Why Would You Remake a Classic? Let's Play Super Robot Wars 2 and All of its Remakes

No update this weekend unfortunately. I got sick and didn’t have the focus to work on editing, and there is no way I’ll be done with the episode in time. I’ll get it out next Saturday.

Mission 7: Combined
Same as previously. This is all three versions of Wilderness of Betrayal in an edited video to play simultaneously.

Preferred Hosts: Rumble, Odysee
Regular Host: Youtube

See the above post for voting options.

Yeah, so one week of no releases turned into almost three months of no releases. I got sick, which left me with fatigue for 3 weeks (no LPing and letting a lot of other responsibilities slide). By the time I caught up with life, I just barely had time to do the Cthulhu Saves Christmas special LP that I had planned for a few months. I can’t say I’m in the groove, because there won’t be a release next week, but I hope to be back to weekly releases two weeks from today. Enjoy, and don’t forget to vote and comment.

Audio is fixed

Mission 8: Destroy the Fortress
All three versions back to back.

We finally reach Kilimanjaro, only to be told that the enemy has built a base nearby, and is able to use its long range artillery to shell the Kilimanjaro fortress.

We sally forth to Destroy the Enemy Fortress.

:siren: Secret Alert :siren:

All Three Kochouki can be recruited if you convince her with Getter Robo after reducing her to 30% HP

In SRW 2G, fulfilling the secret will take us on a route split. In order to keep all three games as consistent as possible, we will not be doing this secret.

Vote:
Fan Favorite Tally: Add your votes!
(Note, this LP is crossposted on Something Awful, LP Zone, LP Beach, and Giant ITP)
Getter Team: JamieTheD (LPB), tyckspoon (GITP), Cloudmonkey98 (LPB)
Amuro: MightyPretenders (SA)

Extra Victory Gundam Pilot: Add your votes!
Mahalia: ZappaSlave (YT)
Marbet: Cloudmonkey98 (LPB)

Vote!
Keep voting for your fan favorite.
Also, vote for which member of the Shrike team (or any other Gundam pilot) gets to use the second V Gundam that we unlocked.

Mission 8: Combined
I bet y’all thought this was dead. But no. I live!

Same as previously. This is all three versions of Destroy the fortress in an edited video to play simultaneously.

This one was a real pain to edit. You’ll see I had to give up some of my goals of syncing up all the dialogue. Masaki attacking the fortress at the start of the stage in 2G, and close to the end in the others made a big difference, but there were other things. Plus, I missed some dialogue. Oh well, something to grab on NG+.

Mission 9: Duel! Rhine X1
Only two version this time. SRW 2G skips this level. And I’m only a few hours late from my preferred release time, not weeks like I have been recently. Although I wasn’t thorough enough in scrubbing and I got hit by a copyright claim on the video. Mumble grumble, stupid youtube.

Inside the enemy’s fortress, and unable to bring along the Argama. We face a winding corridor that leads to the boss of this stage, Rhine X1. Constructed by Dr. Schtroheim Heinrich, it has fused with his gynoid “daughter”, Lorelei Heinrich.

This is the first mission without 2G included. 2G just had most of the enemies from inside the fortress fight us last mission outside the fortress.

Upon her defeat, Lorelei reveals to us that Grendizer has been captured, and is being held by M’Quve, but that it’s a trap.

Vote:
(Note, this LP is crossposted on Something Awful, LP Zone, LP Beach, and Giant ITP)

Vote!
Also, vote for which member of the Shrike team (or any other Gundam pilot) gets to use the second V Gundam that we unlocked.

Mission 9: Combined
Wow. I’m actually sticking to my release schedule who would have guessed. And I already have 2/3s of next week’s release ready. I’m working hard to stay 2 weeks ahead of everything. TSE2 is 2 weeks ahead, HotJ is 1.5 weeks ahead, DAL is 1 week ahead, but with one video uploading now that will push me to 1.5 weeks ahead. The fact that this was just two sources instead of three, and the two had their dialogue line up really well made editing much easier than it could have been. 95% of the editing was done in a single day, with a little preview the day before, and a QC pass the next. The previous episode was a real pain to sync up when the dialogue wasn’t synced up at all.

Same as previously. This is both versions of Duel! Rhine X1 in an edited video to play simultaneously.

Mission 10: M’Quve’s Trap
All three versions back to back. 2G returns after having skipped the previous mission. So, we learn about the fact that Duke and Grendizer are being held captive slightly differently.

“If you want Duke to live, come to Odessa alone, Kabuto Kouji. I trust you will make the right decision.”

From the title, it’s quite obvious that this is a setup. Fortunately, we get some new friends along the way, one of them is even a secret.

:siren: Secret Alert :siren:

All Three Minerva X can be recruited by convincing her with Kouji

Vote:

Vote!

Mission 10: Combined
This one was annoying to edit together, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Same as previously. This is all three versions of M’Quve’s Trap in an edited video to play simultaneously.

Mission 11: Winds of Revenge
Two versions back to back, no 2G again. Having foiled M’Quve’s trap in the previous episode, he strikes out for vengeance. M’Quve being M’Quve it is of course another trap

This time we face missiles. We fortunately don’t get hit by any, but just looking at their stats, they’re powerful! We do lose Minerva X, sadly. Yes, we literally just got her last mission, and we lose her this time, but at least we get Judau. Also, if you look closely, you’ll notice that I completely forgot to use the ZZ in the NES version, oops! However, I did use the no-repair trick, letting Minerva get destroyed but not have to pay a repair cost since she leaves this mission.

Vote:

Vote!

Mission 11: Combined
One more easy one. And my backlog is empty I blame Echoes of Mana. I’ve stupidly gone from daily video releases to twice a day. It’s rough.

Same as previously. This is all both versions of Winds of Revenge in an edited video to play simultaneously.

Mission 12: Marionette Four
2G joins us once again, and we are in the nice position of being synced up. It’s episode 12 of the LP, but all three games agree that they are on episode 10. The NES and PSX versions skipped the first two stages, and the gameboy version skipped two recent stages.

I’ve made a slight change to the releases. As you know, I trim out audio sections from the PSX game because they keep getting copyright claimed. Rumble is actually even more aggressive compared to youtube on this point. However, Odysee, does not yet have such checks. Therefore, the Odysee version has the full game audio included, so use that one if you don’t like the lack of music in parts of the Complete Box sections.

With business in Odessa (and along the way) resolved, it’s time to fly to Hong Kong to rearm.

In Hong Kong, our brilliant tacticians decide that the smart thing to do is to split their small force into two even smaller forces to make it easier to defeat them in detail. The plan is successful in the CB version, as Amuro gets shot down, forcing me to rerecord that episode, and almost miss getting this out on time.

In return, we kill Jerrid’s first (of many?) girlfriends, and even recruit Four to our cause.

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
2G: Convince Four with Kamille and she will join you on the spot.
2 (NES): Wait for the event for Four to snap out of her mind control, and then convince her with Kamille, and she will join you on the spot.
2 CB: Wait for the event for Four to snap out of her mind control. Amuro must be deployed and not shot down for the event to play out properly. Then convince her with Kamille, and she will join you on the spot.

Vote:

Vote!

I got into Echoes of Mana, got back into Date A Live: Spirit Pledge once they released the HD version (it sucked), and then just burnt out at the end of last year. As for 2023, I think literally three good things have happened all year. But I got a crazy amount of work done and I’m back now! Sort of. I’m going to try to get back to weekly releases, but we’ll see how that goes. Anyway, 14 months later, here’s the next release.

Mission 12: Combined

In contrast to editing episode 11 together, putting this together was a real pain.

See above post for secrets.

Mission 13: Wonder!! Ultimate Robo Valsion
Yet another episode with all three versions covering the same material. That’s mildly annoying since it means a bigger pain in editing the combo release next time, but it does mean that our episode numbers are all in sync. That’s going out the window next episode, but that’s for later to worry about. For now, I have another change to announce. I’m switching this to an every other week release (and yes, I know it took me three weeks to get this put out, shut up). I’m alternating Saturdays with releases of Crush Crush and Super Robot Wars. That does mean only one stage of story progression a month, but that’s how it goes.

Part of the reason for that change is that I actually translated the script for 2G and 2 Complete Box prior to recording them. Translated Stage 11 Script. However, this also means another change. Starting next stage, the sequential release will be in a different order. 2G will go from being the first stage, to being the last stage. This lets me play the translated NES version first, transcribe that script, and use it as a base for the translations of the other two games. This time through, I needlessly translated stuff in 2G that I could have just copied from 2 NES.

Hong Kong has been conquered, but there is no rest for us. Matilda sends a distress call that her Medea is under attack in Shanghai. The Argama, ZZ, and F91 are all down for maintenance, and so we must scramble without them.

In Shanghai, we fend off several waves of enemies to protect the Medea. We are rewarded for our effort by the appearance Bian Zoldark and Masaki Andoh. Bian eventually leaves, leaving us to his underlings, and Masaki officially joins the team. Most importantly, the Medea was carrying upgrades for our team. In 2G, we get the Nu Gundam, Getter Robo G, and Mazinger Z’s Jet Scrander upgrade. In 2 Complete Box, We get the Nu Gundam and Getter Robo G as well. However, Kouji already had the Jet Scrander, and so he upgrades to Great Mazinger instead. 2 NES does not give us our upgraded units just yet.

Secret Alert!
2G: If you destroyed Getter Q instead of saving Michiru, then Katejina has joined as an enemy. Fighting her with Uso leads to secret dialogue. Getting this dialogue, unlocks secret dialogues between them in later stages.

Vote:

Vote!

Mission 13: Combined

See above for secrets.

September is going to be busy, but I think I have a sufficient buffer to not cause any delays. At this point, 2G splits off and does it’s own thing with G Gundam plot, while 2 and 2 Complete Box continue on their own for a while. The 2G plot covers G Gundam for a while.

Mission 14: The Battle of Lhasa

Translated script for anyone playing along. Translated Stage 12 (NES and PSX) Script.

A simpler episode this time. 2G has gone off to do G Gundam plot that we’ll be covering in the next few episodes. For now, 2 and 2 Complete Box have gone to Lhasa to find a shuttle booster and go into space. However, engine problems cause the Argama one more to fall behind. Fortunately, that’s a blessing in disguise, because we get an upgrade to our warship, and the NES team finally gets the upgrades that the other games got at the end of last episode. The stage is rather easy, although I was overconfident in both versions, leading to a few reloads in the PSX version, and a restart on the NES version. Fortunately, neither caused too big a problem.

Mission 14: Combined

So, the whole “September is going to be busy” warning I gave last time has come true. I was all nice and snug with a 2 week backlog, thinking there wouldn’t be any interruption. However, being a festival coordinator, plus MC, has eaten up almost all of my time for the past week and a half, and I’m down to a two day backlog (although I did stream Doki Doki Literature Club yesterday, so once I upload that, I’ll be back up to three days). I also have a wedding next weekend where I’m the best man. So more things interrupting my ability to release videos. Hopefully, I’ll pull through and everything will work out (releases are every other week, but I haven’t finished translating the next stage of 2G).

Mission 15: His Name is Undefeated of the East

Translated script for anyone playing along. Translated Stage 12 (2G) Script.

NES and Complete Box have made their way to space. However, before 2G can join them, we must first cover some G Gundam plot. We go to Shinjuku and experience episode 12 of G Gundam, Master Asia’s first appearance. Most importantly, we do the School of the Undefeated of the East’s shout. Also, Master Asia is on foot and has double move, so we need to work fast to not let him steal all of our kills.

Episode 16 is delayed because I haven’t translated it yet. I’ll be releasing another Crush Crush episode tomorrow instead. Hopefully, I’ll put out an SRW release each of the next two Saturdays, which will put me back on schedule. We’ll see if that works out.

Mission 16: Devil Gundam Appears

Translated script for anyone playing along. Translated Stage 13 (2G) Script.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal, Master Asia! We don’t get the appearance of the Shuffle Alliance, so Master Asia’s retreat is a little odd. Aside from that, most of this episode is straight from the show, and that helped a lot with translating. One more 2G exclusive G Gundam stage next, and then we’ll reunite with the other two games.

Episode went live on time, but I didn’t have time to post here.

Mission 17: Mysterious Warrior Schwarz

Translated script for anyone playing along. Translated Stage 14 (2G) Script.

Preferred Hosts: [url=https://rumble.com/v3v1m0x-lets-play-super-robot-wars-2g.-episode-17-mysterious-warrior-schwarz.html[/url], Odysee

Domon has ditched the rest of the team to pursue the Devil Gundam on his own. Rain follows him, but they step into Master Asia’s trap. Rain is forced to pilot the Shining Gundam while Domon is on foot fighting Master Asia.

Fortunately, Uso and the Shrike team arrive to help, as does Schwarz Bruder. Domon also learns Meikyo Shisui, and unlocks the Shining Gundam’s Super Mode. He also learns the power of friendship and promises to not run off on his own again and work with the rest of the team.

With this, we wrap up the G Gundam side story, and reunite with the NES and PSX versions of the game next episode. This was supposed to be the three short and easy stages (that let me stay up to date, and maybe even get ahead). That did not happen.