When the fire fades, the ash will rise... Let's Play Dark Souls 3

It appears that the dungeon might be for the Wretches that we’ve seen. The weapons they drop allude to them being failed forms of dragons. It also seems that - because of their heads - they may be dragon/human hybrids, but were locked away due to being failures.

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with a certain future boss who looks pretty similar to these guys.

update

Guest Commentator: @prahanormal

Hand puns! Get yer hand puns here!

We’re going to go all the way through the rest of the dungeon and the new area to take on the Lord of Cinder hiding out down here.

We also talk a bit about video games… that sure is weird.

3 Likes

This is the first time I ever saw someone just rush into the big group of jailers. The game expects you to sneak around and gives you two other enemies you that will aggro on the jailers (the Lycanthrope in one of the cells as well as the mimic. The spookbabies may also aggro on them, but I never tried. But they are imprisoned after all and those dicks in the room ARE jailers, so…)

I don’t like Yhorm as a boss fight but I like him as a set piece, it’s a real cool encounter if you view him that way. It’s just that the fight is not very engaging in gameplay terms. The gimmick is easy to figure out if you played DeS (even then you have to find out how the Storm Ruler works here, charging it is not very intuitive). If you don’t know about DeS you might not figure it out at all because I don’t think a lot of people read the messages during boss fights (the one next to the Storm Ruler giving somewhat of a hint)

The most disappointing thing about the Yhorm boss fight is probably that the Storm Ruler doesn’t do extra damage against giants other than Yhorm. It’s just a Demons’ Souls callback.

1 Like

HOORAY!! :tada:

(I have literally never not run into all of them at once in any of my playthroughs.)

update

I really do wonder about those mimics sometimes…

After that, we’re entering a covenant area that is pretty notorious for fight clubs and invasions, so let’s hope that things stay quiet while we explore.

My great graphic design skills in all its glory:

1 Like

Dark Souls: "We should use mimics sparingly, in an attempt to surprise the player after their defenses have lowered."
Dark Souls 3: “Where’s my ‘I <3 Mimics’ shirt I need to get to fucking work.”

2 Likes

sites that let you make your own tshirts should be illegal…

2 Likes

Once people thought up the adage “Chain curves in, treasure within. Chain curves out, better watch out”, the jig was up.

That you see your first mimic in Sen’s Funhouse makes sense thematically, too. Even the treasure chests are trying to kill you!

update

This video is a little bit longer than the ones that have come befoINVADING ANOTHER WORLD
There’s actually some PVP in this episode to prove that I’m good at this game, I promiINVADING ANOTHER WORLD
Okay, maybe there’s a bit too many invaINVADING ANOTHER WORLD
Oh no, it’s not stopping! IT’S NOT STOPPINVADING ANOTHER WORLD

2 Likes

this particular piece of the invasion mechanic looks like some Hot Bullshit and i’m glad it’s limited to this area

2 Likes

It’s incredibly :3 that you try not to spoil Anor Londo when the actual reveal is supposed to be at the start of the area. All you gotta do is look slightly up. (Also, Yuria will actually tell you to go there calling the area by name if she’s still around)

Also: I hate to be that guy (I actually don’t) but the guy you claimed used the Zweihänder (Ultra Greatsword moveset) actually CLEARLY!!!(!(!!!)) used the Flamberge (Greatsword moveset). C’mon guys!

in my defence, I was watching the video on youtube and also I didn’t even know that was a weapon. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, it’s a weapon that only ever drops from the greatsword wielding thrall thieves with a very low chance. And there’s so few of them in the game that most people never get one. I only got one in… 10 or so playthroughs. Basically it’s a smaller Zweihänder with a wavy blade.

I was looking towards the hilt and somehow didn’t notice the curves in the blade, even after pausing it in my video editor, but yeah, if Andy wants to take the blame and stop all these people owning me, that’s cool. I mean, I guess it’s cool, 'cause I’m totally not getting owned.

Not like that Silver Knight I couldn’t parry to save my life. That totally owned me.

update

There comes a time in most Undeads’ lives when they think about settling down and getting hitched. And when an Undead is wed, they find the strength to kill a god…'s killer. This episode, we explore the remains of Anor Londo and take down the final Lord of Cinder: Aldrich…

2 Likes

I had to check my own LP to see if I actually said what I am being credited for. And it turns out I did. It’s mostly because Gwyndolin is probably the only god still around. There are more that we know of who may or may not still exist and are unaccounted for, such as Gwynevere (tons of theories surrounding her though) and her husband Flann (the only god not tied to Anor Londo that I know of). Of course there’s also the Sun’s First Born, but he’s been stripped of his deific status so I’m not sure he should even be counted.

I can’t believe I still know stuff about Souls Lore like who the hell Flann is.

Did we ever get a definitive answer for who the heck Sen was and why his house was full of traps??

Andre says:

Sen’s Fortress is an old proving grounds built by the ancients [sic] Gods.
It is the only route leading to the great Anor Londo.

BIt’s conceivable that the fortress was set up by agents of Gwyndolin, possibly the serpent dudes, considering that they use lightning, which was linked to Gwyn’s magic. Other than the zone name, Sen himself (herself?) isn’t mentioned in DS1, but might be the architect (but probably not Gwyn’s first-born). The fortress is the first step of getting to Gwynevere, killing Gwyn, and becoming fuel for the First Flame. A crucible of sorts, to separate the wheat from the chaff and make sure that the Chosen Undead are worthy. This continues into Anor Londo itself with the archers, the painting guardians, and ultimately with the fight against the illusions of Ornstein and Smough.
Sen’s could also be an old training ground for Silver Knights, since we see their statues lying in piles everywhere, but I think that’s reading too much into it (and there’s no way besides the gargoyle taxi to get between it and Anor Londo).

Flann might not be tied to Gwyn, but he’s still a fire god. I guess that’s why Gwynevere took to him, and maybe possibly moved to Heide’s Tower of Flame with him. Based on architecture and the fact that you kill Ornstein there, the place is clearly inspired by Anor Londo.

1 Like

update

Guest Commentator: @Meowtroid

Let’s get started on a new round of videos with a new guest! Also, Lobo is back, I guess. Whatever.

Anyway! This video is a little short, since this boss fight comes immediately after the final Lord of Cinder, so I had to pad the video length a little bit with some more NPC questing.

I also promise that I will - one day - be good at this game.