Western Cartoon Megathread - Fusing Human Bodies as a Visual Metaphor

you can jump into it anywhere i’m pretty sure, but if you want a favorite episode, “The Hug” is wonderfully awkward

1 Like

I was talking to a co-worker today and they said that the best cartoon show from they were growing up (they’re around 23-ish) was Fairly Odd Parents and I’ve rarely seen someone be so wrong

2 Likes

Cool fact: Recess shares a lot of voice actors and staff with Hey Arnold! (Joe Ansolabehere worked on the series for a while then quit to create it, Paul Germain also worked on HA! and Rugrats with Craig Bartlett). One of the Ashleys and Upside Down Girl is voiced by Helga’s VA and the first voice of Arnold is King Bob. In fact, a LOT of the Disney animated shows from the 90s/00s share staff with it, Jim Lang even did music for Lloyd in Space.

So…yeah, as you can tell I love Hey Arnold. Got back into it in 2015 and it couldn’t have been a better time since the Jungle Movie got announced then. Stoked for it, and I love going back and watching episodes of the show I never saw as a kid like the opera one (you will never hear La Habanera the same way after seeing that, trust me)

I’ve watched some SU episodes (the Initial D parody one had me grinning ear to ear) but I need to watch more. Also Star Vs. seems really good from the one episode I watched (Blood Moon Ball) as well as Gravity Falls (the D&D episode, which was very fun). Definitely gotta just sit down one day and watch more of all three.

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Fillmore! I wish that Disney would release these old shows on DVD.

3 Likes

I’ve been missing that show for a long time. It seems like such a weird idea in hindsight, being a kids’ version of an '80s-style cop show, but it was one of the best shows I’ve seen from Disney.

I wish they would bring it back in some way. Not a reboot or anything like that, but maybe putting the old episodes in rerun rotation for afternoons.

Either I had a bit of an unconventional school growing up or I’m not your typical nerd type but that was sort of the theme with the “cool kids” from my youth. By and large they were actually cool people who were friendly and open-minded. There was a distinct “bully” class to the social ecosystem and they were menaces to be sure (especially where homosexuality was concerned) but there was fairly limited overlap between them and the “popular kids.”

1 Like

I remember Fillmore! Also pretty much every One Saturday Morning block show because it was the only thing I watched besides Fox Kids due to lacking cable. Pepper Ann’s theme gets stuck in my head every time I think about it. “Who’s that girl, what’s her name, is she cool, is she lame…”

What really blows is that you cannot watch any of those shows legit anywhere. Teacher’s Pet actually has lost episodes because they only aired about twice in the show’s run. Disney’s really aversive to releasing anything on disc or at least streaming from that time period and it’s a huge shame.

yo check this out it’s a short cartoon in the style of a documentary

2 Likes

Wow, that’s really sweet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Steven Universe!
It was a steven bomb.
First three episodes were good character pieces.
Last two were them continuing the main plot.

See you at the end of this month when Season 5 starts cause Steven Universe has the worst TV schedule I’ve ever seen.

I mean that sounds like a pretty good wait for a Steven Bomb.

At least this time we won’t have to wait too long for the new season to start.

SU scheduling is the worst scheduling I can think of since Season 1 of Agents of SHIELD.

It is still bad and I will never stop letting everybody know how bad it truly is.

I’m not so sure. Dropping a handful of episodes at a time is a cool way to build focus around a particular story beat that couldn’t really have been done in an earlier era of television, and in a show that has equally important story-relevant and character-relevant episodes I don’t think any sort of weekly schedule broken up by some months between seasons or season halves would be a much better prospect, especially not when it would be waiting one full week for a ten minute episode.

I’m not saying get rid of the bomb format. Keep the bombs but split it between weekly releases and bombs.

Stevenbombs are a good way to focus around a story beat but they don’t need to be the only way to deliver the show. They also tend to have a weird variable on when they’ll be back and the season structure makes 0 sense, they should get rid of seasons for the show and just number them all.

Some bombs as well have episodes that would have been better split off for weekly releases with a double or triple episode to cap off that piece.

To add some more confusion we’re getting some form of bomb for the season 5 premiere two double episodes one day after another.

Just to clear up as well this is more pointed at CN since they’re making weird rescheduling changes to the show.

Don’t forget the seemingly random pattern of online releases, with the episode that was supposed to air on the 31st suddenly showing up today on the CN app.

There was new Steven Universe, interesting stuff happened.

The show will return whenever.

Actually, it will return in 25 years. On Showtime.

Please be ready for Steven Universe: The Return

I really liked the latest Steven Universe episodes…so much things happened and Lars getting some cowardly character Development.