When the fire fades, the ash will rise... Let's Play Dark Souls 3

I had to check my own LP to see if I actually said what I am being credited for. And it turns out I did. It’s mostly because Gwyndolin is probably the only god still around. There are more that we know of who may or may not still exist and are unaccounted for, such as Gwynevere (tons of theories surrounding her though) and her husband Flann (the only god not tied to Anor Londo that I know of). Of course there’s also the Sun’s First Born, but he’s been stripped of his deific status so I’m not sure he should even be counted.

I can’t believe I still know stuff about Souls Lore like who the hell Flann is.

Did we ever get a definitive answer for who the heck Sen was and why his house was full of traps??

Andre says:

Sen’s Fortress is an old proving grounds built by the ancients [sic] Gods.
It is the only route leading to the great Anor Londo.

BIt’s conceivable that the fortress was set up by agents of Gwyndolin, possibly the serpent dudes, considering that they use lightning, which was linked to Gwyn’s magic. Other than the zone name, Sen himself (herself?) isn’t mentioned in DS1, but might be the architect (but probably not Gwyn’s first-born). The fortress is the first step of getting to Gwynevere, killing Gwyn, and becoming fuel for the First Flame. A crucible of sorts, to separate the wheat from the chaff and make sure that the Chosen Undead are worthy. This continues into Anor Londo itself with the archers, the painting guardians, and ultimately with the fight against the illusions of Ornstein and Smough.
Sen’s could also be an old training ground for Silver Knights, since we see their statues lying in piles everywhere, but I think that’s reading too much into it (and there’s no way besides the gargoyle taxi to get between it and Anor Londo).

Flann might not be tied to Gwyn, but he’s still a fire god. I guess that’s why Gwynevere took to him, and maybe possibly moved to Heide’s Tower of Flame with him. Based on architecture and the fact that you kill Ornstein there, the place is clearly inspired by Anor Londo.

1 Like

update

Guest Commentator: @Meowtroid

Let’s get started on a new round of videos with a new guest! Also, Lobo is back, I guess. Whatever.

Anyway! This video is a little short, since this boss fight comes immediately after the final Lord of Cinder, so I had to pad the video length a little bit with some more NPC questing.

I also promise that I will - one day - be good at this game.

The Dancer’s existence is alluded to by the item description of Vordt’s soul.

Vordt served as an outrider knight, never far from the fleeting dancer.

She might also be tied to Gwynevere, since you can make Soothing Sunlight out of her soul. The item description reads:

Special miracle granted to the maidens of Gwynevere, Princess of the Sun. Restores high HP for self and vicinity. The miracles of Gwynevere, the princess cherished by all, grant their blessing to a great many warriors.

She might also be a “distant daughter of the former royal family [of Lothric]”, as her soul’s item description reads, but I don’t think that’s incredibly relevant to anything.

update

Let’s start exploring the Lothric Castle area and then pivot off in a completely different direction. Our little detour takes us to a horribly toxic place with monsters and men, just constantly buffing each other up. No judgment, though. We’ll reserve that for the boss…

2 Likes

The maybe baby has been pounded into gravy.

ᴵᵐ ˢᵒʳʳʸ

You were born a child of dragons. What could you possibly fear?

Well, Oceiros old boy, let me tell you about this thing called lightning damage…

Patches has already escaped the Souls games, he’s in Armored Core 4 Answer as Patches The Good Luck.

It wouldn’t be an AC game if there wasn’t painful engrish in it.

Fun Fact: Patches only shows up in games directed by Miyazaki.

Ergo Patches is Miyazaki’s self insert. Fight me if you disagree.

2 Likes

update

This episode is a test of one’s memory and a challenge of the mind, and although some of us do well, one person in particular might have to go to Dark Souls Night School.

So, for the next little bit, let’s pretend that I’m the Parry King™.

wait, i was fired?

Yeah, I explained it in an earlier video. As an artist, no one could tie you down, so you fired yourself off camera.

Truly brilliant.

ohhhh, so that’s why ive been trapped in the fired zone for a week

So… the Untended Firelink shrine has no sun. The Cemetery of Ash one has the wrong sun. Spooky.

Interesting note about the chest you find the Silver Serpent Ring in. It’s in both versions and you can open and pick up the ring in both versions. However, you can only get it once, if you already have it the chest will be already opened and empty.

And if you don’t talk to the Shrine Handmaid in the Cemetery shrine all game and talk to the Untended one first the Cemetery one will seemingly recognize you. Implying that the Cemetery shrine is somehow in the future (Gundyr may support this) even though some other things point to the untended one being later in the timeline and… it’s a very confusing area indeed until you talk to Ludleth, which makes more sense of it, however, let’s ignore that, we haven’t seen it yet after all. Because if we’re willing to be stupid it gets better: Let’s pretend the thing with the chest is not a gameplay conceit and both versions of the shrine are simultaneously in the future and past of one another, selectively. Yeah, I have no idea. This post is what’s wrong with lore youtubers.

Also: Lobo might be bad about forgetting stuff, but one guy in the bonus videos of my LP forgot about Anor Londo somehow.

1 Like

I wonder what would happen to that certain subsection of Dark Souls fans if the next SoulsBorneWhatever game had nothing written in its item descriptions.

:skull:

They’d have too much freedom when it comes to interpreting stuff and would go to war with other loresters who believe other things until only one is left standing.

Something something, dark souls of fandoms, something something I’ll get my coat

update

It’s time for my favorite boss fight!! (In the main game, at least.) The area to get there, however, shows how the end of this game ratchets up the difficulty, and it’s not going to let up until we’re done.

When we got onto the subject of yoga, I got it in my head that I should create this, I guess:

(The image is from a Google Image search, I just added the words.)

And given the fact that I love the boss fight of this episode so much, I made a dumb little video early last year to show it off.
(Mild spoilers for an item I haven’t gotten yet.)