This Zack And Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure LP Is A Stub.

I find it a little odd that the ghosts literally scare Zack to death when he gets too close, considering he’s building a haunted golden skeleton and banishes a spooky cursed spirit in every level.

Maybe it’s because Barbaros and the chests don’t have the angry eye(s)?

Sorry for the delay, anyone holding out valiantly for my update schedule. I’m fighting off a cold and a rough throat.

/Polsy!#barbarosfacts poll

As far as SCARING THE LIFE out of Zack, spookin’ is all about intent. If you want to spook a person to death then it’s totally doable. If you just want to give them a quick yip or some help, that’s also doable. Ghosting is difficult man.

2 Likes

Update - still illin’.

/Polsy!

2 Likes

MAD. SCIENCE.

If you haven’t been keeping along with Barbaros’ description of his body parts at home (or in the second post), I’ll have a bonus video with his description of them once we’ve gathered them all. I can’t wait, we’re so close!!!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I forgot about the second post. I really love how Barbaros describes a bunch of the latter treasures as basically stress relief. “My thigh can decapitate a cow with one blow, my belt, on the other hand, feels like a good friend.”

…though if he has used these treasures before, I get the feeling that these artifacts were actually separate items that merged with him when he was cursed. I originally thought that the parts of his body just happened to get certain powers when it happened, but if that were true I’m not sure how he’d use his ribcage to light ships on fire.

I wonder if maybe it was only being turned into a bunch of magic shit that was the curse, and then someone deliberately separated his bits because they’re better at making connections than Zack is. But like, later, so he had plenty of time to get a lot of mileage out of being a MAGIC pirate.

Sometimes wishes do come true!

Not ours though

/Polsy!

Barbaros’s Bits/Polsy!

1 Like

Maybe Barbaros wouldn’t need a party belt to feel less lonely if he didn’t betray the people who helped rebuild him. People tend to like you less when your evil plan involves backstabbing them.

Unlike the airship level, I do not remember the next stage at all. Pretty sure I know what stage comes after that, though. And I don’t envy you having to cover that one.

I know everyone saw Barbaros being a betraying turd from a mile away, but I must admit that I didn’t expect Rose to become an ally. I figured she would just follow you to Treasure Island and have an “AHA! I followed you and took the treasure while you weren’t looking!” moment at the end of the game.
Of course, she could also be a betraying turd, so I guess we’ll find out what happens later.

I apologize for the increasing delay between videos, I’m having trouble finding time and losing a bit of steam for recording. But we’re real close to the end! And I will complete this for sure! Video is still processing as of this post but it should be ready pretty soon. Also! The final #barbarosfact! Get your votes in soon!

1 Like

Is it just me or does Barbaros look uncannily like a Ganondorf reincarnation.

Oh, not just me then.

Ah yes, the Kraken chapter. I vaguely remembered the Kraken once I saw the ship, but I definitely forgot how amazing the goons are in this one. I can’t tell if my favorite one is the one that poses with you or the one who’s trying to appease the Kraken with the barrel of fish.

I hope you’re ready for the end of the game.

This isn’t it, but soon! The FINAL BATTLE approaches! We just have to get through the toughest level in the game first.

/Polsy!

1 Like

I remember playing this game shortly after it came out. I remember getting exactly as far as this level, only to give up because I couldn’t make the sword fighting work. So, allow me to say, thank you for showing me how it’s done!

(Also, wow, after the first few levels, it turns out I forgot basically everything about this game.)

Hoo boy, Treasure Island. It’s clearly a stage they want you to spend Platinum Tickets in, given the length and the amount of experimenting you need to do. And the sword fighting. That being said, some of the traps are pretty cool, like Barbarossa using the bell against you. I hope you had Platinum Tickets to spare to record those deaths, though. Having to reset the entire stage every time to show those off seems like it would take… a while.

Ha ha, yeah, using platinum tickets. Ha ha, that’s totally what I did.

Ha. Ha.

I’ve got the footage for the final battle recorded (I think), I just need to find time to put it all together. And record audio. And considering putting in COOL GRAPHICS for the #barbarosfacts outcome who knooooows

1 Like

Hot dang, it took me a lot longer to get this done than I was hoping. But it’s done! I don’t think I’ll have time to do any post-game stuff, but hopefully this has been an entertaining ride for everyone!

End rating for #barbarosfacts: I’ll give you Wit Like a Whip! You guys got stumped on some of those! You’re all real pirate heroes in my heart, though!

/Polsy!

2 Likes

Oh man, I forgot that Barbaros “fact” about the cow. Go look up a guy called “Tarrare” sometime. He was a real person and by the time he was 15 or 16 he was eating the equivalent of a quarter of a cow per day. That’s just the start of an utterly bonkers story.

Thanks for playing, man, it was a fun adventure!

Admittedly, I thought Barbaros would be more over the top than he actually was. Like the one where he supposedly split a cannonball in half. I said that was false, not because I thought he’d get owned, but because I thought he’d succeed, but then his crew would be hit by the cannonball anyway.

I don’t quite know if my initial analysis of “level-based Sierra game” is entirely correct. There are definitely some parts of the game that are tricky, but it also shows a lot of restraint at times as well. And I think some of the more death-heavy stages are less so just for the sake of having deaths, and more because they just involve more complex puzzles.
Either way though, this is still a really charming game. I love its style, and its puzzles are really good. And I still love Zack, even if he’s a bit of a dick.