Western Cartoon Megathread - Fusing Human Bodies as a Visual Metaphor

yeah i love the cool kids a lot! because like, they’re actually cool rather than “cool” :smiley:

I think my favourite gay moment is just the entirity of the episode with mystery girl in it. I hope she comes back!!
As well as literally every other moment. They’re important to me.

3 Likes

SU is one of the few shows I think could ever get gayer than Eurovision. I love it.

I don’t see any mention of the old show “Recess” so I’ll take that one it was pretty good. I centers around schoolchildren each with their own unique personality as they try to survive their schooldays.

1 Like

Reboot was really good.

Also Swat Kats, damn it!

And Gargoyles, fucking fight me it was real good!

Tale Spin! Duck Tales! Goof Troop!

But gosh I’m so happy things can be so gay now. Please get gayer, media. Never stop.

Teen Titans Go is a surprisingly funny cartoon.

1 Like

Recess owns and needs more reppin’

2 Likes

I disagree strongly. And damn, what a polarizing show it is.

1 Like

I think the biggest problem with it is the branding. I honestly wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it as I do if it weren’t for the fact that it just collapses in on itself whenever they do episodes taking jabs at the critics. They talk about how cartoons are kiddy and don’t have to be deep and I’m fine with a cartoon just being something funny to laugh at. Not everything has to be deep. I do have a problem when the IP you’re using to get that message across was known for having a pretty deep, well-animated and overall more mature tone to it. Not to say the original Teen Titans show didn’t have humor, but it had an overarching plot that kept viewers like me interested in it. TTG is trying so hard to distance itself from the original that it ends up insulting people who liked the original while alienating a lot of viewers that like it whenever they take shots at criticisms.

And that false advertising on the return of Slade was particularly insulting.

Teen Titans Go is really hit or miss. The best jokes, in general, are the ones about how Cyborg is clearly like 35. He’s like 3x the height of everybody else and gets really nostalgic for the 80s.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched the original show so I’m just taking it as it is. A silly little show about DC characters.

1 Like

I can see how it’d appeal then. I’m just gonna shove a recommendation for the old show here too. It’s p. good in general. I’m not gonna say it’s the best thing ever, nothing is perfect. But it was a pretty solid show for its time and it still holds up pretty well from what I remember of it. I should probably sit down and rewatch it myself sometime though. The characters are pretty much like TTG except they’re a bit more grounded and fleshed out, basically they’re the more adult-minded versions. I mean okay, Beastboy is still a bit of a dope but he’s not that much of a fool.

Okay maybe he was but even he had his moments :V

I’m not much of a fan of the original titans show, but even by its own merits I can’t stand TTG. I think my biggest problem is that the characters dont feel differentiated besides their powers, they almost always just end up being stupid, goofy assholes.

That and the fact that I just don’t find it funny. :shrug:

Yeah I think the problem is that they took all the serious parts out and left the light-hearted parts. So there isn’t really that much different between their current incarnations. This ends up making Robin and Raven probably the most different out of all of them. And I can’t tell which of the two is the most different.

Does anyone else remember Jackie Chan Adventures? Because that’s a series that I enjoyed the hell out of when I was young. From what I remember, it had a really good mix of action and humor that most shows for kids really lacked

3 Likes

That show is sooo good.

I was always so disappointed as a kid that real Jackie Chan wasn’t more like cartoon Jackie Chan.

1 Like

I’m watching a lot of cartoons that currently deliver on having actually good stories and developed characters so it’s nice to have TTG’s just general goofyness to relax over.

I don’t really see it either as a continuation of the other TT show, more like it’s own thing. They should hop back and revisit TT though, the TT film wasn’t the worst DC animated film.

1 Like

I forget exactly how the final episode of the original show went. I think I might’ve missed that one when I was younger. So I can’t say if the end was definitive or not. They could go for a reboot of the original or they could try doing something similar with another group of heroes. I didn’t realize as a kid that the Teen Titans was actually based off of a series of DC comics, I just thought it was a cartoon about Robin getting his own group of crime-fighting buddies.

Speaking of general goofiness, I’ve heard that Gumball is a real good show but I haven’t had time to get into it. Can anyone give me a good starting point for that one?

God, that’s a tough one. I can’t think of any episodes that really stand out.

Mike Tyson Mysteries is a delightful romp.