brutal and uncalled for murders, to kill the bastard who used it. I’ve found a lot of people really sad Jim Bell got shot. Not a single person gave a shit that Ollinger bit it. Such is how it goes in the west.

1 Like

I figure Greaves’s hatred of horses is a developer in-joke about how they aren’t included in the game.

1 Like

That could be it. Truth be told I’ve…never played any other Call of Juarez games beyond this. I know Cartel is the worst but how are the others?

Another Monday, another Gunslinger. Let’s go.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_smY-DtIBw”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [3] The Ambush of Guadeloupe[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 9:50[/B]

Video graininess has been fixed. Sorry about that. Anyway, now begins the second chapter of Silas Greaves life, and story. He joins up with the Mexican Rurales, basically a bunch of rural fightin’ men. The job, track down the Cowboys gang, a vicious group of bandits and rustlers led by “Old Man” Clanton. The group also contains Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo, two other infamous law breakers. A lotta names to take down, but Greaves seems ready for it…if only for Johnny. I also find it funny that when questioning pay, Greaves is just kinda “…eeeeh they didn’t actually pay me very well” and that’s hilarious. But yes, Greaves joined up with the Rurales to hunt down Johnny Ringo, though his true goal in all of this is to find a one Roscoe “Bob” Bryant. I wonder who that is. At any rate, let’s discuss how this level has some of my favorite “because of the narrative” moments in it.

Greaves comes across a stagecoach being shot to pieces by the Cowboys, and does his best to save who’s inside. And winds up getting ambushed by the remaining bandits. A band of Apache warriors, armed with rifles! Raining down death from above and- wait, Apaches? That doesn’t sense, we’re hunting the Cowboys. But when this is brought up, Greaves says that no, the misunderstanding is on US. They attacked Apache STYLE. And if you go back, his words are “They attacked from on high, like Apache often did”. He then GOES INTO a description of how the Apache tended to attack, but he never specifies if he’s fighting Apache, or fighting the Cowboys. So you can clearly see where the mix up is. But at the same time…could it really be a mix up? After restarting the gunfight with the PROPER enemies, Greaves goes on to say that since he was still young and inexperienced, he soon found himself in a perilous situation. And though it’s hard to tell because I reload and pick up ammo at the same exact time this starts, our ammo starts draining to make the fight harder, to make it more of a survival firefight than a “you have to win” fire fight. And this is ingenious, and let me tell you why.

In most FPS games, if they want to provide a situation where the player has to cut and run, they do sometimes have to break the rules. Infinite respawning super powerful enemies, or contriving a way to remove your guns from you, or in the worst case scenario just sort of assuming the player will realize they can’t win and they’ll go along with what the game wants. These are clunky, and bothersome. If a player is good enough they could easily survive this stage coach encounter, unless the game spawned a billion Cowboys up there, which wouldn’t really be good game design. But, because of the conceit of the narrative, Silas can just remove ammo from the player, since the stuff playing out…even if it’s real and really happened, it’s not ACTUALLY real, it’s the mental picture of the story he’s telling. So it feeds into the young Silas’s “I’m invincible!!!” mentality because suddenly “oh oops I have no ammo” and it also ensures that you’re WELL AWARE that you should RUN. And the game does cheat a bit, by making it way harder for you to die once it reaches this point, but that’s GOOD game design, since the game is setting up for you to run away, so it can’t kill you. That’d be rude. And to top it all off…the path that opens up is literally a piece of the scenery sliding out of the way. That is fantastic.

So Silas runs, and runs, and maybe shoots a little, and runs, and if there are any Nuggets in this area I sure as hell didn’t see em, so replaying this level to get all the Nuggets is gonna be a bit of a pain but whatever. And eventually we reach a dead end…but luckily, like mana from heaven, we come across the corpse of an Apache warrior. In game this is shown by the rag doll of the warrior literally spawning from the air. In most games, this would be a mistake. But this game gets to play around with stuff, it’s narrative conceit allowing it to cut corners in funny ways like this. The poor Apache fills us up with ammo, and Silas turns into a roaring tornado of fury and vengeance…to the point where Jack tells us to get on with it. We also find some dynamite, which works like typical shooter grenades except you can switch to using the dynamite specifically, so you can get more precise shots. It’s pretty cool. We tear our way through the Cowboys, and finally get to Old Man Clanton.

Clanton’s our first boss that doesn’t quite care about the whole honour of a quick draw. Instead he’d prefer to sit behind a gatling gun and riddle us with bullets. As a result this fight is pretty tough, we’ve got to duck between cover and run our way up to him. There are two ways to really deal with this fight, but both are pretty dangerous. One is to throw dynamite into his face and hope it explodes…but this carries the risk of the tnt being shot and exploding in your face, like I showed to one of his nearby men. The other method is just sneaking up behind Clanton and pumping him full of bullets. This has a problem that is actually pretty fascinating, in that in most FPS games the turret doesn’t have 360 degree turning. Well guess what in Gunslinger it does, so it’s entirely possible to get up behind Clanton, pop out…and get gatling gunned in the face like a punk. In the end I take the latter method, but I use my rifle instead of the six shooter, arguably making it take longer since the rifle is slower a weapon and I don’t know if it does any appreciable difference in damage. Finally, after shooting Clanton in the face a couple times, the old man dies. In history, this canyon was raided by an entire army of Rurales. Turns out it was just Silas. Someone got out of this alive, and the rest of Clanton’s gang thought it was one of the Earps…leading to one ofe the most famous gunfights in history. The Shootout at the OK Corral.

And that’s our episode. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you guys next time. We’re gonna be hunting Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo next time, so strap in for some intense fire fights.

Newman “Old Man” Clanton (yes, I’m serious) was the leader of the Cowboys gang. A father of four, Old Man Clanton was a surly sort. He actually intended to make an entire new town, but that failed to materialize and he went back to cattle ranching. Unfortunately, all the moving around that trying to make a town requires ended up having him brush up against the law…and having four sons didn’t help much. It didn’t help that they didn’t actually register themselves, given they were doing their cattle business (as profitable as it was) in a territory where you needed to register to be legal. It’s not really clear when the Cowboys formed, but given they typically stole cattle I’m thinking that’s one of the reason why the Clanton Ranch was as profitable as it was.

Honestly aside from the fact that he was the leader of an infamous gang of outlaws, and the fact that his nickname coincides in a funny way with his real first name, there isn’t much notable about Clanton. I’ve noticed from my researching on history of the Wild West that…it really isn’t all that elaborate or special. In a way it’s like how we view the period of history that Samurai are from. It wasn’t actually all that fancy, it was just humans being humans. But because we romanticize the time period, we romanticize then people. Thus we get to learning who Billy the Kid is, who Jessie James is, even though all they really did was murder people and steal things, which isn’t really even that notable. Though Billy the Kid’s escape was pretty cool, to be honest. But yeah, cowboys, like samurai, were just people, trying to make a living. Funny how that works, given cowboys are the western equivalence of samurai. But I can’t really blame people for doing this. I mean, Old Man Clanton was in TWO distinct and separate situations called “The Skeleton Canyon Massacre”. How do you NOT get excited about something named that? All that really happened is that the Cowboys (including all the named characters we heard of) shot a bunch of people to death (Rurales in the first Skeleton Canyon Massacre, mexican smugglers in the second) and then bragged about it tot people.

In reality, Old Man Clanton’s death was not so nearly as dramatic as the gatling gun makes it out to be. After ambushing some Mexicans in Guadeloupe Canyon, the Cowboys set down for the night. In the morning, the Mexican Rurales ambushed them, killing five as scattering the rest. Old Man Clanton was one of them, and he fell forward into the cookfire he was making breakfast on. A photo of the body was apparently sent to his sons, which is actually kinda messed up, with writing on the back. “Mr. Clanton killed on Aug 13—81 by Mexicans with 4 other Americans in Guadalupe Canon New Mexico”. This, and another photo of another Cowboy, is what increased the already hot tensions between the Cowboys and the Earps, which will eventually lead to the famous shootout, which I will talk more about next time.

1 Like

Pew pew, it’s Gunslinger time.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBIhS_9W0”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [4] The Dust Up At Iron Springs[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 15:41[/B]

In this episode, Silas Greaves resumes his hunt for the rest of the Cowboys gang, heading after Curly Bill Brocius and Johnny Ringo. It takes him to Iron Springs, specifically a nearby lumbermill, which I think is fantastic because there’s something about lumberyard type areas that just feel very “cool”. They tend to be in relatively lush forests so that looks nice, always have this kind of ramshackle feel, and it’s just a unique place to go to because video games rarely go to them. And it also provides us with cool environmental stuff to deal with enemies…though I’m not that good at realizing it, oops. That said, even without making perfect use of the environment, Silas is able to gun his way through the lumberyard fairly easily. It’s not the most difficult, combat wise, but it is fun.

Narrative wise, we get a few interesting scenes as well. The action pausing for a moment for our listeners to ask us…why didn’t any of Old Man Clanton’s sons take over the gang following his death? Well, in this case Silas is actually pretty correct. At least one of the Clanton boys got killed by the Earps so he can’t do it, and for the rest…they genuinely were just part of the gang because their Dad was. Of the Clantons, only the father was really invested in this, so once he died his sons didn’t really have any reason to join with it. Greaves calls this cowardice and stupidity…and I mean they’re people in the old west so maybe they were dumb that’s pretty likely honestly, but I wouldn’t exactly call “not taking over the deadly gang leader position” as being cowardly. We also get a fun moment where Silas…just tries to set the mood for how beautiful this place actually was, and I love it. Greaves has many skills, and “knowing how to tell a good story” is apparently one of them.

Gameplay wise, we get a new gun today! The sawed-off shotgun! This goes in the pistol weapon slot and…I mean, is exactly what you’d expect. It sure is a shotgun that’s smaller. In retrospect I should of stayed with the six-shooter and switched the RIFLE, buuut yeah, you win some you lose some. After gunning down most of his men, we finally reach Curly Bill, and our first real boss fight. Curly Bill isn’t honourable, he won’t duel us, so instead we’ve got to play a violent game of hide and seek with him through the lumberyard. He occasionally calls in men to help, but that’s really more a quick and easy way to refill on ammo for us. Curly Bill himself uses twin six-shooters, meaning he’ll shred you if you’re not careful, but he has a healthy respect for bullets and will run if you shoot him in the face. He’s quite dangerous, but if you’re tenacious and clever, you can deal with him pretty easily. After that, Silas then searches for Ringo for a couple months cause it turns out he’s not here, oops! We get into an actual duel here, and take him out, finally proving for a fact who it was that killed Johnny Ringo.

And that’s the episode! I mention trains at the end of this one but pssst I’m wrong no trains yet. Hope to see you guys next time though!

Now then, let’s talk about history. Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo, the two boys we took down today.

“Curly” William Brocius was basically your average outlaw of the era. I mean, I’m pretty sure the only reason he’s even relevant is due to being part of the Cowboys gang, which is then only really relevant because of the Shootout at the OK Corral. But there is one thing that makes ole Bill here stand out a little bit. Curly Bill got shot in the face and lived once! Jim Wallace, one of Billy’s Regulators and veteran of the Lincoln County War, was just kinda hanging out in town. He and Curly got into a bit of a verbal scrap due to Jim insulting one of Curly’s friends, and Brocius got real mad and just kinda demanded he apologize, and that he should totally kill him, and followed after him after Jim left the saloon. Feeling threatened, Jim shot Brocius in the face. Didn’t stick. During Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday’s Vendetta Ride, Wyatt shot Brocius in the chest with a shotgun. THAT stuck. Or did it? There are some minor rumours that he lived, including a few years later another Curly Bill Brocius being arrested for a minor crime, but there’s no reason to assume that’s not just a coincidence.

As for Johnny Ringo, he’s…actually got some intrigue to him. There’s no actual clear evidence if he was ever involved with the assassination of Morgan Earp or the Shootout at OK Corral, Ringo being more “the guy who was also there”. Maybe don’t be friends with a bunch of outlaws, even if you are one yourself I guess. Of course he was almost certainly involved with those two events, it’s just kinda funny to imagine he came along for moral support and never actually did anything. But what’s more interesting is that, like Silas says in game, no one actually knows who killed Johnny Ringo. His body was found slumped against a fence in Turkey Creek canyon, feet covered in strips of his shirt (because his horse likely got spooked by something and it had his boots attached to the saddle to avoid scorpions getting in) and a bullet hole in his right temple, going out the back of his head. No one came forward to claim the kill, so people to this day don’t know who did it. There are a few theories though. The most likely theory, assuming murder, is Wyatt Earp. He’s…the only one capable of and willing to just kill him, without any reason not to and with every reason to. Second we have Doc Holiday, which is an interesting theory and the one most movies tend to go with. Holiday DID have a few scuffles with Ringo back in town, and he WAS part of the Vendetta Ride. But it’s unlikely Holiday did it, as uh…Doc was wanted for murder in the place Ringo was killed and people find it hard to believe he’d risk being arrested for murder in a place where he’s already wanted for murder. That being said, it would explain why no one tried to claim Ringo’s bounty, his killer was kind of sort of wanted by the police at the time. The other two theories for murder are two people who have no connection to anything, which would be realistic in the sense that sometimes life just fucks you over, but are very unlikely. The final theory, and this one is ACTUALLY the most reasonable and most likely…is that it was suicide. What a tragic end to Johnny Ringo’s story. Outlaw or not, one day he just plugged himself in the brain. The newspaper, and the coroners, at the time all went with this theory, and as sad as it technically is, it’s probably the most accurate. Dang.

As an aside, in the other thread I post stuff, on another forum, a user is giving some really fascinating and cool posts on the gun history of the weapons used in this game. Anyone interested in me reposting them here? Cause they’re actually quite fascinating.

Yes.

Okay. I’ll post em all here and probably add em to op as well.

This is a…lot of information, by the way, so read at your own caution I guess? Thanks to ShneekeyTheLost from The Other Forum for this.

[details=Summary]> Okay, having gone back and watched the actual first episode, color me actually impressed.

The revolver, actually specifically the Colt .45 ‘Peacemaker’, was an iconic revolver because it was a very reliable piece that rarely broke down, maintenance was easy, speed-loaders made reloading very rapid for those skilled in the usage, very portable, and very good accuracy for a handgun.

This particular revolver was made specifically for the Civil War, as a primary sidearm, where it proved highly effective. But in 1894, when Colt came out with a .38 revolver that was double-action (no need to *pull the hammer back manually), the army switched to that, and thousands of .45 chambered Colt revolvers were sold to the civilian market. Which is why this particular revolver became so famous. There were lots of them, and it was a damn good gun.

And, for once, either by sheer accident or someone actually doing the research, 1910 is the perfect time to introduce a hero using said revolver, because that was the height of its usage in the ‘wild west’.

The rifle, judging from the fact that it is loaded from a ‘trapdoor’ instead of the stock, is probably either a Henry or the Winchester Model 1873. My bet’s on the latter, personally. This was the ‘rifle that won the west’, as it is touted, and one of the better repeaters out there. The Spencer packed a bigger punch and was ridiculously over-engineered for reliability, the Winchester had a higher rate of fire. Historically, it fired .44-40 rounds, rather than the .45 the Colt Revolver used, meaning ammo was not interchangeable between these two weapons. Having said that, these days, you can find replicas that do fire the .45.

And again, a very popular rifle in this time period. Oh, and don’t worry Zodi, there actually was a sighted version of the Model 1873 designed for sharpshooting. No scope, of course, but the ring sight was the best there was to offer in the Wild West era.

Of course, it could also be a Winchester Model 1876, which was chambered for .45 (albeit the .45-75 or .45-60) which also had a storied past, being issued to the Texas Rangers, and being the personal choice of the ever popular Theodore Roosevelt.

I also notice that in the window you were leaning out of, there was a double-barreled shotgun, which was quite a popular close-quarters weapon of choice.

The ‘ranger revolver’ is probably supposed to be a Colt Walker, the most powerful blackpowder repeating revolver ever made. Created by the combination of Texas Ranger Captain Walker (And yes, Chuck Norris stole the name from him when he did ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’, being one of the most famous Rangers in history, short of the ‘lone ranger’) and Samuel Colt (creator of aforementioned Peacemaker). While it used a slightly smaller .44 caliber round, the extended 9" barrel and better rifling gave it a previously unheard of 100’ range for a revolver. The gun used the very powerful .44-45 round, and was strong enough to take down a rider’s horse at close range. Later models reduced the barrel length down to a more reasonable 7.5" and reduced the amount of powder per cartridge due to a persistent problem with the cylinders rupturing due to poor metallurgy of the day. Then again, Colt told Walker that he shouldn’t put more than 50 grain of gunpowder in it, and Walker insisted on 60 grain, which was cut back to 50 when the Dragoon model came out.

It was known for accuracy and stopping power, albeit slower rate of fire than the Peacemaker. It also became an iconic representative of ‘no such thing as too much gun’ sort of weapon.

Now then, this shotgun was a little bit harder to identify, but since it called itself a ‘Whitney’, I’m betting it’s based on the Remington-Whitmore 1875 Double-Barreled Shotgun. Now, to give you an idea of the stopping power of this weapon, let’s say it’s loaded with double-ought buck. That means it is spraying out 18 pellets each as big as a .38 round. There’s a reason shotguns like this are occasionally known as ‘Hallsweepers’. Mind you, there’s a LOT of exaggeration about the size of the spread of a shotgun and the maximum range thereof, although the barrel length has a great deal to do with that. But this game seems to actually be fairly accurate that the spread is roughly the size of a soccer ball.

With two independent triggers, you could fire left or right barrel or both simultaneously, if you want. The break-forward breech-loading action was revolutionary for the day, and really helped shotguns come into their own in the Wild West.

Now, looking at the barrel length, it’s pretty clear that this shotgun is designed as what is now called a ‘Coach Gun’. You know the term ‘riding shotgun’? Yea, this is the gun that literally coined that phrase, although it didn’t turn up until about a decade after the setting we are in. Also known as a ‘Messenger Shotgun’, this is a general class of shotguns with a shorter 18"-24" barrel, typically double-barrel breech-loader, designed to be very handy on the tight quarters of the seat next to the driver. When you are bouncing around at a gallop trying to get away from the bad guys, loading’s a pure bi… er… pain in the neck, so you had to have something you could load quickly and easily, and a longer barrel would get in the way.

This was a HIGHLY effective weapon for what it was intended for: close-quarters mayhem. Mind you, the lack of range of a shotgun is something of a Hollywood myth, as is the size of the spread of a shotgun, but this is a weapon which could put down damn near anything from point-blank to around fifty to seventy five yards. The common tactic was to shoot at the horse, this gun was quite strong enough to cripple or kill a horse, regardless of where on the horse you hit it. This would cause the horse to tumble, taking the rider with it, and causing an obstacle for the guy behind HIM trying to get into said coach to deal with.

In the modern day, we have largely moved to pump-action and semi-auto shotguns which can accept magazines, but this is another iconic ‘Wild West’ weapon that I am glad made an appearance. If you claim that the Winchester '73 was the ‘gun that won the west’, this was the one that tied the west together by protecting the stagecoaches delivering mail (hence ‘messenger gun’) and other goods (see also: Wells Fargo).

On the topic of horses: I certainly agree with you that it is absolutely silly that he wouldn’t grab a horse to get out of there, however there IS actually some logic behind this.

First off, a guy on a horse is actually a surprisingly easy target to hit, and all you need to do is hit the horse and you are in for a bad tumble that could very well kill, or at least cripple, a man. Also, horse-stealing was Serious Business back then. In fact, to this day, in the state of Texas, it is customary at Western Riding events to have a noose looped over the front of each stall, because the law was: If a man tries to steal your horse, you are within your rights to hang him from the nearest tree’. This is because leaving a man stranded with no means of transportation was considered to be essentially a slow and torturous death sentence, considering how few and far between fresh water sources were.

Fun fact: this is actually where Texas laws concerning car theft and even auto repossession are based on.

Another note about the shotgun:

Unlike the Colt .45 ‘Peacemaker’ or the Winchester '73 repeating rifle, it wasn’t the particular model that was so famous, it was the class of weapon. There were many different types of shotguns all built to roughly the same design: a shotgun that was mobile and could quickly and easily be fired from a bouncing stagecoach seat while perched precariously less than two feet from the pounding hooves of the horses pulling said stagecoach.

Unlike the '73, which was a precision instrument that required a high degree of quality control, a shotgun is far more simple, but by no means ‘elegant’, weapon. It is a smoothbore weapon, meaning no rifling in the barrel, which made it FAR easier to produce en masse, with far looser quality control checks. Because let’s face it, your target is going to probably be close enough that you can smell his halitosis. At that range, picking off dimes at extreme range is unnecessary. You just need to put a cloud of buckshot where the bad guy is going to be in a moment. Which means there were a whole LOT of people making them, and a whole LOT of people buying them. And they were much less expensive than the '73 or the Colt .45 was.

The Coach Gun in general, however, was an iconic weapon of the era, to the point that if you look at the Wells Fargo logo, you can still see the driver, and the fellow next to him with this shotgun, as a mark of pride at their ability to run loads of gold through some of the most lawless treks of land to carve a name for themselves in the financial industry which stands firm even to this day.

The Apache having a gun, rather than a bow and arrow, is quite accurate by this time, they had largely converted from archery to the repeating rifle. In fact, they also preferred the Winchesters, and the famous Geronimo himself was found with a Winchester 1876 in his hand. Also used by Teddy Roosevelt, it was the .45 cal rifle of choice for many. I suppose this one used a '73 like you did for the ammo to be interchangeable, which is easy enough to assume, given the apache itself literally fell out of nowhere.

And now, the Gatling Gun.

Now, a fellah like that actually owning a Gatling Gun stretches believability to the point of incredulity. Unlike the '73 and the Colt .45, which were being surplussed out to the civilian market in job lots after the Civil War was over, these babies were still strictly military hardware at this point. It would be the equivalent of someone in the modern day owning an M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun. But, considering the sort of story we’re listening to, I’m willing to hand-wave that little point in favor of Rule of Cool.

The next point is that this is really a crew-served weapon, meaning you need more than one person to operate it effectively. You’ve got one on the crank, one doing the reloads, and one communicating with your forward observers to aim the damn thing. However, for purposes of this story, let’s go ahead and assume that the delays are because he is reloading himself.

Now, the Gatling Gun fired all up 45-70 Gov’t rounds, much like the Winchester '76 did. Hand cranked, so it technically wasn’t a fully-automatic machine gun, this was the next-best thing, and it tore chunks out of formations which were the norm at the time, as armies still went to Napoleonic tactics clear up to WW I, where the machine gun put a definitive end to massed infantry formations in a very bloody manner.

While good at putting lots of lead downrange, accuracy against individual targets sucked, especially not without a forward observer working with you. And with all that cover? It was as good a place as the hero could find to take on a weapon like that. It was used effectively in the Civil War at the Siege of St. Petersburg, and were also mounted on naval ships, but it really wasn’t used all that much by the American military until after the Civil War was over and the concept was proved to them.

Famously, General Custer explicitly did NOT take his Gatling Guns with him as they would ‘slow him down’ (they could be hitched to a horse to have roughly the same speed as a stagecoach, so I don’t know why he thought they would slow him down all that much, but the man was never known for rationality) to his now infamous Last Stand at Little Bighorn. Had he done so, it might’ve turned out a bit differently, or at least made them pay more for it.

Okay, let’s talk about the category of weapons generally known as a ‘sawed off shotgun’. Now they fall under the category of SBS (Short Barreled Shotguns) and are illegal to own in most jurisdictions, because they’re too easy to conceal and too lethal in close quarters. And to understand why, we need to get into just a little bit of science. Not much, I promise, and this is the fun ‘blow things up’ kind of science, not the boring ‘yadda yadda yadda’ kind.

Now, first off, the barrel of a gun is really important in several ways, especially back then. You see, the bullet takes off because you’ve got gunpowder, which burns hot and fast, compressed behind the lead slug. So, as the burning exothermic reaction causes expansion, that expansion is what pushes the bullet forward. Now, in a rifle, this is important, because this is also what causes it to engage the rifling grooves around the barrel, but even in a smoothbore, the longer the barrel, the more of the powder burns, and the more power you get at the end of the muzzle, and the more accurate it is going to be. Particularly with a shotgun, a longer barrel means you have less spread.

With a sawed-off shotgun, you’ve got more spread, and slightly less power. However, make no mistake, anyone trying to use one as a pistol is going to end up with a broken wrist or arm, because no man born on earth is going to be able to handle the recoil from that bad boy without a second hand and some kind of brace. Having said that, you can conceal one quite readily under that duster, making it a surprise weapon. I notice that they are using a double-barreled sawed off shotgun, which I suppose is not entirely out of the question, but unusual.

Basically, this thing is designed for Close Quarters Combat, with an optimal range out to about twenty five or thirty five yards tops. It is slow, clumsy, break-action, and hard to aim when compared to something like a Peacemaker, but there is absolutely zero chance that anyone hit by one in center of mass is ever going to get up again, particularly in THAT day and age with the medical assistance available to them.

The ‘pistol grip’ sawed off shotgun does exist, but they’re significantly harder to handle the recoil with, and far less common because they’d need to be made custom. A classic ‘sawed off shotgun’ is just that: a shotgun that had six inches to a foot of the barrel literally sawed off, which means it’s still got its stock and grip.

tl;dr version: The way he used that weapon was completely impossible by modern physics. You don’t use a SBS like you do a handgun, unless you’re built even bigger than Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yes, they exist, yes they were relatively common in that day and age, but they were never used as pistols by any stretch of the imagination. They were used much the same way a rifle or regular shotgun was used, just in tighter quarters and more easily concealed. This is the least realistic weapon our hero uses, by a good margin.[/details]

1 Like

Wandering on the lonely fields of the desert, it arrives. Another Gunslinger update.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8tY_gPiKE”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslsinger [5] The Last Stand of the Innocents[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 19:23[/B]

After turning in the bounties for Curly Bill and Ringo, Silas realized “hey wow killing people for money is profitable actually!” and decided to stay on as a bounty hunter for awhile. Which leads him to where he’s going today. An old gold mine, currently being used by Henry Plummer and his gang, the Innocents. All of this was to fund Greave’s quest for revenge of course, but he’s nothing if not a hard worker. This is another pretty cool set piece, I feel. Maybe not as unique as the lumber mill, but it’s certainly got a cool feel to it. High rising scaffolding, tight and twisting tunnels, minecarts scattered about. And of course, given that it’s a mine, barrels of explosives almost everywhere. This is a pretty dangerous place to have a fire fight, but Silas isn’t one to care about stuff like that.

For this level I’m using the akimbo skill to use two six shooters, and it’s pretty fun actually. Unlike most FPS games, where dual wielding like this means you can’t aim and each mouse button fires the guns individually, Silas just rapidly fires if you press the regular ole fire button, and he can actually aim. It feels a lot better then dual wielding in FPSes usually does, and it really helps sell the feeling that Silas is just quickshooting everything. It feels cool.

Narratively, we get another pretty fantastic bit of screwery. About mid way through the mines, Greaves realizes he’s got two paths to go on. Climb along the scaffolding to take a longer, but safer, route…or go through the mines to cut directly to his destination, which will save him time, but be quite dangerous. A bridge literally falls in place to allow us to do the latter, and Silas ops in. After all…sure, it’s not as safe, but it’s FASTER and more exciting. So we shoot our way through the twisting, maze like mines…until we find ourselves in a room full of nothing but gunpowder! Uh oh. Carefully making our way through, we get ambushed by a dude firing a killing shot. We dodge out of the way, casually headshotting the man in revenge and…the bullet is heading for the TNT. Uh oh. It explodes fantastically and we run, run like hell is on our heels because it is, and leap from the mines, quick firing like five guys in mid air! We fall in the water far below…and then a mine cart falls on our head, taking us out. To which Greaves then says, man it’s a good thing I abandoned that stupid plan before even going into the mine. It’d be way to dangerous.

It’s a very simple thing, but the fact that that entire sequence was just Silas talking about a theoretical situation, how going about that path MIGHT end up, is fantastic. It really reminds you that, regardless of this story being true or not (Silas actually gets a fact wrong in this video, or at least muddled, for instance, which is suspicious) what we’re seeing on screen is NOT true. Because it’s just the imagery that he’s describing with his story. It’s fantastic and I love it, and rest assured they’re going to give us more and more stuff like this as we go. So Silas actually goes across the scaffolding, and eventually makes his way to Henry Plummer.

Plummer’s boss fight is interesting. He runs around the ring of the pit you’re in, throwing TNT that you can shoot down, occasionally summons guys to help shoot you to pieces, and takes a lot of punishment to take out. It’s not the most exciting or elaborate boss, and given Plummer’s design is fantastic looking I’d of loved to get a close up while dueling. But not everyone’s gonna go down in a fair fight you know, and I appreciate it. Gotta have some variety. After a hard fought and explosive battle, we take out Plummer and get a sizeable bounty for him and his so called Innocents.

And that’s the video. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you guys next time for another pretty good one, I think. For now, let’s dip into history to learn the truth (as much as we can anyway) about Henry Plummer.

So, history talk, and this is an…interesting one. Turns out Henry Plummer and his gang of gold thieves are a bit…controversial? It’s like this. Henry Plummer killed around 8 people…though most were in self defense. That said, his little gang DID steal gold…though they tried not to shoot people. But, given Plummer WAS a sheriff, this made people pretty upset, and gave rise to the Vigilance Committee, a group of vigilantes who wanted to see justice be done. Unfortunately…there’s some issues here. For one, the Innocents wasn’t a very large gang, according to most historical sources. And again, they didn’t really hurt people, they just stole gold. Yeah, that’s a pretty serious crime, but consider Clanton’s gang of cow thieves that murdered basically everyone they met. But there is one source that says the Innocents had “hundreds of men” and “hundreds of murders” and that source is…the Vigilance Committee. And like hey, maybe back then they had more access to the information. Given how rumour filled the west is though…maybe not. Especially given how the VC went about things.

Cause you see, the VC was kinda…real bad? Like, a lot. They captured the Innocents and took them to town and hung them all at night, without a trial. This was pretty weird, since…everyone deserves a trial and hanging people in the middle of night is considered bad form. Worse, they hung them not through the drop method, but by lifting the nooses, essentially strangling the Innocents and Plummer to death, very painfully. That seems a bit much. And the VC went on to basically terrorize the county, strangling people to death without trial and generally being pretty awful an example of frontier justice. And then a 17 year old was like “hey maybe Plummer didn’t actually deserve to be hung like that” and so then VC strangled him to death. So yeah, there’s…that’s a thing. Fun fact, later on people would hold a posthumous trial for Plummer, and the jury…ended up stalemated. He would of been free of all charges. Stuff like this is what makes this period of history hard to go through. So many rumours, so many tall tales and lies, and it’s sometimes unclear who is good and who is bad. Being a historian is pretty tough yo.

You can switch between typical FPS dual wielding and this game’s version in the options.

Huh, that’s not a thing I knew.

Hi-ho silver, away!

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ZOb5fists”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [6] The Shootout of Abiline[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 12:43[/B]

In this episode, Silas goes after one of the faster guns in the west, a veritable legend of the West, and this time a legitimate one. John Wesley Hardin, a man who killed 27 men, though he claims to have killed 42. Of note, this level takes place in…Abiline, the place where we’re telling the story! In fact, the duel with Hardin takes place in the same pub, too. But of course, Greaves is getting ahead of himself. So we rewind to outside of town, showing Greaves getting his way into town. Silas is really only here because he thinks Bob is here, and everyone in his way is gonna get a bullet through the face.

Gameplay wise, the game’s starting to ramp up in terms of difficulty. Lotta guys to shoot apart, and a lot of interesting situations to deal with environment wise. The slanted cliff face, the camp of outlaws, it’s actually pretty cool and shows that even with a basic gameplay system you can have a fun, exciting game with the right kind of encounter design. It helps that we’re also given our last, I believe, gun to use. The Quickshooter, a revolver that we reload all the bullets of in one go, that fires VERY fast. It’s not as strong as the basic six-shooter, but it’s speed is impressive and it really makes you feel like a badass when you use it. Also, due to rewinding time a bit, we get to experience the bar fight in two very different ways, and that’s fascinating. First walking in on all the enemies being pre-dead, then busting our way in and taking them out ourselves. It’s pretty awesome, and cool to play.

And then we have the duel with John Wesley Hardin. Hardin is, as the game implies, VERY fast. This is in a way part tutorial part skill check, because this is where the duels start becoming serious. We gain the ability to dodge bullets in gunfights, and it’s quite stylish, if difficult, to pull off. The idea of the gunfight with Hardin is that we need to dodge all his shots, or get a bullet at him to force the story to pause because uh, we take Hardin in alive. I would of tried to dodge all his shots but it’s…quite a difficult thing, and it just feels silly NOT to fire on him when you can get a good shot in. Regardless, we take in the drunk Hardin, and a few years later after his jail time he gets shoot in the back. So it goes.

With that, we end our little adventure in Abiline, though not the story itself. I hope you all enjoyed, and I’ll see you guys next time.

So, John Wesley Hardin. A legend in his own right. He said he killed 42 men, one for snoring and 40 more for breathing. In reality, he only killed 27 men…which I mean let’s be fair here, this is an absurd amount of confirmed kills by him, the most prolific serial killer is in his 30s when it comes to victims. To actually have killed 27 people in this day and age is impressive, if horrible. Of note, his first kill did happen when he was 15. He challenged Major “Maje” Holshousen, a former slave of his uncle turned sheriff, to a wrestling match. He won, and according to Hardin the next day Maje came at him with a stick and he had to shoot him five times. Given his autobiography also says he drew faster on Wild Bill and says a lot of other outlandish stuff, I’m guessing this isn’t exactly how it went down. Especially since his father urged him to leave the state, since the Union controlled the state and many of the cops where former slaves. He was afraid Hardin would be tried “improperly” which…is silly.

At any rate, this is how Hardin became the outlaw that he is today. He’d later go on to meet Wild Bill, in a…pretty hilarious story, actually, especially in relation to the bar we’re telling this story in. The owners of the bar, to advertise it, drew a bull with a very large penis on a sign and hung it up outside the bar. It WAS called the Bull’s Head, after all. People where, understandably, annoyed by this and told Wild Bill, who took it down. The owners tried really hard to get Hardin to kill Bill for this, but Bill was not gonna do it. He seemed to have respect for the wild sheriff, and said that if they wanted to kill him they should probably do it themselves. The two confronted each other, Bill beating him in a drawing contest, and Hardin surrendered his guns. This actually worked out well for Hardin, since, according to him at least, this made them good friends. It did in Hardin’s mind anyway.

Unfortunately it was not to last, nor was Hardin’s time in Abiline. One day, he and some friends where getting rowdy and having a few drinks. One of the three turns in for the night while the others continue on…and much to Hardin’s chagrin, begins to snore. Yes, I’m serious, this is going where you think it is. Hardin, drunk and angry at the noise, shoots through the door and kills his friend for the crime of snoring too loud. It was likely not intentional on his part, but the sobering realization that he broke the law (shooting a weapon in city limits was a crime, beyond the fact that he just murdered a man) made him realize that he should…leave. Thus he gained the reputation of a man so cruel, he’d kill a man for snoring. He’d later enjoy using said story as a way to brag, playing down his legend while also confirming it. “A lot of people say I killed six or seven men for snoring. I can tell you that’s a lie. I only killed one.”. Later on, in his before mentioned ridiculous autobiography that is full of lies, he completely changed the date and events of this story. From a friend who annoyed him, to a burglar that stabbed him with a knife and stole his pants. Somehow this was supposed to make him look better.

Eventually, Hardin would be caught, his gun getting caught in his suspenders when he tried to draw it. He claimed that he was just smoking, and the Ranger only found his gun under his shirt after the fact, but given his reputation and the witnesses, he was convicted and sentenced to jail. He’d get out 14 years later, and was eventually shot in the back like Silas says.

Awoo, it’s update time.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WClRPVgtgo”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [7] The Hunt For Gray Wolf[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 18:43[/B]

In this episode, we have to deal with the fact that in game this is in the 1900s. So there’s gonna be a lot of vaguely racist terms thrown around, plus some…clearly “tilted” information from our good friend Silas here. At any rate, our job today is to hunt the renegade Apache warrior Gray Wolf. This takes us to a time long, long ago, on a mountain far, far away. The Indian War rages, and Silas’s quest for revenge (and for money to get his revenge) leads him here. He stalks Gray Wolf through the woods to a cavern, and fights his way through the cave system until he gets to a large pool, where Gray Wolf tells him a story. A prophecy, perhaps. Greaves doesn’t know, he didn’t care back then, and he can’t remember all the details now. Greaves escapes the ambush only to find himself in another ambush, and though he tried his best, Gray Wolf escapes with his life.

From a narrative standpoint this level is where things really start to change. The audience for Silas’s story are settling into their viewpoints (Ben is amused, Dwight enthralled, Jack incredulous) and the stories start getting a little…stranger. They were already strange, and had some great on screen representations of plot contrivances and lucky breaks, but we’re now at the point where it’s going to get pushed further. Given I’m pretty sure all the actual information said in this episode is accurate, just from the lens of someone who doesn’t understand, it’s also going to be harder to tell just what is and isn’t true anymore. The story is getting more twisted. We’re hit the half way point of the game, and there’s no turning back now.

Gameplay wise this level is actually pretty difficult. The Apache all use rifles, which are pretty strong and rather accurate. As mentioned in previous episodes, the Apache love to attack from on high in ambushes, and this level plays this to the ear, giving the Apache highground at every opportunity, looming over us like specters of death itself. But we’re able to pull through, and end with a pretty fun chase scene where we try to pursue Gray Wolf, only for him to slip from our grasp. And of course, the dream sequence is fantastic, permanently in concentration as he tells us of how we will kill a great many men, and how we must do well to avoid the poison of snakes. It’s fantastic, and a sign that Gunslinger is stepping up to the plate now that we’re half way through the game.

And that’s the episode, hope you all enjoyed. Next time is legitimately one of my favorite episodes, so I hope to see you guys there.

So, historically, there was never an Apache leader called Gray Wolf. That should be obvious. But that’s not to say there WASN’T a Gray Wolf in history. George Crook, a US military general who served in the Civil War, was put forward as one of the tactical minds needed to face off against Geronimo in the Indian War, a massive conflict where the native american people of America finally ganged together to fight back against the people who constantly killed them without much rhyme or reason. George Crook, for his part, tried his best to settle things peacefully, and actually succeeded at forcing a peaceful surrender from Geronimo…the first time. Then a US soldier leaked to Geronimo that they were all going to have some great harm done to them so Geronimo ran off. The second surrender of the indigenous forces was less peaceful, though for his part George Crook did his best to minimize the damage.

Then of course, the government put the Apache warriors in jail. But they also put the Apache that had joined the state and helped defeat Geronimo and the other leaders during the Indian War in jail too, because nothing says you’re the good guys like a swift knife in the back of the ole rib cage. George Crook was furious about this and did his best to prevent it from happening, though I don’t believe he succeeded. But his actions would get him called by the Apache “Gray Wolf”. Of him they said “He, at least, did not lie to us. He gave us hope.”

It’s time for a fun story about some dumb brothers.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJ828IcGmI”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [8] The Coffeyville Incident[/URL][/B]

[B]Video Length: 12:25[/B]

In this episode, Dwight incites Silas to tell them all the story of the Dalton gang, a gang of three brothers (and some minor other dudes) who were fairly successful, if lowkey, train robbers. But before Silas can tell his story, good ole Ben speaks up. He was there when the boys tried to show the world how great they were, so he tells us HIS version of the story. The Dalton’s where a bunch of idiots that tried to rob two banks on the same street right next to each other in the town they were born and raised and currently lived, where everyone recognized them by sight even with disguises on. The town gathered up it’s guns and went in guns blazing, kicking down the door and gunning them all down. But Dwight interrupts as it ends, saying that his dime novels tell a much more elaborate tale. Silas was there, with the rangers that were trying to stop the robbery. After shooting into the bank a bit, the grizzled bounty hunter snuck behind the bank, got onto the roof, and ambushed the men inside, taking the barn from a surprising angle, until he finally gets to the same room the Dalton’s where hiding in Ben’s story, kicking the door down, and shooting the brothers to pieces.

Of course, once all that’s said and done, Silas says his story is far different from all of those, and we start the level over for a third time. This entire sequence is one of my favorite, and in terms of sheer play, this is mechanically probably my favorite level. The first story from Ben is simple, has very few enemies (it in fact has the realistic number of gang members in the Dalton Gang) and ends quickly, but decisively, in two Concentration gun fights that feel pretty cool. Dwight’s, in a way that I honestly have difficulty describing, FEELS like an action movie. Giving you then quickshooters helps sell this experience, his narration makes it feel a lot more pumped up and exciting, and the ambushing the gang from the roof top entrance has this real feel of adventure. It genuinely feels like a pumped up version of Ben’s original story, to make it work better for a novel. And then we get Silas’s version of the story. It’s more drawn out, with the Dalton’s escaping the bank. We get the idea that this town is full of family feuds just waiting to erupt into chaos and the Dalton’s tipped over a barrel of explosives in robbing this bank.

After shooting his way through town, it ends with a climactic battle against Emmett Dalton, the youngest of the Daltons, wielding a cruel and powerful shotgun. He’s protecting his brothers escape, and he does a good job of it. The other two get away, but Silas takes him out. Of course, the audience points out…Emmett SURVIVED the fighting. Got shot 23 times and lived, and Greaves just points out that clearly, someone had to put those holes in him. It was me. And that’s patently ridiculous of cour-wait no the real Emmett Dalton did actually survive 23 gunshot wounds during this misguided robbery. More on that below the cut.

So yeah, that’s the episode! It’s really fun to play, and is kind of like the quintessential level for me, and it does some real fun stuff with the narrative. Next episode does some fun stuff with it too, so I hope to see you guys there for the next one.

So, the Dalton brothers. Minor train robbers who’s leader was certain, absolutely CERTAIN, that if he just mustered up the cajonnes to do it, he could outmatch Jessie James. Given Jessie James is a literal living breathing legend, that’s a lofty claim. But one day, he decided to do it. They’d match, or exceed, the great James. He once robbed two banks in the same town in broad daylight, but they’d one up him! They’d rob two banks RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

The boys got in and told the bank teller they were robbing it. The teller said that the safe was on a 45 minute lock timer and thus could not be opened. The Dalton brothers…proceeded to shrug and waited 45 minutes, during which the teller got word out that the Dalton boys were robbing the banks. Basically everyone in town with a gun got theirs and just kinda waited outside the bank. Eventually the Dalton’s left…upon which the entire town opened fire. Basically everyone was killed in the fire fight, though Emmett managed to run away the most, getting shot in the shoulder, hips, legs, and finally some buckshot slamming into his back. By the end of the day he was covered in 23 bullet wounds, and given the state of medicine at the time miraculously survived. He’d later go on to be an actor and house retailor, gaining relatively good wealth off both that, and stories of that faithful day he and his brothers kinda became the dumbest people in the west.

Of course, I kid on that dumbest part. While yes, what they did was INCREDIBLY stupid, they didn’t have much of a choice. Two of the brothers had been acting as Sheriff’s, but they were receiving heavy abuse from the ranger in charge of them, for little to no pay that arrived either late, or not at all. Of course the brothers would turn to robbery. Their plan was to rob the two banks in Coffeyville and escape to some other state, to live in luxury. But in the end, the brothers were slain. So it goes.

Onwards, to more Gunslinger.

[B][URL=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MND6G3KgwrM”]Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger [9] Adventures in Swamp Town.[/URL][/B]

[B]17:37[/B]

In this episode, Silas and a posse of people are going after the remaining Dalton brothers! Finally, we have an army on our side for once. Except we quickly lose them in the harsh autumn fog, the swamp thick with muck. We’re in a little bit of a maze here, so navigating will be tricky. Especially given that movement is quite heavily reduced in swamps. Quickly finding himself alone and outgunned by the Dalton’s hanger-ons and cousins, he fights valiantly in pursuit of his targets. Building’s appear out of thin air due to the harsh mist blocking our sight, and we can get ambushed at basically any moment. This is the game finally putting away the kid gloves. In both mechanics, and story.

Fighting his way through the swamp, Silas comes to realize that old man Steve is falling asleep! In response to this, sudden random Apache attack! They blink out of existence as fast as they appeared, because after all that’s not real, it’s just something Silas said to “see if Steve is paying attention”. This is, again, one of those things that could never happen in a regular, structured game. You need a narrative like Gunslinger’s to even begin to approach doing stuff like that. But it’s hilarious and I love it…and to make extra sure WE are paying attention, it ends with a dramatic comment about the importance of brother-hood. That feels like it’ll be called back.

Finally, of course, we hit the major set piece of the level, and one of then most infamous and well known parts of the game, I feel. A god damn steamboat in the middle of the swamp. It must of been brought in by the floods. A massive river ferry that we’ve got to climb aboard and fight our way through. It doesn’t last for long, but it’s rad as hell. At the top of the boat we finally meet up with our vigilante friends…only for them to reveal it was a clever ruse, they were Dalton’s allies! They knock us out and set the boat on fire, and Silas has to escape. It’s not that tough an escape, though there is a chance of dying due to touching the flaming walls or obstacles. But I don’t think, due to smoke inhalation, Silas is able to quite accurately tell how this story went. And much to his chagrin, the audience has started chatting about, of all things, OF ALL THINGS, the TITANIC. This is hilarious. Finally, we get attention back to our story, and spend about a solid minute using the gatling gun on the boat to get revenge on the vigilantes. And likely on the listeners in the bar too, given they had to sit through this part of the story. Once the dust settled, it was time to duel the two Daltons. A 2v1 draw, but the taller of the two is quite slow on the draw, so if you manage your speed you can easily take out the smaller one to defend yourself, and then the taller one to win.

And so ends the Dalton brothers, doof ass criminals of the west. Next time…we’re gonna get a bit more dramatic. Hope to see you guys there.

Well, we don’t got no cowboys to talk about today, so let’s talk boat.

The RMS Titanic was, as you are all no doubt aware, one of the largest ships to ever exist, and largest period at the time of it’s launching. A mighty vessel, it was so larger it had an internal radiotelegraph system just to communicate things. It’s life boat numbers was severally under it’s passenger capacity due to an outdated maritime law. But this shouldn’t be too bad, right? After all, it was also one of the most advanced ships in the world at the time. It was designed with such specifications, people called it unsinkable.

And, unfortunately, as I’ve been sort of beating around the bush with fruitlessly as everyone already knows this, the Titanic sank in one of the most maritime disasters in history. A tragic loss of life that finally made people decide “hey we should make it so that boats have lifeboats equal to the amount of people on board”. It’s tragic, but I guess sometimes bad things have to happen to get good things to happen. But let’s not dwell on that, and instead think of the legend. This is a story about what may or may not be a tall tale, after all. There’s a legend that the band on the Titanic kept playing throughout the sinking. Now, that is clearly not a thing that happened and- wait what. What. According to all information I can find, there’s…100% confirmation from every survivor who could of heard it that yes, the band did keep playing, to their deaths. The only argument is on what song they played, or if they were just playing in general to keep spirits up while people ran to escape.

Sometimes history is weird, and learning that there’s no evidence that says they DIDN’T play until they died is one of those times where the truth really is stranger than fiction.

The gatling gun is definitely Silas getting revenge for his audience talking about the Titanic.

1 Like