You see that Zach? LP... in the coffee - Let's Play Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut

Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut is a 2013 HD upgrade of the “Most Critically Polarizing survival horror game ever made” Deadly Premonition.

The game follows the eccentric FBI Agent Coop Francis York Morgan with his imaginary friend “Zach” as he investigates the grisly murder of the popular Laur Anna Graham in the small town logging town of Twin P Greenvale.

Despite being released on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (in Japan) the game had Playstation 2 era graphics and and outdated control scheme. But what Deadly Premonition lacked in the technical department it made up for it in spades with its endearing characters and charming dialogue with an engaging yet strange story that’s a bizarre mix of drama, horror, and comedy wrapped in an earworm of a tune you’ll find yourself humming days on end.

Deadly Premonition originally released in North America as a $20 budget title on February 23, 2010 with little fanfare and less than stellar initial reviews. One of the first and most infamous was IGN’s review that completely trashed Deadly Premonition for its horrible controls and low-res graphics:

"Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you’ll want to go sell your system” - Erik Brudvig, IGN (2/10)

So yeah, IGN a Deadly Premonition fan? Not so much…

With such a horrible early reception from critics it seemed Deadly Premonition was destined to fade into obscurity within retailer $5 bargain bins around the country. Hell, even SWERY, the game’s writer and director who fought a long and hard to get the game developed, began to wonder if his six year fight to get the game published was even worth it:

“I spent six years pushing past all these problems, and then soon after we released, I saw these first very negative reviews. I was shocked. I thought that the people who had tried to cancel the game might have been right.” - Hidetaka “SWERY” Suehiro, 2013 polygon.com interview

Luckily the tide turned in the game’s favor when prominent game critics won over by the game’s charms rallied to the game’s defense. Jim Sterling over on Destructoid gave the game a glowing review in spite of the game’s glaring technical flaws and awarded Deadly Premonition with a perfect score:

Deadly Premonition is THE greatest game ever made” - Jim Sterling, Destructoid (10/10)

The disparity between IGN and Destructoid’s review scores soon piqued general interest with those previously unaware of Deadly Premonition’s existence. The disconnect even inspired the Giant Bomb crew to make Deadly Premonition the subject of their popular Endurance Run video series in April 2010 which helped the game amass a large online fan following.

By the end of 2010 Deadly Premonition had officially become a beloved “cult classic” and even won several year-end awards including “Game of the Year” from GameCritics.com, “Most Surprisingly Good Game” from GameSpot, “Best Worst Game” from GamesRadar, and “Best Cult Game” from Gamasutra.

Two years later a HD re-release of the game was announced with much excitement with a promise to fix some of the game’s biggest gameplay issues. On April 30, 2013 Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut, released in North America with upgraded graphics, re-designed controls, with new cutscenes and DLC but unfortunately the technical issues with the game persisted.

To the disappointment of many the re-release ran worse than the original game with massive framerate drops and for some players suffered frequent game crashes. Sadly Access Games never issued a patch for these problems and the issues with the Playstation 3 Director’s Cut release persist to this day.

Despite the known issues plaguing the Director’s Cut console release a PC port was quickly Greenlit on Steam in July, 2013 and released just a few months later on Halloween. Fans hoping for a less buggy experience were severely disappointed once again when they not only found the port not only locked at 720p but completely unplayable on some PC systems as well.

It was a shoddy port to say the least but luckily Peter “Durante” Thoman swooped in and provided a mod that not only made it possible to manually adjust the game’s resolution but also made game more stable and less prone to crashing with little to no framerate drops.

Even with the Durante’s mod there were still some lingering issues with the PC port but fortunately in the months since the game’s release a variety of workarounds for most of the glaring issues has been discovered to get the game to run smoothly.

Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut does take some work but to get it to run smoothly on your PC with the mod and workarounds but it is by far the best way to experience the game with its extra content, high resolution and more stable framerates.

I’m still somewhat of a newbie at making Let’s Plays but I’m no stranger to the wonderful world of Deadly Premonition. I’ve been a huge fan of the game since 2010 and I love it so much that I even run a large fan site for the game called Welcome to Greenvale.

I had recorded a 100% completion run of the original game years ago but the recording quality was terrible and it ended up not being as comprehensive as I hoped it was going to be at the time.

I completed all the side missions and found all the secret collectibles and weapons but in the years since I’ve realized I barely scratched the surface of what Deadly Premonition truly had to offer.

The developers put a lot of work into making Greenvale a living breathing town. Each resident has their own schedules and character interactions independent of the main story and these moments are easily missed if a player does not go out of their way to find them.

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making a more in-depth run showing more of these optional interactions and the easily missed details for a quite while now. I figured since the Director’s Cut has some graphical improvements and extra content, it would be the perfect version to record and discuss.

So if you are looking for an informative 100% completion run that will discuss the game’s development and secrets from a fan who’s put waaaay too many hours into the game then this Let’s Play series is for you!

I don’t mind spoiler discussions within the thread as I realize that a lot of people have already played or at least watched an LP of the game in the past but please keep these discussion under a spoiler tag to not ruin any surprises for anyone who might be new to the story. :slight_smile:

I also welcome any questions or comments you may have about the game or the LP. I’ll be recording and uploading as I go so I’ll be able to address anything you guys may bring up between the updates in the next video.

(Even though I’m playing the the PC version of the game I’ve decided to keep the game resolution at 720p to cut down on the file size of the videos recorded and to prevent my computer from choking while editing footage.)

14 Likes

you know I first got deadly premonition on a whim, I was shopping for a new horror game when at a game store I found silent hill origins. having heard nothing of it and being a huge silent hill fan I picked it up and began making my way to the front. That’s when I saw Deadly Premonition. I knew nothing about this game, it was being sold for like 30 bucks, I don’t know why but in a spur of the moment gamble I dropped silent hill and picked up DP.
And that was a great moment in gaming history.

1 Like

That first video is crisp as a clear spring morning!

1 Like

my coffee said this would be a great LP to follow

1 Like

I love the aesthetics of SWERY’s games. His brand of weirdness is just so charming. He also does main characters pretty well, at least in this game and D4. Of course, it helps that York is inspired by Dale Cooper, but York himself has a lot of his own mannerisms that I love.

I’m still not entirely sure about the scenes they added in the Director’s Cut version. Giving the narrative that sort of frame seems pretty unnecessary, considering how most of the game plays.

1 Like

Sir Francis York Morgan,
Please take a gander at this LP
It’s going to be great, just wait and see
So says Mr. Stewart.

Man, been a while since I’ve thought about this game.

1 Like

Nice to see this LP show up on the Zone!

I’m currently running a D4 LP (another game by Swery) on here as well, and watching the beginning of Deadly Premonition, I had forgotten just how similar these two games are. There are times when DP feels like the stepping stone that made D4 what it is, so I’ll probably post the similarities the games share as the thread goes on.

There are also a few Deadly Premonition references in D4 that I’ll be sure to share!

Like this, in the bathtub in the main bathroom of David’s apartment in D4, there’s a suspicious baggie of something pretty familiar-looking…

1 Like

York is seriously my favorite video game protagonist of all time :smiley:

Regarding the extra scenes…I actually planned to mention SWERY’S reasons for them in the next video but basically SWERY said in a Revision3 interview that people complained that the game was “hard to follow” especially since it started in a bizarre way so the new intro was added to help ease the players in or something. I don’t really see how a little girl beings surprised her grandfather watched movies with grandma helps unravel a murder mystery though…

Oh that’s awesome! :heart_eyes: I haven’t played D4 yet (I was waiting for all the episodes to come out which isn’t happening anymore :sob: ) so I will definitely being watching your LP. I’m really interested in seeing the nods to DP the only one I know at the moment is all I know is that there’s a character named Kaysen in that game as well

I AM AGGRESSIVELY INTERESTED IN THIS LP.

This game is a flawed mess (the sound mixing for the breakfast scene with Polly in the original release comes to mind, bless it), but it holds such a special place in my heart. I’ve been wanting to see a freakishly thorough 100% run of the Director’s Cut, so I’m super excited to see this LP develop!
Yes!
Thank you!

1 Like

I was under the impression this was intentional, due to the long ass table they were sitting at. Symbolic of the distance between the two.

2 Likes

Yay! Hopefully I won’t go too overboard with the details but it’s safe to say York will do quite a bit of procratination during his investigation. Emily and George won’t be pleased to be left waiting so much lol

1 Like

L…P…in the coffee!

1 Like

Very nice first video, but there is only one here. Are there any more or is it all just on your youtube page? Either way, Keep it up.

Very nice first video, but there is only one here. Are there any more or is it all just on your youtube page? Either way, Keep it up.

They’ll post new videos when they’re ready.

@Palantheir Thanks for checking out my LP! :slight_smile: I’ve only just started so I only have the one video made so far and will update as I go. I’m recording game footage for the next video currently and It will cover CH01 and CH02 so it will be rather long.

Can you give us an estimate on the time range?

@White_Coke I wasn’t expecting people to be asking about updates so soon :worried:

Like GoldenGoat said my videos will go up whenever I’m done. I wasn’t planning on a strict upload schedule since I don’t have a backlog and I’m recording, editing and uploading as I go. I don’t have much time to work on videos during the week due to work and my long commute to and from work so I can only really work on the LP on the weekends.

I’m thinking I’ll put my CH01 video up by itself instead of combining it with the CH02 content (which will be super long anyway…like over an hour) so you guys will have something to watch sooner than later. I’m aiming to complete the CH01 video within the next two weeks.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, you’re doing a really in-depth LP so it’s expected to take a good chunk of time between videos.

Take your time, it’s a real good LP you’re doing so far.

1 Like

I don’t mean to come off as impatient, I’m fine with waiting however long it takes, I was just wondering if you had any more status updates.

2 Likes