When the fire fades, the ash will rise... Let's Play Dark Souls 3

You were born a child of dragons. What could you possibly fear?

Well, Oceiros old boy, let me tell you about this thing called lightning damage…

Patches has already escaped the Souls games, he’s in Armored Core 4 Answer as Patches The Good Luck.

It wouldn’t be an AC game if there wasn’t painful engrish in it.

Fun Fact: Patches only shows up in games directed by Miyazaki.

Ergo Patches is Miyazaki’s self insert. Fight me if you disagree.

2 Likes

update

Guest Commentator: @Meowtroid

This episode is a test of one’s memory and a challenge of the mind, and although some of us do well, one person in particular might have to go to Dark Souls Night School.

So, for the next little bit, let’s pretend that I’m the Parry King™.

wait, i was fired?

Yeah, I explained it in an earlier video. As an artist, no one could tie you down, so you fired yourself off camera.

Truly brilliant.

ohhhh, so that’s why ive been trapped in the fired zone for a week

So… the Untended Firelink shrine has no sun. The Cemetery of Ash one has the wrong sun. Spooky.

Interesting note about the chest you find the Silver Serpent Ring in. It’s in both versions and you can open and pick up the ring in both versions. However, you can only get it once, if you already have it the chest will be already opened and empty.

And if you don’t talk to the Shrine Handmaid in the Cemetery shrine all game and talk to the Untended one first the Cemetery one will seemingly recognize you. Implying that the Cemetery shrine is somehow in the future (Gundyr may support this) even though some other things point to the untended one being later in the timeline and… it’s a very confusing area indeed until you talk to Ludleth, which makes more sense of it, however, let’s ignore that, we haven’t seen it yet after all. Because if we’re willing to be stupid it gets better: Let’s pretend the thing with the chest is not a gameplay conceit and both versions of the shrine are simultaneously in the future and past of one another, selectively. Yeah, I have no idea. This post is what’s wrong with lore youtubers.

Also: Lobo might be bad about forgetting stuff, but one guy in the bonus videos of my LP forgot about Anor Londo somehow.

1 Like

I wonder what would happen to that certain subsection of Dark Souls fans if the next SoulsBorneWhatever game had nothing written in its item descriptions.

:skull:

They’d have too much freedom when it comes to interpreting stuff and would go to war with other loresters who believe other things until only one is left standing.

Something something, dark souls of fandoms, something something I’ll get my coat

update

It’s time for my favorite boss fight!! (In the main game, at least.) The area to get there, however, shows how the end of this game ratchets up the difficulty, and it’s not going to let up until we’re done.

When we got onto the subject of yoga, I got it in my head that I should create this, I guess:

(The image is from a Google Image search, I just added the words.)

And given the fact that I love the boss fight of this episode so much, I made a dumb little video early last year to show it off.
(Mild spoilers for an item I haven’t gotten yet.)

update

Let’s explore a brand new library and learn what it means to misuse a microwave. The Grand Archives is a big place with a lot of nooks and crannies, so it’s going to take a little bit to explore everything.

Also, be prepared for the most exciting PVP performances the world has ever seen… or something.

1 Like

That lever you don’t know what it does, I believe it opens a bookshelf somewhere near where you first run into the wax people that has a titanite slab behind it.

1 Like

I just looked it up and you’re right! Oh man, that would have been incredibly useful to know in the many times I’ve played this game before… though I doubt I would have found it on my own anyway.

Here’s some speculation based on item descriptions and cut content!

The wax that you dunk your head is probably isn’t Seath’s body, and probably not semen either (since semen tends not to harden into a hard shell). The Scholars use it for the same reason you do: to avoid being Cursed by the book arm ghosts. There’s a cut piece of headgear called the Scholar’s Shed Skin, which would (allegedly) provide immunity to Curse, and work together with the Scholar’s Robe, but it was removed from the game files. Its item description reads:

Skin shed from a sage of the Grand Archives. The ivory wax has hardened, forming a mask. Wax protected the inquirer from exposure to the foulness that permeated the majority of the texts, preventing one’s anchor of reason from being too easily washed away.

The reason why the Scholars dunk their head in wax, then, is to protect them from the “foulness” of the books, not the content (since they appear to be able to see quite well). Additionally, the item description for the Scholar’s Robe states that it has “quite deliberately” been stained with wax, presumably for the same purpose, since it’s got a high Curse resist stat.

The Scholars study the books of the Grand Archives to learn Sorcery, specifically crystal sorceries. This isn’t explicitly stated, but come on. They’re called Scholars, they cast crystal sorceries, and they’re in a magical library. Presumably, while this isn’t Seath’s Archives, the knowledge about crystal sorcery was probably kept around, since it’s really important to be able to prolong your life through magical means (instead of the Undead Curse).

Studying crystal sorcery is probably why the Crystal Sage (or his brother) is here as well, since Big Hat Logan needs to be referenced again lest we forget he existed. At least he’s got his shirt on this time.

1 Like

update

A bit of a filler episode as we round out the top of the archives. Well, the library part anyway.

Today, we get to find out what happens when our bird boys become all grown up!

2 Likes

update

Back from a little hiatus with some more Dark Souls!!!

We’re going to finish up the rest of the main game for the most part. We’ll be saving the end for, well, the end. In the mean time, I prove how good I am at fighting a boss and then how average I am at beating a boss.

There’s also a couple of quest lines coming to an end…

3 Likes

Lothric and Lorian is one of my favorite fights. I just like how it builds and the music is awesome. It’s a suitable climax for the Lothric series of areas.

1 Like